Multiple users on XP

Alright...stupid question but since I've never used the multi-user option in XP, here goes...

if i log out with programs running (mIRC, icq...and other stuff like that), and downloading/uploading something...will my logging out (and logging in on a different account) affect the download/upload?

*under what account should i install the program in so all users are able to use the program?*

please reply

i don't have a multi accounts computer but it would seem that you shoudn't log off, but just switch users instead and your working programs and downloads should continue. and yes if you want to share a program put a short cut in all users. some programs the other user should install her/his self

If you log off, all your programs and stuff that was running will be closed, as with previous Windows versions. So your downloads would stop along with everything else.

If you use the "Switch User" option instead, your programs will all stay running, including (theoretically) your downloads. However in my experience, although programs do remain open and running, downloads are usually reset when you switch users. This may not happen if you use third-party software (such as upload program / download manager) to control your downloads, as I believe it's just an MS bug.

none of that ever happened with me.. when i switch users so my peeps could check her mail it never crashes or closes anything i was doing... including downloads cuz i was downloading lots of stuff yesterday off IRC and she stayed on there checking and browsing and instant messaging people and when she was done she logged off and i switch back to my account and it was exactly how i left it.. including the window positions and all that.... so just create the accounts.

Limited accounts should be enough for anyone else.. they just wont be able to install any programs or change control panel settings which is a good thing because the display resolution HAS to be the same on both accounts so that would constantly be ****ing me off to see 800 X 600 reso! I hate that junk.. it's so big!

Shotta, so you were able to log OFF, and THEN switch users while your downloads were still running?

Switching users shouldn't really affect the download/uploads, say on something like ICQ/mIRC, should it?

#1 YOU DON'T LOG OFF.. just click the "log off" button and choose switch users! :) you can press the WinKEY** + L to do a quick switch!

no it wont affect it..... that's what i said.. i left my system to download (like 30GB yesterday) and they switched to check email and all that several times by the end of the day it was still downloading almost done.... so IRC and all that.. it wont stop anything at all.. your account is still running just have a different interface that's all..and loaded different settings into memory as well as yours..

That's why they say the minimum for XP should be 256MB cuz having 2 different interfaces running takes up ram. LOTS!

** = Windows Flag Key between "Ctrl" and "Alt"