Skydiver nearly gets hit by a meteorite

Not claiming its impossible for rocks to come tumbling down at terminal velocity. But it is far from the norm.

This planet accumulates something north of 150000 kilograms of space debris per day. A space rock tumbling past a skydiver is a rare event by the numbers.

http://www.universetoday.com/110963/norwegian-skydiver-almost-gets-hit-by-falling-meteor-and-captures-it-on-film/

meteorittfall_2columns_gallery.jpg

>

Norwegian astrophysicist P?l Brekke confirmed to Universe Today that the story is true. ?I was part of the investigation ? and kept secret for two years ? in hope of finding the meteorite,? Brekke said via Twitter.

Since the search for the meteorite has come up empty so far, Helstrup?s story and video has been released in an effort to recruit more people to look for the rock.

?It has been a little hard to keep it as a secret,? Helstrup told Universe Today via email, ?but everyone has been loyal to the project and helped us out!?

>

It's amazing how many people there are here who are certain that it isn't a meteorite; people who have zero expertise when it comes to meteorites. Some of the theories posited as an alternative are astonishing.

As the saying goes, 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'.

They aren't that uncommon, just not usually witnessed or found. A stony-iron fell in our field when I was a teenager, whizzed right over us while we were having a picnic in the yard. 2.35kg worth. Still have it.

They aren't that uncommon, just not usually witnessed or found. A stony-iron fell in our field when I was a teenager, whizzed right over us while we were having a picnic in the yard. 2.35kg worth. Still have it.

2 kg's of meteorite can get you a lot of money.