A simple, generous act of kindness can be so life changing ? especially when it means the difference between kids going hungry or having full bellies. A poignant blog post written by a mother of five made a beautifully honest illustration of that recently.

?To the Woman Behind Me in Line at the Grocery Store," posted on March 19, was republished by the Huffington Post on Thursday. In it, the woman, who identifies herself only as Andrea, thanks an unknown fellow shopper for paying for her groceries, which totaled just $17.38, after being faced with an out-of-service EBT machine and an empty wallet. Her tale has captured public empathy, with many readers commenting with supportive sentiments and even job offers.

"I am overwhelmed. I am humbled. I am awed," she tells Yahoo Shine about the positive response. "I am also amazed. I am honored that people trust me with their stories. I am pleased that the vast majority are taking this as it is intended: to be blessed and to bless."

?What you did was you paid that $17.38 grocery bill for us. You gave my kids bananas, yogurt, apple juice, cheese sticks, and a peach ice tea for me; a rare treat and splurge. You let me hug you and promise through my tears that I WILL pay this forward. I WILL pay someone?s grocery bill for them. That $17.38 may not have been a lot for you, but it was priceless to us.? :happy:

more

The most heartwarming part of this to me is that she was actually buying healthy food for her kids. I worked at a grocery store for a few years when I was younger and saw far too little of this. If I were behind her in the queue, I'd have paid that bill too. :)