colorado balcony fall coroner marijuana thc level

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,521 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:39

An African student's death in a fall from a Denver hotel balcony is the first death in Colorado to be blamed on marijuana since the state legalized recreational use.

Levy Thamba, 19, died March 11 at a Holiday Inn. Friends said he jumped from the fourth-floor balcony after eating several marijuana cookies, a coroner's report released Wednesday said.

Thamba and his friends traveled to Denver from Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., to take advantage of Colorado's new marijuana law, Michelle Weiss-Samaras said. At least one person in the group appears to have been over 21, old enough to buy the marijuana cookies legally.

The report blamed the death on "multiple injuries due to a fall from height" with "marijuana intoxication" as a contributing factor. The coroner said Thamba died accidentally.

The coroner's report said Thamba's friends described him as becoming erratic and hostile after eating the cookies. They got him into bed, but some time later he got up and went to the balcony.

The level of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, was above that considered proof of impaired driving in Colorado.

more

#2 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 650 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:53

Headline should read 'Intoxicated teen falls off balcony'

But that's not clickbaity enough.

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:55

While I am not an advocate of "Marijuana has absolutely no negatives", a preach that stoners throw about with careless delusion - "erratic and hostile" are not traits I would associate with it.

#4 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,973 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:58

Long fall kills teen, or if you want to be pedantic "Sudden stop kills teenager".

#5 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,340 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:22

Intoxicants is intoxicants, doesn't matter if you drink, smoke or inject them they all alter perception and behavior in ways that can get you hurt or dead.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:27

There were deaths because of it before it was legalized. Just news now because its legal and there is a lot of controversy behind it.  If it wasnt legal, just another day.

#7 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,114 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:52

While I am not an advocate of "Marijuana has absolutely no negatives", a preach that stoners throw about with careless delusion - "erratic and hostile" are not traits I would associate with it.

Most of the time it's ignorant teenage smokers who tend to make such statements. With any drug, the effects will very among everyone differently. 

#8 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• 8,427 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:15

I blame his balance, not marijuana. Anythign to slag it off these days i swear, if he was drunk would they kick off as much? Nope.

Dick heads.

#9 G_0

G_0

Neowinian

• 322 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 13:07

Most of the time it's ignorant teenage smokers who tend to make such statements. With any drug, the effects will very among everyone differently. 

Another problem is that for years people have been told how awful the drug is and how badly it will mess you up. When trying it for the first time or even using at a young age there's a certain expectation that you're going to get really messed up. When in all reality you're not going to experience the evilness that has been pushed onto marijuana through anti-drug scare tactics. 

This kid probably wasn't even that high. They were just playing out the expectation of what it is to be high from what they had heard, been told, or read. I've seen people "OD" on weed cookies before, They fall asleep. They don't jump off balconies. These people didn't have the false expectations that younger, uneducated people do. They knew what to expect and enjoyed what they got out of it. Even a good rest can be a positive outcome. 

#10 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

• 262 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 14:00

You can die from drinking too much water too fast too. What difference should it matter what the intoxication was? He died from physics not from pot cookies. Too much of anything isn't good for you...even too many women can be bad for your health if they find out about the others. lol.

#11 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,180 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 14:08

I would have thought that too much pot would have made him too paranoid about jumping, somethings not right here...

#12 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,151 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 05 April 2014 - 14:09

Sounds like he didn't have enough marijuana in his system actually...

#13 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,521 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:07

This is your brain on drugs ...

th?id=HN.608015774050746374&pid=15.1&H=1

#14 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 4,860 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:10

maybe the cookies were laced with crack

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,135 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:15

maybe the cookies were laced with crack

Or something else.  And I wouldnt doubt it.  Heard stories about people buying marijuana and it had been dusted with something else.