The Xbox One Is Turning Your Phone Into the Only Remote You Need

The universal integration is great in principal, but personally I couldn't rely on my already iffy battery with my Nexus 5.

Really? How long's your battery lasting? I can get 18 hours out of mine on full brightness and running GPS apps to and from meetings (i cycle and i like to keep track, normally a couple of hours a day).

Really? How long's your battery lasting? I can get 18 hours out of mine on full brightness and running GPS apps to and from meetings (i cycle and i like to keep track, normally a couple of hours a day).

2-3 hours of screen on time, which is what matters if you're interacting with the screen. Standby is probably similar to your 18 hours mark. The Nexus phones always have batteries slightly smaller than Samsung/Sony/HTC. I go with them for the price/vanilla Android, then live with the downsides to them.

I think using a tablet would be better as a remote than a phone. 7" ideally, not too big. It's then basically like a WiiU remote for your XB1 :p

2-3 hours of screen on time, which is what matters if you're interacting with the screen.

Nah, mines my business phone so it gets a fair amount of use in that respect too.

Just going through my history it reckons i spent 1 hour 34 mins actually talking on the phone.

I get them for the same reason mate, i'd much rather a decent well equipped phone with out any of the crap bundled in by the 'other companies' than one that has a few hours extra battery life.

Now if only folks making those god-awful cable boxes would take a hint and start working on this stuff themselves.

Not sure what they mean by this line?? Both of the cable providers I have had over the past 2 years have apps for both Android and iOS that let me control all options of my cable box, including the DVR.

I think this weekend I may try and hook my cable box to my One again. My first impression of it when they One was first released was not all that positive, and my wife downright hated it. My dad who comes over my house often also could not get the hang of it, even with all the voice control, so it just was not there yet.

Not sure what they mean by this line?? Both of the cable providers I have had over the past 2 years have apps for both Android and iOS that let me control all options of my cable box, including the DVR.

I think this weekend I may try and hook my cable box to my One again. My first impression of it when they One was first released was not all that positive, and my wife downright hated it. My dad who comes over my house often also could not get the hang of it, even with all the voice control, so it just was not there yet.

I know its another $25.. but the media remote has been a godsend for me (meaning not having to listen to my wife bitch about using the controller to watch tv.  I really hope we get an option soon to have it launch an app on boot. 

I've hooked up my Freeview HD (UK) box and got the preview update/Smartglass. I'm very, very impressed. The ability to be in-game and say "Xbox go to BBC One" and it actually ignore the SD channel and put you straight into the HD channel is simple bliss. Then after finishing that, saying "Xbox, go to Forza Motorsport 5" and it kicks off exactly where you left it is just beautiful.

The ability to browse the TV guide on my phone while the TV is still dedicated to the channel is awesome. Love it.

How did you get the preview? I really really want the one guide to work!

I know its another $25.. but the media remote has been a godsend for me (meaning not having to listen to my wife bitch about using the controller to watch tv.  I really hope we get an option soon to have it launch an app on boot. 

Haha yeah exactly the same here. It also feels nicer than using the control and saves on batteries if you don't have a charge kit.

Some people make it sound like a one or the other choice here, no one says you can't just keep using your remote now or something.  It's still good to have the smartglass option there and allows for you to, as some have said, browse the guide and do other things while the TV is showing a game or a movie/tv channel.    It's not just about the remote control, that's only one new thing.

How did you get the preview? I really really want the one guide to work!

I got the email a while back when they bulk messaged people. I'm pretty sure you still can register but if you know anyone who's in the preview, let them sign in on your X1 and download the app on your console which registers yours.