ocz psu blown capacitor exploded lots of white toxic smoke just not my week

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:31

If she was using the Windows 7 calculator, I would like to know what kind of calculation she was doing to make the PSU explode.

Was probably the windows 8 RT calculator instead. That fullscreen calculator can stress a PC and push it over its limit.

#17 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:48

yeah, i expected that. Gonna call Asus support tomorrow morning to see if the warranty covers this.

Tell ASUS that the mobo just died. No need to tell them your PSU explosion story. Otherwise they may not be as co operative.

#18 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:40

I came here looking for a picture of an exploded PSU.

/disappointed

#19 Decebalvs Rex

Decebalvs Rex

Transylvanian

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:57

I had a (cheap) PC case wich killed my PSU. The GPU (9600 GT) was acting as a stove , the CPU and AMD Phenom X3 OC providing again more heat and the case had no airflow.

After watching a movie I decided I should game a bit, had some fun for a few minutes and BAM! (spark sound here Tsk.Tsk.Tsk.) Dead. The whole case interior was black but I managed to save the rest of the components. Since that day I always buy Seasonic PSUs , I am very very pleased with what they offer!

I think your mobo died because your PSU had no voltage protection, pay attention to PSU features next time.

Edited by Decebalvs Rex, 04 April 2014 - 09:01.

#20 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:12

I guessed OCZ from the title.

If fans keep moving without display, Try removing RAM chips. Clean their ends and swap them while inserting back. This is the very basic thing which works for me and others everytime. If not then you have a bad motherboard or graphics card.

And how exactly did you guess that? Do you even know which rebrand that PSU is to guess it? This has happened to the best of the best PSU's out there. Pff...

Anyway, back to the topic, one thing is to call Asus, that won't help since they will probably tell you the fault isn't their board but another component doing harm to their mobo so your best bet is to give a call to OCZ or send them an email and tell them what has happened and see where it goes from there.

Not telling Asus about the PSU won't help what so ever, you probably need to send the board to them and well, they are not stupid you know. Mostly it's easy to tell if an external compononent has done damage to the PCB (or the components on it), while you might not notice it people who work day in and day out with it might find it within minutes. Been there, done that.

#21 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:25

You got bang for your buck. Sorry to hear it.

#22 OP Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:27

Some news!

Tell ASUS that the mobo just died. No need to tell them your PSU explosion story. Otherwise they may not be as co operative.

well i could but unfortunately the warranty for either the mainboard (Asus) and PSU (OCZ) has expired in December.. not only that but OCZ is in a real mess; the storage part is now owned by Toshiba and the PSU part is now owned by pcpower, so if it was under warranty i could talk with them to see if they would honor it, but since it is out of warranty...

You got bang for your buck. Sorry to hear it.

:/

If you're mainboard, cpu, ram , etc was hosed due to that PSU, I'd fire off an email to OCZ and see what happens. Never know, you might get new components.

it's out of warranty :/

Pics of the explosion pls.

I came here looking for a picture of an exploded PSU.

/disappointed

so here are they; in the first pic you can see clearly the power filter capacitor has swollen to the rupture point and in the second one you can see it all "wet" (in fact it's the electrolytic that was spreed from the capacitor; most of it vaporized into white smoke...) and damaged; sorry for those that wanted to see a PSU like it came from a Michael Bay movie. :laugh:

Anyways, i went into buying a MSI board; apart from the blown up PSU and dead mainboard, everything is working as should (i've tested every component). So right now i'm using a Corsair CX600 and a new 970A-G46 MSI board (i wanted a newer Asus, but it wasn't available, only a Gigabyte (that is incompatible with the rest of the hardware i have) and some ASRock's boards (since i owned 2 ASRock mainboards and both of them died from capacitor leakage after 4 years of use i wont buy anything from that brand so soon).

right now i'm happy with the new board; thanks for some of the funny posts and some insightful :rolleyes: comments.

btw: sorry for the quality of the pics.

Attached Images

• IMG_20140403_125522.jpg
  • IMG_20140403_125509.jpg

Edited by Praetor, 06 April 2014 - 03:29.

#23 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:50

lol no because everybody knows that if someone divides by zero then the world would explode, not just my PSU :laugh:

so true...so true.

I started to do it once when I was feeling really low - got to the point where I was about to hit "enter" - I noticed a strange vortex appearing in my ceiling - I knew something was wrong because if there is a "hereafter" the vortex would be on my floor.  I got scared, and deleted everything.

#24 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:52

Take it out back and record yourself shooting holes in it with various guns, crack off a few jokes, then put the video on YouTube.  You'll get rich in no time, :p

#25 OP Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 April 2014 - 00:41

Take it out back and record yourself shooting holes in it with various guns, crack off a few jokes, then put the video on YouTube.  You'll get rich in no time, :p

:laugh: