Microsoft pulls Windows 8.1 Update 1 from WSUS

Microsoft has withdrawn Windows 8.1 Update 1 from its Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) platform over reports that it causes client systems to ignore future patches, even as it warns that machines without the update will be left behind at the end of the month.

Sources

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/04/09/windows-blue-81-pulled/1

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2014/04/08/windows-8-1-update-prevents-interaction-with-wsus-3-2-over-ssl.aspx

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-removes-windows-81-update-wsus-update-servers-240129

Great job, MS! ;)

As if there weren't already enough reason for people to dislike Windows 8/8.1! :x

Not that I totally dislike it, but it has caused me almost nothing but headaches from customers who do.

Hard to believe this was not caught in testing. So those who installed from refreshed MSDN ISO images are safe?

Great job, MS! ;)

As if there weren't already enough reason for people to dislike Windows 8/8.1! :x

Not that I totally dislike it, but it has caused me almost nothing but headaches from customers who do.

Then educate your "customers" don't blame MS for their laziness or incompetence

• Like 2

This only affects WSUS 3.2 server.

Workarounds

If you are using WSUS 3.2 on Windows Server 2008 R2, you may perform either of the following steps to restore the scan functionality if you have deployed the Windows 8.1 Update KB2919355.

• Enable TLS 1.2 (follow the instructions under More Information > SCHANNEL\Protocols subkey), or
  • Disable HTTPS on WSUS

If you are using WSUS 3.2 on an operating system other than Windows Server 2008 R2, you may perform the following step to restore the scan functionality.

• Disable HTTPS on WSUS

You surely aren't insinuating that anyone who dislikes Windows 8 lacks education, is lazy or incompetent ?!  :huh:

Yeah, right!

You know how hard it is just to get some of them to learn how to update something as simple as Malwarebytes, or actually do the Windows updates even when the little icon comes up in the system tray?

After reading the articles in the links posted, it doesn't appear to be that big of an issue for regular Joe Blow users.

After reading the articles in the links posted, it doesn't appear to be that big of an issue for regular Joe Blow users.

That's why I put it on the 'Server Support' section.

It is relevant to people who run a WSUS server like I do.

• Like 2

You know how hard it is just to get some of them to learn how to update something as simple as Malwarebytes, or actually do the Windows updates even when the little icon comes up in the system tray?

In 8, the update process is automatic. There is essentially no user interaction necessary by default. :/