Photo

Phil hints at freeing apps from Pay Wall.

xbox live xbox 360 xbox one phil spencer

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#106 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:34

I will be eventually buying it when Halo 5 shows up provided they have upped the built in HDD capacity by then. I find the pay wall a stupid restriction but it's not deal breaker for me. I kind of understand their viewpoint that it pays for ongoing improvements to the console and apps, which they do a lot compared to Sony or Nintendo.

MS would have a hard time convincing people around here that there is value in the work they do behind the scenes for apps or the OS. Its hard enough just saying that MS actually works on some of the apps that are being offered.

On the one hand, I have seen enough hints about people from MS working on some apps that MS is indeed investing in apps for the X1 not just by securing apps, but building them or working with others to build them. I can certainly see value there, but that value is not nearly visible enough, so it can't serve as a point for or against the topic of a paywall for apps. So basically its nice to know they are working on it, but they still must push apps to a general app store, whether they are working on them or not.

#107 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 April 2014 - 13:53

MS would have a hard time convincing people around here that there is value in the work they do behind the scenes for apps or the OS. Its hard enough just saying that MS actually works on some of the apps that are being offered.

On the one hand, I have seen enough hints about people from MS working on some apps that MS is indeed investing in apps for the X1 not just by securing apps, but building them or working with others to build them. I can certainly see value there, but that value is not nearly visible enough, so it can't serve as a point for or against the topic of a paywall for apps. So basically its nice to know they are working on it, but they still must push apps to a general app store, whether they are working on them or not.

It is just my own impression of them, not saying others will agree with it.