A Moon of Saturn Has a Sea, Scientists Say

Even if we sent something there to explore, it would need an insanely complicated means of drilling to get to that water.  Drilling 20-25 miles deep is something that's incredibly difficult to do even here on Earth.

Sending anyone over would be an instant suicide mission because of insanely high radiation levels in the Jovian system. The mission would have to be automated and/or partially remotely operated from Earth. There are plans to have a nuclear probe send over which can melt slowly through the ice and release research pods into the sea of Europa. Drilling won't be required.

I think the reason why there is so much funding for planetary exploration in our solar system, is because when the world has been damaged too badly to support life. All the rich people who provided money for the missions will leave and go to that planet or moon, which has the water and resources that can support life.

For there always seems to be billions for space exploration, but none for the poor in the world.

If you can make habitats to survive on Mars or whatever moon in the solar system you can also use the same technology to survive on an ecologically destroyed Earth. In any case and for whatever reason there comes a point where off-world colonisation becomes a necessity for our race to survive of course.

I thought we already knew this? Or was it all theories?

Originally, all the talk about seas (water) under the ice were targeted @ Europa in particular.

This is the same thing, just a different moon, but anytime a scientist posts something on arXive - it gets some news attention I guess.

What do you mean by "show me"? Is visual information and logical deduction not solid basis for proof? Do you need to personally go there and dive into the stuff and feel the water on your skin to believe?

Your sarcasm meter must be broken. Re-read Nik L.'s post, then ask yourself which group he is deriding.

I think the reason why there is so much funding for planetary exploration in our solar system, is because when the world has been damaged too badly to support life. All the rich people who provided money for the missions will leave and go to that planet or moon, which has the water and resources that can support life.

For there always seems to be billions for space exploration, but none for the poor in the world.

Space exploration pushes our limits of knowledge and technology. No space exploration and there wouldn't be powdered based drinks, dehydrated foods, microwave anything, or many other things that you take for granted on a daily basis.

What will the space programs possibly give you tomorrow?

I say no chance of life unless there is under water volcanos to provide energy.

this world's had it far worse than us. the arrogance in believing that we're going to singlehandedly end the world after 4billion years of life.

You are assuming an awful lot.  Think about other possibilities before you say "no chance of life".  You are assuming ALL life is like what we have hear on earth, and bound to the same rules.

Is there a possibility to send a spacecraft to dig the ice, swim into the sea and take pictures, and bring the sample of water back on Earth?

Is there a possibility to send a spacecraft to dig the ice, swim into the sea and take pictures, and bring the sample of water back on Earth?

The first 3 yes, prototype vehicles already exist to a large extent. The last may not be necessary- you can have imagery & lab results radioed back. There's even talk of capturing a lifeform or so and having its DNA seqienced on board and radioed back for replication (yes, its possible - sequencers are getting very small)

Well, as DocM stated earlier there is no 'digging' in the ice. 'All it takes' is a heatsource and any research craft could melt itself through the ice with gravity doing all the work for you! It would seem logical to me to get some form of control on any vessel as it would be rather lame if it melted itself through the ice, only to sink straight to the bottom. As for returning, that would technically be extremely difficult! But then again, you really only need data about the water/environment... not the actual water itself.

Edit, got beaten to it :P

The first 3 yes, prototype vehicles already exist to a large extent. The last may not be necessary- you can have imagery & lab results radioed back. There's even talk of capturing a lifeform or so and having its DNA seqienced on board and radioed back for replication (yes, its possible - sequencers are getting very small)

Yes well actually it would be great if the spacecraft would cruise along the sea and get hundreds of pictures to look for life under the sea as it is on Earth, because I think its the first time we have found water elsewhere in the Universe (except Earth's Moon). Plus is it possible for any spacecraft to record a video and send it back on Earth via radio signals?

Water has been found a LOT in our own Solar system and elsewhere to (surely, most is frozen... but still).

And yes, taking pictures/video and relaying it back to Earth via a mothership is possible :)

Yes well actually it would be great if the spacecraft would cruise along the sea and get hundreds of pictures to look for life under the sea as it is on Earth, because I think its the first time we have found water elsewhere in the Universe (except Earth's Moon). Plus is it possible for any spacecraft to record a video and send it back on Earth via radio signals?

It's unlikely to be life "as it is on Earth".  Life here has developed to match our environment. Different environment =  different development. It's called evolution.

As for video signals, seeing as we already do that with the various Mars rovers, as well as probes like Voyager, what do you think?

It's unlikely to be life "as it is on Earth".  Life here has developed to match our environment. Different environment =  different development. It's called evolution.

As for video signals, seeing as we already do that with the various Mars rovers, as well as probes like Voyager, what do you think?

There is no word like 'unlikely' in the dictionary of scientists especially related to cosmology. What may be is unlikely, however, is evolution.

There is no word like 'unlikely' in the dictionary of scientists especially related to cosmology. What may be is unlikely, however, is evolution.

Evolution is a fact. It has been observed in the lab countless times. Deal with it.

Evolution is a fact. It has been observed in the lab countless times. Deal with it.

There's is a different thread to discuss about the myth of evolution. You really need to know that observations are not facts.

There's is a different thread to discuss about the myth of evolution. You really need to know that observations are not facts.

I was merely correcting your serious misconception.

• Like 2

Sea, I knew something was special about those moons! *snickers....*

You really need to know that observations are not facts.

Observations are not facts? Really? Show me one observable thing that is not a fact.

This might be a stupid question, but how much more of a chance is there for life in water vs ice?

I am not no scientist but I would have thought the presence of ice to be a pretty good indictaor for life.

The presence of ice is an indicator of water and cold. The presence of water however is a great step forward for the possibility of life (as we know it) being there too.

If they need funding to explore, just say there's oil there as well.  :D

But seriously, could an eco system really evolve and survive on a planetary body just 300 miles wide? Water is just one of the many things needed for life, would there be enough of the others?

p7VtAAZ.jpg

Microscopic life like bacteria would have plenty of room. It's less likely that macroscopic life would be abundant though.