UPS fires 250 employees for staging a 90-minute protest

Umm, is it really smart to tell an employee hey you're fired but keep working until your replacement is trained???

If I got that type of notice I wouldn't show up for work anymore....

I'd be worried about a lot of damaged or missing packages after the employees get notices like that.

According to the agreement with the Union, workers strikes like this were not a permissible action for resolving grievances, which is why they were fired. The door swings both ways.

Thanks for the additional clarification.

So they can make more profit while overcharging US.

I have no pity for UPS. They have been on my black list for a while now.

Agreed.

According to the agreement with the Union, workers strikes like this were not a permissible action for resolving grievances, which is why they were fired. The door swings both ways.

Right yet also wrong, "wildcat" strikes are not a permissable action and most union contracts will stipulate that all employees who engage in that form of strike will be fired, however, most unions who engage in a wildcat strike have a valid reason and most of the time get their jobs back eventually.

Right yet also wrong, "wildcat" strikes are not a permissable action and most union contracts will stipulate that all employees who engage in that form of strike will be fired, however, most unions who engage in a wildcat strike have a valid reason and most of the time get their jobs back eventually.

And everyone wonders why unions are less and less popular nowadays??

Unions have for the most part lost their relevance. They were needed when local, state and federal laws were lagging in worker protections. However, nowadays there is the NLRB, OSHA and many other organizations that ensure laws are followed. The unions are no longer needed and that is why their numbers are plummeting.

And everyone wonders why unions are less and less popular nowadays??

Unions have for the most part lost their relevance. They were needed when local, state and federal laws were lagging in worker protections. However, nowadays there is the NLRB, OSHA and many other organizations that ensure laws are followed. The unions are no longer needed and that is why their numbers are plummeting.

Not really, sure there are state laws, osha, comp etc etc that protect workers however they can't protect workers from everything.

Wildcat strikes usually occur when a business entity commits a blatant breach of contract without warning and with unjust predjudice toward the union or a number of its members, in this case the union does a quick vote to strike and workers walk off the job.

• Like 1

Also another thing that is not mention here, is the fact that technically the Union will do the talking with the board and if all negotiation fails they advise the business that the employees could go on strike and then on the date concluded or advise they do go on strike if everything prior failed. In this case i think the employees just decided out of no where they where doing this ( no prior consultation done or anything just pure decision on the spot ).

And that is a breach of contract right there made by the employees. Union in this case don't have a say in it because of them. Too bad so sad, now they know that next time they will have to get information from the union before doing something like this they could have been advise to act differently and legally.

I'm with UPS here.. the Employees were not in a position to strike, so they performed an illegal strike under the Union's agreement with UPS. They are well within their rights to fire them all on the spot.

You can't just decide not to do your job for 90 min without giving prior notice and expect to still have your job.

Second, why do UPS and other groups like that get a discount on their parking tickets ? Well for one they collect SO many. Most delivery services inside cities get these kinds of breaks, because they CAN'T do their job without getting the tickets, and they get them in such numbers that not giving them a discount would either force the businesses out, or make for large rates spikes. It's not just UPS, Fedex, USPS, but also groups like Coca Cola and Pepsi delivery trucks, etc. 

Normally when Cities pull that card, what happens is the delivery co's start by just not delivering to the City Gov't. Sorry, couldn't find a parking spot. Come pick up your package/pallet/etc at this address within X days.. Which is something the CITY can't afford to do, and it just blows up in their face.

End of the day, the Employees didn't think about what they were doing, and now they are gonna deal with it. The City made a threat, and UPS called them on it. City should mind it's own business and not make threats over employees being LEGALLY dismissed. This isn't some shady grey area, it's black and white. It's why the Union isn't going to war, cause they know it too.

• Like 2

I think they call it freedom. The employees are free to protest, and the company is free to fire them :laugh:

Sums it up. Absent formal strike procedures being followed only off-duty personnel should have protested.

UPS has reversed its firing of 250 workers for taking part in a 90-minute strike in February, the company told Business Insider on Wednesday.

The reversal comes after a public uproar over the mass firing, which we reported last week.

UPS officials decided to rehire the workers as part of an agreement reached Wednesday in a meeting with union officials.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/250-workers-ups-fired-last-033600667.html

UPS has reversed its firing of 250 workers for taking part in a 90-minute strike in February, the company told Business Insider on Wednesday.

The reversal comes after a public uproar over the mass firing, which we reported last week.

UPS officials decided to rehire the workers as part of an agreement reached Wednesday in a meeting with union officials.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/250-workers-ups-fired-last-033600667.html

Who called the company caving like a bitch to the public...? Well now I believe it was me no more than a page back! *smug*

Also another thing that is not mention here, is the fact that technically the Union will do the talking with the board and if all negotiation fails they advise the business that the employees could go on strike and then on the date concluded or advise they do go on strike if everything prior failed. In this case i think the employees just decided out of no where they where doing this ( no prior consultation done or anything just pure decision on the spot ).

And that is a breach of contract right there made by the employees. Union in this case don't have a say in it because of them. Too bad so sad, now they know that next time they will have to get information from the union before doing something like this they could have been advise to act differently and legally.

Many times if a new contract is not agreed upon by both parties they will both try to agree on an extension, sometimes more than one depending on different situations, then afterwards the union will surely strike because the contract no longer applies and they really have no other alternative but then it all comes down to who will give and who will take, things such as benefits, wages etc.

I'd be worried about a lot of damaged or missing packages after the employees get notices like that.

.....and then the fired drivers might be worried about 'bubba' at night when the lights go out in the jail cell. :woot:

Texas is a "right to work" state.  Which means we can get fired for any reason... or no reason. - just sayin

Sounds more like a 'Right to Fire' state. :laugh: