NASA photo captures strange bright light coming out of Mars

NASA supplied another fluff answer.

No wonder their nickname is Never A Straight Answer. ;)

Seeing as the only answer you'll accept is "aliens", what's the point in even bothering?

• Like 2

The Moon has even less atmosphere than Mars -- or so we are told.

lol really?

NASA supplied another fluff answer.

No wonder their nickname is Never A Straight Answer. ;)

lol they provided an answer, doesn't mean you can understand it.

I asked some serious questions, which you, much like NASA, fail to explain.

Cosmic rays are not focused in a narrow beam, so there is no reason for there to be a small beam of light.

I have never seen cosmic rays, nor captured any with a camera.

And speaking of Apollo, odd how none of the alleged Moon photos don't show these phantom flares of cosmic rays.

The moon photos where shot with film. 

cosmic rays don't need to be concentrated, just like sunlight when it his a bright rock, and get redirected to a camera lens and sensor will be bright, cosmic rays will do the same, and while your eye won't see it, they can burn and damage your rod thingies. which is the same thing cosmic rays do onthe CCD's they're nto technicallyvisible, but when they get focus enough, they will overharge the sensor in the area they hit. and due to the network inside the sensor, it can fade up and down like thos, or sideways, or in a circle, depending on how the grid layout of the individual ccd cells are wired. 

I asked some serious questions, which you, much like NASA, fail to explain.

Cosmic rays are not focused in a narrow beam, so there is no reason for there to be a small beam of light.

I have never seen cosmic rays, nor captured any with a camera.

And speaking of Apollo, odd how none of the alleged Moon photos don't show these phantom flares of cosmic rays.

Yikes.

"Cosmic rays are not focused in a narrow beam, so there is no reason for there to be a small beam of light."

There is no beam of light.

"I have never seen cosmic rays, nor captured any with a camera."

So you've been to Mars?

"And speaking of Apollo, odd how none of the alleged Moon photos don't show these phantom flares of cosmic rays."

The Moon is not Mars.

No, the most logical things are reflected sunlight off a rock, ice or crystal OR a cosmic ray activating a single CCD pixel in the rovers camera. The cosmic ray (actually an energetic particle, not light or an x-ray) doesn't even have to come from that direction. It could come from up, behind or the side, penetrate the cam casing and strike the pixel. Direction is irrelevant. It could even be scatter from a primary impact elsewhere on the rover.

Happens rather often and can even destroy the pixel rendering it "dead" like a dead pixel in terrestrial cameras. Fact is, some spontaneously dead pixels in cams on Earth are from cosmic ray strikes. Same with bad locations on hard drives or bits on memory chips.