Photo

The Great Intel/AMD & AMD/NVIDIA Poll of 2014!

intel amd nvidia 2014

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Which way do you lean?

Processor

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Graphics Cards

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 April 2014 - 20:31

(Finally) Refreshed for 2014, please make your selections above, and remember this is a vote only thread, so no posting.

Last year's polls for comparison Here.

#2 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:00

Ok guys, here's the lowdown. I have always owned AMD system in the past and came to realize that, Nvidia is really pretty good.

seems like mobile graphic cards are really coming into teir own. The 770M is really a worthy card. the 870M is probably better but, probably not by alot.

#3 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:32

Ok guys, here's the lowdown. I have always owned AMD system in the past and came to realize that, Nvidia is really pretty good.

seems like mobile graphic cards are really coming into teir own. The 770M is really a worthy card. the 870M is probably better but, probably not by alot.

I went from Intel to AMD for several years and then got a Core i5 last year. HUGE difference in performance over my old 5400BE. I've always owned AMD since my Voodoo days, though. Never had any issues, so stay with them. Running a 7870 now and it runs well with the i5. I almost tried an NVidia card this year, then ran into a good deal on the 7870.

#4 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:34

well one thing IS for certain: competition only helps the customer. keeps prices low and keeps products honest

#5 TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:14

To me, there's no mistery. Intel and nVidia are the best combo. You pay extra compared to AMD, but you really can feel the difference. It's not just the brand that you're paying (well, at least not all of it).

#6 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:24

Intel and Nvidia.

GTX Titans!

#7 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:39

To me, there's no mistery. Intel and nVidia are the best combo. You pay extra compared to AMD, but you really can feel the difference. It's not just the brand that you're paying (well, at least not all of it).

Not always.  There are AMD cards that outperform NVidia for less, just like the other way around.  Really depends on the performance level you are looking at.

#8 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:45

as a former AMD/ATI owner, I can agree. I DO notice a huge difference. however, I did purchase a Qosmio laptop which are the top tier brand of Toshiba. This X70/75 was had for about $1,400 solid. it is holding at the price for a while. But Nvidia is really good. I'm not knocking AMD/ATI by any means as I always was loyal but, this purchase, all that was available were Intel i7core with Nvidia discrete cards. I'm going to see how long I can keep it by upgrading the Nvidia card. It could go for awhile.

Question: I've seen on a forum else where that, speeds of cores are fairly irrelevant because of the multiple cores now. any truth to this?

#9 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 32
    Server 2012 R2
    BSD Unix
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:01

I have a healthy mix of setups here across ~20 systems, I'd say aprox 2/3's of them are AMD setups that are very performant so voted that, a number of Intel CPU's here as well though and no complaints, wouldn't say I'd pick one or the other exclusively.  For GPU's though it's almost entirely AMD across the board.  

#10 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 20 December 2014 - 23:12

To me the biggest bang for you buck is still Intel/nVidia 

I see no reason to change for the foreseeable future 

#11 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 20 December 2014 - 23:25

CPU: Intel

GPU: ... Well, that can be more complicated - I tend to go back and forth between AMD and Nvidia. Right now AMD, but if they don't fix the 290X black screen issues caused by drivers beyond 14.9 soon, I'll grab a 980 from my work PC. But I'm hoping the upcoming 390X blows my socks off to keep me on the red side a little longer. :)

#12 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 20 December 2014 - 23:27

Nvidia across five machines here. Mostly for HDMI audio, stability & driver support.

• GTX 770 (Mine)
  • GTX 650 (Mrs)
  • GTX 570
  • GT 620 (SteamBox)
  • GT 520 (Server + HTPC)

#13 Jaybonaut

Jaybonaut

Neowinian

Posted 20 December 2014 - 23:46

I do video work so I tend to lean towards Intel.

Nvidia/AMD I tend to lean towards Nvidia, but AMD makes some pretty good cards.  This might seem silly but I like the digital vibrance slider for each monitor.

#14 CG-88

CG-88

||Modified||

• Phone: Lumia 1320

Posted 22 December 2014 - 00:49

Cpu: Amd fx8350
GFX: sli gainward 770 gtx 4gb

I have always had nvidia cards and up until this build always had Intel cpu's but decided to try something different and I'm not disappointed :)