Weird bug after updating Windows 8.1 Update 1

Hello there neowinian! Firstly i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm a newbie here seeking for help :)

i'm a lappy user who just finish updating to Windows 8.1 update 1, basically here what happen.

Every time after a restart, when opening any folder, my desktop will just freeze, clicking anything won't do anything while the folder that i open earlier dont have that freeze, i can click back or forward, right click, minimize, maximize the folder while the desktop still freeze in the back. Freeze for 10 to 15 second and after that Boom!! all the folder that i click, right click on the desktop while freezing will all pop out in an instant.

Example, after restart, opening a picture folder, video folder in my document, or opening folder in D: partition.

Some detail, my search or indexing services is turn on.

and, i dont have any idea anymore how to fix this thing without the need to reformat :(

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language. Any help is greatly appreciate!  

Edit: already done both CHKDSK and sfc /scannow. my hd running good, repair some file on sfc but still, the freeze occurred after restart. 

Is there any indication to what it could be in Event Viewer?

Just finish checking the event viewer, restart, opening folder on 7.52 PM, event viewer shows nothing at that time.

Sometimes see this when the Explorer process is trying to connect to a network resource.

Do you have any network shares connected to a drive letter?

Try re run windows update, and install if any

Done, only microsoft office update left. :)

Sometimes see this when the Explorer process is trying to connect to a network resource.

Do you have any network shares connected to a drive letter?

how do i know that? this laptop only connect to my home wifi, thats all. :( and how to turn it off if possible?

how do i know that? this laptop only connect to my home wifi, thats all. :( and how to turn it off if possible?

Start a command window (Start Menu > Search Programs and Files > cmd, select cmd.exe)

Enter 'net use'

This will list any network shares.

EDIT : Actually your menu might look different, I use Classic Shell

Start a command window (Start Menu > Search Programs and Files > cmd, select cmd.exe)

Enter 'net use'

This will list any network shares.

EDIT : Actually your menu might look different, I use Classic Shell

"There are no entries in the list" so im not connected to any..hmmm even its for like 10 to 15 sec of freeze, it happens on every restart or after log in and its getting annoying :(

Change your antivirus, run a sweep trough your temporary files and clean your disk. Reinstall and update drivers, turn off Homegroup from Control Panel.

Run msconfig.exe and remove unnecessary start up items.

Scan your PC for malware.

It doesn't look critical though.

Change your antivirus, run a sweep trough your temporary files and clean your disk. Reinstall and update drivers, turn off Homegroup from Control Panel.

Run msconfig.exe and remove unnecessary start up items.

Scan your PC for malware.

It doesn't look critical though.

Currently using Eset NOD32 Ver 7 (latest) which works flawlessly, why should i change that :( . Homegroup already turn off, not connecting to any. Startup item is clean, already disable useless stuff, gonna look into temp files and reinstall the driver.

Thank you for all your comment, greatly appreciate. gonna dig deeper :)

ok lets do some digging.

Get Speccy from here http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Install and run it, wait for it to finish getting all the info.

Then do File > Save Snapshot. Call it something like dota17.speccy and save it.

Attach it in your reply for me to have a look at.

Also try the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Windows Memory Diagnostic

I think i solved it.

I got this error in event viewer: Servern {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} registrerades inte med DCOM inom erforderlig timeout. (swedish) and when i searched 1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE in regedit i got: hkey_classes_root\clsid\{1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE}\localserver32 and it showed skydrive.exe

I had disabled skydrive/onedrive with this entry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Skydrive] 

"DisableFileSync"=dword:00000001
"DisableLibrariesDefaultSaveToSkyDrive"=dword:00000001

So I just enabled it by removing the entry "DisableFileSync"=dword:00000001 and my problem with freezing was solved.

Now i?m stuck with skydrive instead... but thats another problem..

ok lets do some digging.

Get Speccy from here http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Install and run it, wait for it to finish getting all the info.

Then do File > Save Snapshot. Call it something like dota17.speccy and save it.

Attach it in your reply for me to have a look at.

How to attach the file? 

Also try the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Windows Memory Diagnostic

already done that before, not working :) thx!

I think i solved it.

I got this error in event viewer: Servern {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} registrerades inte med DCOM inom erforderlig timeout. (swedish) and when i searched 1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE in regedit i got: hkey_classes_root\clsid\{1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE}\localserver32 and it showed skydrive.exe

I had disabled skydrive/onedrive with this entry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Skydrive] 

So I just enabled it by removing the entry "DisableFileSync"=dword:00000001 and my problem with freezing was solved.

unfortunately i dont have skydrive/onedrive install and the registry lead me to nothing..so i cant test that :(

I think i solved it.

Dude! looks like the skydrive is the culprit. based on your finding i start some digging. The skydrive file is in System32 folder. What i do is rename the skydrive.exe to skydrive.exe.bac rendering the file useless and restart, voila! no more freeze. but as you said, now we are unable to used skydrive. but thats another problem, luckily i did not used skydrive much this day. so its a temporary solution. thx! :D

Figured it was a file sync issue in a way, that or it was indexing files since it was just updated, you threw a bandaid on a small issue once things settle down and the system is done scanning and indexing 

And no, turning off indexing is not that smart an idea contrary to what some of the geniuses here claim otherwise 

Figured it was a file sync issue in a way, that or it was indexing files since it was just updated, you threw a bandaid on a small issue once things settle down and the system is done scanning and indexing 

And no, turning off indexing is not that smart an idea contrary to what some of the geniuses here claim otherwise 

more like a file sync issue, trace back to skype.exe in system32..if it was indexing files, i think everybody will have the same issue :) thx though. and nope, im not turing off my indexing services.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is the solution:

1. Open gpedit.msc, Local computer policy->Administrative Templates->Windows Components-> OneDrive.

2. Set the first option "Save document sto OneDrive by default" from "Not configured" to "Disabled".

3. Set the second option" Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" to "Enabled".

4. Reboot and recheck the system event viewer, is the error gone?

I think maybe some system applications DO SAVE TO OneDrive or check OneDrive before the second option takes effect.

• 1 month later...

Hi dota17,

I had the same issue since the begging of Update 1

There were many solutions for that problem, but after applying OneDrive was disabled.

The last one I found is very simple and also OneDrive works perfectly:

It is the file called skydriveshell.dll in C:\Windows\System32

I took ownership of this file and renamed to skydriveshell.dl_

Then replaced the file in C:\Windows\System32 with the previous version of that, which was dated September 30 2013 and version 6.3.9600.16397(Copied from one PC in home not Updated with KB2919355)

Everything works fine again with folders and there is no 30 seconds freeze on desktop.

I also logged in using Microsoft Account and everything synchronizes perfectly.

Hello there neowinian! Firstly i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm a newbie here seeking for help :)

i'm a lappy user who just finish updating to Windows 8.1 update 1, basically here what happen.

Every time after a restart, when opening any folder, my desktop will just freeze, clicking anything won't do anything while the folder that i open earlier dont have that freeze, i can click back or forward, right click, minimize, maximize the folder while the desktop still freeze in the back. Freeze for 10 to 15 second and after that Boom!! all the folder that i click, right click on the desktop while freezing will all pop out in an instant.

Example, after restart, opening a picture folder, video folder in my document, or opening folder in D: partition.

Some detail, my search or indexing services is turn on.

and, i dont have any idea anymore how to fix this thing without the need to reformat :(

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language. Any help is greatly appreciate!  

Edit: already done both CHKDSK and sfc /scannow. my hd running good, repair some file on sfc but still, the freeze occurred after restart.