SSD To Hard Drive Windows Copy (Best Option)

Question

So having issues with the Size of my SSD and temp folders needed for Plex (among metadata size).

So I need to upgrade the drive. So looking to get a $70 1TB 7200RPM drive instead of trying to upgrade the SSD.

Whats the easiest, and I suppose at the moment, free, option for cloning a windows install and everything on it. I want to turn system off, reboot with new drive, like nothing was changed at all.

4 answers to this question

I would recommend Acronis True Image if you run into driver issues with the hard drives, it has the ability to remove the hardware drivers from its disk image so Windows updates hardware correctly on the target drive which gives it the ability to use your disk image on a VHD in a virtual machine for complete compatibility. I know it costs money so it doesn't meet your original request but is well worth it if you decide to go the paid route or run into issues with the free app's.

Thanks guys.

I was hoping for more discussion, to see and overall like/dislike for software, but that will do :)

You might try macrium reflect free edition

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I used it once to replicate just a "regular"  data hard drive (i.e no system) , but it wasn't faster than copying directly .

I imagine it could work fine to copy a sytem:

it "un-mount" the target hard drive, and "re-mount" it, once the copy is ended.

I second this post. I have used Macrium for this very issue and it worked well. I also use the paid version at work on my server for backups.