An African student's death in a fall from a Denver hotel balcony is the first death in Colorado to be blamed on marijuana since the state legalized recreational use.
Levy Thamba, 19, died March 11 at a Holiday Inn. Friends said he jumped from the fourth-floor balcony after eating several marijuana cookies, a coroner's report released Wednesday said.
Thamba and his friends traveled to Denver from Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., to take advantage of Colorado's new marijuana law, Michelle Weiss-Samaras said. At least one person in the group appears to have been over 21, old enough to buy the marijuana cookies legally.
The report blamed the death on "multiple injuries due to a fall from height" with "marijuana intoxication" as a contributing factor. The coroner said Thamba died accidentally.
The coroner's report said Thamba's friends described him as becoming erratic and hostile after eating the cookies. They got him into bed, but some time later he got up and went to the balcony.
The level of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, was above that considered proof of impaired driving in Colorado.