This is the reversible USB cable that will end your frustrations

Thank god. USB orientation is the bane of my existence. Well that might be exaggerating a tad :p , but this is certainly welcome :D

Although I've rarely had any issues with plugging something into a USB port, I can understand people's frustrations. I became very frustrated once when an old USB cable wouldn't fit into the port despite my best efforts. It turns out the connector on the cable was bent.

Anyway, the lack of backwards compatibility sucks but it's necessary. After awhile, very few people are going to care about it.

1. Look at cable

2. Look at port.

3. Put it in the right way, first time.

How is that hard?

That doesn't work when the ports are hidden behind your computer and usually orientated vertically. It also doesn't help that often you think you're plugging it in wrong and turn it round only to find out it was right the first time. Basically, the port is poorly designed and anyone who has used the Apple Lightning connector knows that it is better designed. This design addresses these problems.

I don't understand how people can be so critical of something that improves the current design. Most people I know have had issues at various times plugging in USB devices. Sure it's just a case of reversing the plug but it's still an inconvenience. The new connection is also less bulky.

I have to laugh how it will "end frustrations" as anyone with half a brain never had any.  It isn't that hard to plug in a USB cable people!!!

I have to laugh how it will "end frustrations" as anyone with half a brain never had any.

It's not about intelligence, it's about convenience. Why have to worry about which way around it is when it can be designed so it doesn't matter?

It saddens me that so many people can take a positive thing and turn it into a negative. :no:

I have to laugh how it will "end frustrations" as anyone with half a brain never had any.  It isn't that hard to plug in a USB cable people!!!

This is such an arrogant and naive way of looking at how other people may interact with things. Maybe some people never had a problem. Big deal, others clearly do. If there wasn't a big enough issue, then they probably wouldn't have wasted their time and money coming up with the completely new and radical design change.

I've worked in IT for 9 years and I can promise you, the average user, even incredibly intelligent human beings (which they can be and still not be tech oriented people), have had issues with this.

Gotta love how people generalize everything, like everyone's situation is exactly the same. With seven billion people on the planet, the world doesn't revolve around your obvious perfection. :rolleyes: 

This is such an arrogant and naive way of looking at how other people may interact with things. Maybe some people never had a problem. Big deal, others clearly do. If there wasn't a big enough issue, then they probably wouldn't have wasted their time and money coming up with the completely new and radical design change.

Exactly. What about blind users? What about children? What about those inexperienced with computers? No longer will people have to look at the plug to determine which way up it should go, so even experienced users will benefit. Clearly it affects a lot of people, otherwise cartoons like the one posted earlier would be relatable.

• Like 2

Exactly. What about blind users? What about children? What about those inexperienced with computers? No longer will people have to look at the plug to determine which way up it should go, so even experienced users will benefit. Clearly it affects a lot of people, otherwise cartoons like the one posted earlier would be relatable.

Well, I don't have one of those classy underdesk lamps that most other people seem to have equipped, so I'd welcome an easier plug.

1. Look at cable

2. Look at port.

3. Put it in the right way, first time.

How is that hard?

Not hard, but the new design eliminates those three unnecessary steps. 

I know plugging in a USB cable isn't rocket science, but if you've come across a poorly made USB port, and there seems to be a lot of them out there, even when you look at the cable and the plug, it still takes several tries to get it to take. That's where my frustration stems from. Pathetic, I know.

• Like 1

I kind of preferred the bigger USB ports on computers because smaller connectors for example micro-HDMI, are a pain plugging into on my Surface. The ports are so small..

Also, the charger port on the Surface is very difficult plugging into, and teaching someone how to charge it..is well mind-blowing seeing them struggle 10 times more.

Honestly I would appreciate a USB port that was super magnetic, and yanked the cable out of your hand. Like some sort of NFC enabled connector.

For example, system detects NFC tag in USB connector, engages big magnet, connector pulled into port, magnet disengaged for the length of time NFC tag is detected. After cable is pulled out of port, big magnet will not engage until NFC tag is far away enough to not be detected, so pull it a few inches away and bring it back to close proximity, NFC tag detected again, big magnet engaged again, cable pulled into port, big magnet disengages.

The pourly made magnetic ports today are more difficult to use than a regular port. MagSafe is good for one port, if you have many it would be more difficult to use. And the Surface charging port won't even let you attach the cable unless you get the magnet to do it, so you have to fiddle until it really sticks in.

The micro usb port is horrible this is designed to replace it just like the lightning cable was designed to replace the outdated 30 pin. Believe me if you have to recharge your phone everday this makes big difference.