The end of Windows XP support: Any thoughts or rememberences?

I remember the Luna Element themes being the first time I ever ran a "patched" XP install.

Neowin was a hot site back then; i do remember the endless amounts of themes and great artists Neowin had back then..

Radish, you still with us?

I remember the Luna Element themes being the first time I ever ran a "patched" XP install.

Luna Element was the only XP theme I ever ran. Tornado5/em3 was a god among themers.

• Like 2

)copied from my post)

I remember finding this site when I first Heard about Windows XP back in early 2001. I was a junior in HS at the time.

Then, in fall 2001 when I was a senior in HS, Windows XP RTMed and then released to the public. There was this hype about Windows XP and how Microsoft has made such excitement about it back then. I remember asking a student who attended a college (he was in my class but he took calculus at that university) if he can get me Windows XP and he did, lol. Needless to say, when I attempted an upgrade, I was disappointed to see that the old computer didn't meet the requirements.

I remember the news about the Sasser and Blaster worms that had MS suspending the development of Longhorn and focusing on XP SP2 (which should have been like "XP Second Edition" because of the major changes).

I decided to wait a while until I finally got my brand-new computer (Dell Dim 8400) in July 2004 that has Windows XP Home (I did an edition upgrade to XP Pro in April 2005).

Sure, XP was more stable than Windows 9x, but it had its own problems. I remember noticing at how slow XP was at bootup and how, when I used XP over time, it suffered from "installation decay."

Then, I left Windows XP when I got Windows Vista Beta 2 build 5384 in July 2006, then RC1 in September 2006, then got Vista RTM in January 2007. I never went back to XP again (only when doing updates, that's it).

Got XP for Christmas in 2001.... was so excited, but there was some sort of bug with the workstation service that crippled the desktop for a good 5 minutes when it first started up. It was fixed in Service Pack 1 and I had to use a download manager on 32K to download the update... took about 2 days downloading in the night since family members needed to use the phone during the day. Those were the days.

I remember joining up to be a beta tester and still have my copy of RC 1 cd. :p

I downloaded RC 2.

I know I had many troubles burning CDs with full XP, that I did not have with RC 2.

I had more hardware problems than any virus problems, over the years.

I remember how scary it was, the first time I updated a motherboard and hard drive.

Would XP product Activate ... ?

I remember going into Staples early in the morning, October 25, 2001, expecting to 'line up', to buy Windows XP.

And I seemed to be the first one !  No one else seemed to be there to buy XP.

I spent over $200 for Windows XP Pro and the XP Plus! cd.

My Windows XP computer is alive and well, with all updates, ready for the future. :happy:

post-37120-0-51004900-1396923352.jpg

Got XP for Christmas in 2001.... was so excited, but there was some sort of bug with the workstation service that crippled the desktop for a good 5 minutes when it first started up. It was fixed in Service Pack 1 and I had to use a download manager on 32K to download the update... took about 2 days downloading in the night since family members needed to use the phone during the day. Those were the days.

Ya I was living at home at the time of Sp1 when it came out. I used Getrite because we were on dialup on the farm and would get auto disconnected every 3 hours.

I remember when support ended officially and I could tell people that they're on their own.

XP, my first experience in installing Windows by myself and also using inf and modified ini files in device manager to get some hardware to work. :laugh: I always changed the desktop to the silver and green theme, the Media Center's Royal theme captivated me. Lots of experimenting in those days, learning to slipstream service packs, using autopatcher after a fresh install. And then when my friends introduced me around 2004 to the revived Netscape browser that was called Mozilla Firefox. You served well XP, ,may you join 95 & 98 in the digital beyond.

I remember using nLite to make my own customized copy of XP. It was amazing how much I could slim down an XP installation. I really enjoyed that program.

The variety of visual styles on deviantart was great. I didn't care for the default Luna. -kol's OSX themes were pretty infamous.

I also remember how SP2 "broke" P2P programs. You had to download a patch for EventID 4226.

