Diet soda business is in freefall

Diet Pop however is, and has been for a long time, the worst you can drink.. No calories sure, but the rest of it is generally worse for your body. That and it tastes bad.

Personally I go for Ginger Ale, or one of the throwback pop's made with REAL sugar, not this corn crap.

1) You cant prove that

2) It is REAL sugar

Honestly, what is the problem with tap water? I understand you're in Canada, but I assume that water in Canada is just as clean as water in America when pushed out of a tap...

Im guessing "the NWO put fluoride in it to make people stupid"

Honestly, what is the problem with tap water? I understand you're in Canada, but I assume that water in Canada is just as clean as water in America when pushed out of a tap...

I donno about where you are, but I've never, not Once, had tap water from a town/city that tasted good. It all has that chemical aftertaste from being made "safe"..

I am always confused as to why people buy bottled water when the tap is just fine...

because not all the places in the world has tap water that tastes good; in fact i just returned from a tourism point in my country where the tap water tastes so damn bad (because the water it's really hard - lots of calcareous) that only bottled water is good in there.

I donno about where you are, but I've never, not Once, had tap water from a town/city that tasted good. It all has that chemical aftertaste from being made "safe"..

Then buy a Brita Filter...

I have had bad tasting tap water in some places, but I can't really tell the difference between bottled water and Philadelphia city tap...

Then buy a Brita Filter...

I have had bad tasting tap water in some places, but I can't really tell the difference between bottled water and Philadelphia city tap...

Great idea.. I'm gonna carry a Brita Filter wherever I go from now on.. Except at home where my well water is fine.. This is much more convenient than just getting a can of pop. /s

No, when I go out, or am at work, I want something quick and now.. and that's often pop. At work, this happens after I empty my water bottle I bring with me, or when I go out for Lunch. 

And regardless we are off topic. the point was, in MANY cases, Pop is FAR more convenient, and cheaper, than the alternatives. 

It's true, walk through your grocery story or corner store to see examples.

Coca-cola sell all manner of non-carbonated drinks here in Japan.

Stop buying the sugary rubbish and they might start selling their less unhealthy stuff where you live.

Sodas are nothing but empty calories, which is a major cause of weight gain.

Once again, I challenge you to go one week, consuming nothing but soda -- as much as you like.

Report back on how much weight you have 'gained'. ;)

Once again, I challenge you to go one week, consuming nothing but soda -- as much as you like.

Report back on how much weight you have 'gained'. ;)

That would be suicidal as soda is utterly void of essential nutrients. Anyway, empty calories are just that, empty: they add on top of your daily calorie intake without providing you with any actual nutritional value; since you still need to eat enough to get those essential nutrients, you end up taking more calories than you need. More calories than you need => weight gain. That's a simple fact backed by every study ever done.

The Aspartame and Acesulfame K are bad for your health. For me personally, I used to feel more hungry after consuming Coke Zero/Diet Pepsi. As a result I put on quite a few pounds. But after a golden realisation, I dropped all these drinks from my diet and my hunger pangs went down and so did my weight.

Strange. Others may have even subtle experiences.

I was wondering if the artificial sweeteners are harmful for liver and kidneys in the long run. Say after 50 years of continuous intake?

I love the taste of tap water. bottled water is not only a ripoff,but doesn't taste like anything. my favorite type of water is the one out of the garden hose. it has a special taste to it.

I wish I could learn how to throw a punch over the internet.  Is there an update for that ?

There has been a steady decline - but if you owned a beach & someone took a wheelbarrow every year - would you notice ?  PepsiCo & Coca-Cola have very large beaches.

Pepsi needs to be more concerned about the ball-busting man-hating witch they now have @ the helm.  Paying 5B for some dairy in Russia ?!?  Now she is replacing key personnel with women who are also ball-busting man-hating witches who think they have to be twice as tough as any man in a dog-eat-dog world.

Those 2 companies could make Microsoft sized mistakes every year for a decade before the balance sheet would show a blip.

My family has been deeply involved in the beverage and specifically the PET industry for years - so this is coming from people who know - not some website... (not to say Huff Post is bad - just saying - 1st hand knowledge)

That's why I like my Sodastream so much.  Most are in the 6-10gm per serving range and those are for the non-"diet" versions!

I find it funny that there is so much bandwagon hate is against the soda industry when people load down their insane coffees with so much crap that make those drinks far far worse.  Personally I hate coffee so I will always get my caffeine from pop.

i have a Sodastream as well.  A lot of their stuff though has sugar and sucralose. When we first got the machine, we started buying the syrups left and right and then figured out the ones we liked.  Not too many.  Now that the fresh fruit season is coming back with strawberries, grapes and so forth from local sources instead of being imported from Chile' (Means fresher), we will be doing some recipes for syrups you can find online.  I have tried the straight tap water carbonated with the machine and NOPE, still tastes as bad as the club sodas you can get. :)  

I kind of think the Sodastream has had some impact on the Diet Soda sales, but also the whole bad talk about it lately influencing people.

What I will say is this though - Everything in moderation is key.  

I am one that I was drinking casually sodas and now I only drink water or juice with their natural sugar. But I rather drink water than juice. I hope coca cola and the other get bankrupt.

Juice has more sugar than most soft drinks, and natural sugar isn't any better for you. Sugar is sugar, even when it's called fruit sugar.

• Like 3

Coca-cola sell all manner of non-carbonated drinks here in Japan.

Stop buying the sugary rubbish and they might start selling their less unhealthy stuff where you live.

I had a fizzy banana drink from a vending machine in Japan once. Strangest drink I ever had, yet still very tasty. 

I was wondering if the artificial sweeteners are harmful for liver and kidneys in the long run. Say after 50 years of continuous intake?

I'd say almost anything would be bad after 50 years of continuous intake...  ;) 

But I guess in ~2044 we will be able to do some studies on it.

Never been a fan of diet soda. You either drink the real thing or you don't drink it at all :D

I drink about a gallon of water a day, sadly enough no tap water for me. Here in Honduras it's just not safe. 

But we buy 5 gallon bottles for $1.75 so it's not to bad. But yay for soda once in a while!

I think Sugar isn't the big problem in soft drinks (as you can achieve the same with some juice), it's rather the lack of vitamins or any other helpful ingredients.