Photo

The return of the Start menu in future Windows 8.1 update: Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#16 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:42

you doing it wrong,

after you press "WinKey" you can immediately press keyboard's keys for search, as added bonus: you can still view your other works as it wont be obscured by screen full of tiles.

I said I hated the Start menu (ala 7 and earlier) - I have zero issues with the StartScreen.  The searchability of said screen is something I pointed out way back in the Windows 8 Developer Preview.

The reason I despise the return of the Start MENU is at this point all it does is screw over third-party developers (not alone Stardock) - whether it is any more usable than said third-party utilities I could care less about, for reasons i explained.

#17 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:48

I'll review this addition when it gets added later this year and decide if Windows 8 offers enough to compel me to upgrade.

This is a welcome addition and looks like it should have from the outset. Since I can block the store I might be willing to jump to 8.1 after this, but we shall see...

#18 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:55

I think we're finally past that period at Microsoft where they're in panic mode over mobile and neglecting every other technology. Some people from Microsoft came to visit us at my company, where we develop a large-scale desktop application, and were quite adamant that there has been a change of mentalities at Microsoft and that they would not abandon their most used technologies anymore. Build 2014 shows a healthy mix of topics - it's not just Windows Store apps anymore - and I think we're in for some good surprises with http://channel9.msdn...uild/2014/2-535 and http://channel9.msdn...uild/2014/2-563(talks not available at the time of writing, should be there within 24-28 hours).

So it's much more than just a piece of UI coming back to Windows, the whole vision at Microsoft is changing, and for the better.

#19 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:06

Having the choice is good. Personally I could use either interface and won't constantly complain about having one over the other like many never seem to tire of doing.

#20 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:07

how long before they bring back Windows XP!

You're welcome.

#21 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:29

Microsoft are doing what they should have done right from the Windows 8.0 release onwards: They're giving users a choice of UX paradigm. It remains to be seen when this update comes out and what else it will bring (here's hoping for a visual overhaul with new desktop theme, new icons) - in either case, re-introducing the Start menu is not a regression, it's a blessing.

#22 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:32

Comments removed.

Please keep the thread on topic.

#23 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:44

IMO, Microsoft is merging the two environments so using both is easier.

It is fusion in progress, DBZ style.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:44

It feels a bit like going backwards into the future. it's unecessary.

if they needed to add a start menu they should have dropped the left classic start menu part and just had a wider pinnable tile area. 

#25 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:25

I'll buy it now.  I don't care what the fanboys think, I hate the start screen.

#26 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:42

An excellent addition, along with windowed Metro apps. 
Still not 100% sold on the live tiles thou, long as there is an option to turn that off, or cutomise it in such a way it doesnt take up so much real estate on my screen then im sold :)

With these features coming to 8.2 (i still refuse to call windows 8.1 update 1 that because it sounds stupid) it would be interesting to see how Windows 9 turns out.

#27 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:47

An excellent addition, along with windowed Metro apps. 
Still not 100% sold on the live tiles thou, long as there is an option to turn that off, or cutomise it in such a way it doesnt take up so much real estate on my screen then im sold :)

With these features coming to 8.2 (i still refuse to call windows 8.1 update 1 that because it sounds stupid) it would be interesting to see how Windows 9 turns out.

While I'm not a massive fan of the tiles there, the options to customize their size, while not taking up the entire screen I think is a very good compromise.  Especially for people who hate the start screen on mobile devices.

#28 +Heartripper

Heartripper

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:12

It is for sure a welcomed addition as long as the user can easily choose which one to use.

#29 Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:14

It is a good move, but unfortunately for Microsoft it is too late for WIndows 8. Windows 8 and forced tile+fullscreen interface will remain as one of the biggest tech failures ever, not only for Microsoft. Ignoring the extended Windows 8 beta tests feedback proved fatal. 

#30 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:16

It is a good move, but unfortunately for Microsoft it is too late for WIndows 8. Windows 8 and forced tile+fullscreen interface will remain as one of the biggest tech failures ever, not only for Microsoft. Ignoring the extended Windows 8 beta tests feedback proved fatal. 

This.  It's going to be a hard sell now without a name change.