I bought XP Home OEM from a local vendor back when it was pre SP1. When I tried to install on my AthlonXP 2700 Barton core the first time, it bluescreened on me. So not knowing what that meant at the time, I called the place where I bought it, because they build computers for a majority of the local businesses in my town. They had no idea what to do, lol! They couldn't help me at all because it was so new. I finally figured out it was a bad hard drive, which I replaced immediately, and it worked for years on that same system perfectly, through SP1, SP1a, SP2, AND SP3. Once I started beta testing Vista, well, that machine never saw XP again. I've never looked back since, when it comes to adapting and accepting change with both hardware and software. Those were good times, I used win95 at my job at the time, and we were hit by a virus, this one in particular: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/snowwhite.asp, and ended up trashing my Win 98 at my house, had to transfer floppies from work to home to finish up my day....great learning experiences those were. I'm glad I know what I know now, needless to say, but I loved XP back in those days! Once I adapted, anyway! ;)

Windows XP started its life as a major security threat, and now tomorrow, will end its life as a major security threat. Full circle.

i percieves that as Microsoft ineptitude-ness concerning security, considering:

XP recieves its security patches for almost every month for 12 years, and after applying all those patches the XP are still 'unsecures'.

If Microsoft can't make a CD-ROM sized OS installation to became secure, certainly you can't expect Microsoft can do it for DVD/Bluray sized OS install.

• Like 2

i percieves that as Microsoft ineptitude-ness concerning security, considering:

XP recieves its security patches for almost every month for 12 years, and after applying all those patches the XP are still 'unsecures'.

If Microsoft can't make a CD-ROM sized OS installation to became secure, certainly you can't expect Microsoft can do it for DVD/Bluray sized OS install.

why, if one builds an OS 13 years ago sure it stays secure even today and for the future, right? :rolleyes:

threads exist every day; considering 13 years of solving security annoyances, bugs and unexpected crap in a elderly OS is a feat; very few to none OS are supported for so long.

I remember upgrading our old family PC at the time shortly after XP first came out (and $300 for the full Home Edition), and installing it and listening to the startup chimes.  Good times.

Having upgraded from Windows ME before that, XP was a significant upgrade.  Installed it on an AMD Duron 800mhz, 320mb RAM, and 40gb hard drive.  Decent specs for the time.

It was great not having a system that blue screened all the time.

I remember going to work this morning and looking at the XP box but not really wanting to touch it.

FCKGW!!! LOL Classic.

I remember when Microsoft would send out free copies of SP2 on CD - I ordered about 50 of these to give to clients I had at the time. 

I also came from Windows 2000 Pro.

I didn't use XP that much until SP2 came out. I stuck with Windows 2000 for the most part, and I don't regret it. I was never the biggest fan of XP and I'm certainly not sad to see it die.

I still have my first copy of XP; it's a boxed copy of Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade sitting on the bookshelf. Picked up at retail on the day of GA, October 25, 2001

There we go, found an old desktop from 2003 including Neowin :D

desktopShare_sml.jpg

I still walk into the horrid that is 500 XP systems each morning, sadly it isn't my call to get them upgraded :(

XP wasn't all that new to me as I had been running Windows 2000 for two years prior to XP RTM. I had access to MSDN via the company I worked for at the time, through which I had access to the XP betas and RCs. I used those as dual-boot option, but didn't switch to XP as primary OS before it had reached RTM status.

I still remember seeing the first screenshots of the Luna VS on Neowin and thinking 'What have they been smoking? They had a perfectly good skin with Whistler. Why replace it with a Fisher Price UI?'

I remember the first visual styles for XP coming out. Binary's version of Watercolor being the first one I used, followed by several others. Remember the great VS scene here at Neowin? There were some great artists producing quality visual styles back in the day.

XP brought the NT kernel to the masses. Teething problems aside this was a good thing. If you think XP SP0/SP1 were unstable, think back to the consumer versions of Windows prior to XP. Enough said.