#91 OP riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:07

OK....Here we go:

1.png

As you can see, there are two disks. The system disk (I know its the system because it says 230) and another disk which just says 512 B. As its glitchy detecting sizes, I SUPPOSE that the 512 B is my 3TB. I select that one and hit Proceed

2.png

It says at the bottom "Hint: EFI GPT partition table type has been detected" which is correct because I did indeed select GPT. I hit enter select EFI GPT

3.png

I hit enter for the default Analyse

4.png

This window pops up which SEEMS to detect some partiion data. All seem to by Primary and not Deleted. I suppose that this is to detect and not to restore. I interpret the backup option as literally to backup the bytes (not the partitions) to another destination. Therfore I hit enter on Quick Search.

5.png

Not sure about this screen so I just continue.

6.png

Says nothing is found or selected for recovery. I try the Deeper Search.

7.png

Same as before.

8.png

And same as before.

So either

A: It doesnt find anything

B: Im misinterpreting a option on one of the screens.

#92 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 April 2014 - 17:47

On a more positive note (although, it really isnt positive if I cant see any files on the HDD), I see that by installing the Windows Server Essentials Media Pack, I can enable a media server just like in WMP/Windows 7.

The downside is (besides the files) is that it seems to force me to make/join a domain which, like BudMan said, only serves for testing things out in a home enviroment.

#93 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 18:38

You most likely have an issue with your GPT.. I had some problems with my 3TB disk as well, but cleared it up before putting data on it. I used linux VM to check and clear the disk and setup the gpt, etc.

Is there data on this disk that you want to get back, or can you just wipe it? I would just connect it to a linux VM and check it out. Wipe it and make sure your protective mbr and gpt table are good. Then mount it in your windows vm and format the partition ntfs.

#94 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:21

You most likely have an issue with your GPT.. I had some problems with my 3TB disk as well, but cleared it up before putting data on it. I used linux VM to check and clear the disk and setup the gpt, etc.

Is there data on this disk that you want to get back, or can you just wipe it? I would just connect it to a linux VM and check it out. Wipe it and make sure your protective mbr and gpt table are good. Then mount it in your windows vm and format the partition ntfs.

:| It took 7-8 hours to transfer the data from the RAID5 to this disk. I CAN wipe it but I have 0 desire to do it and AGAIN transfer the data.

The thing that I most have fear of is this happening AGAIN. Yeah, backups will be made, but it is time consuming to transfer it all back AGAIN....

*sigh*

Is it possible to boot off a Linux livecd onto this VM and solve these problems without wiping the disk again? Using any Ubuntu disk will work right?

BTW if this is a GPT issue, then next time im going with MBR.

#95 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:26

You can not have more than 2TB with MBR..

You can try and fix it in linux sure, just mount it to any linux distro VM.

You clearly don't have access to the data now, so who cares if it took 24 hours to move the data back.. Just wipe it, and start your xfer before you go to bed.. Wake up and your data will be there. Or you could spend more time dicking with it and maybe fix it maybe not.

#96 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:42

You can not have more than 2TB with MBR..

You can try and fix it in linux sure, just mount it to any linux distro VM.

You clearly don't have access to the data now, so who cares if it took 24 hours to move the data back.. Just wipe it, and start your xfer before you go to bed.. Wake up and your data will be there. Or you could spend more time dicking with it and maybe fix it maybe not.

I thought it was that after 2TB you couldnt boot off it.....

Im gonna try to boot that VM with a Linux LiveCD and see if I can get it up and running again.

Its just that all that wiping, transfering, wiping, transfering.....I actually got thur it taking a nap today so Im not sure if Ill get much sleep tonight.

#97 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:04

MBR does not support partitions larger than 2TB.. Now I believer there are ways of using just MBR and having multiple partitions on the disk.

I don't have a lot of experience in this area, It's only been a few months back got my first 3TB disk.. And put it into use as soon as I had it showing good in linux, and worked through the problems with the stablebit scanner not seeing the full space. So not a lot of messing around with it. The 4k advanced sectors stuff changed stuff as well. Previous experience with storage above 2TB was all done via a SAN, and virtual disks were carved at smaller than 2TB chunks to present to the 2k8 servers anyway.

With the 6TB out already, your going to see larger and larger disks. So you better get used to GPT ;) As the prices keep dropping, I will prob pick up 3TB or 4TB to have just for playing with the formatting and such under different OSes.

#98 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:16

chk.png

Is it actually asking me to do a chkdsk?

#99 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:19

attachicon.gifchk.png

Is it actually asking me to do a chkdsk?

Why is it a shock that it is asking you to run chkdsk? The NTFS filesystem support in Linux was reverse engineered. They don't want to try repairing a file system that isn't publicly documented. That is how you end up having very bad things happen...

#100 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:23

Why is it a shock that it is asking you to run chkdsk? The NTFS filesystem support in Linux was reverse engineered. They don't want to try repairing a file system that isn't publicly documented. That is how you end up having very bad things happen...

I didnt mean the question in a literal sense; Just after wiping, transfering, wiping, transfering, etc. it gets old...

#101 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:17

And where was this wipe - when did you make the gpt table clean, etc.?  Thought you said it was too long to wait to xfer 7 hours or something, etc.

#102 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:14

And where was this wipe - when did you make the gpt table clean, etc.?  Thought you said it was too long to wait to xfer 7 hours or something, etc.

Got up this morning and it still wasnt finished!

Finally done. Put the 3TB and now it can see all the data again. Well, at least Ive testes that this new drive works.

BTW, I was pretty dead on with the 7 hours: Started at 00:13:40 and ended at 07:00:34.

Im uneasy of putting all the drives in the N54L :/

#103 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:50

Well its your system - I have never had issue 1 with any of my drives, other than initial config of the 3TB disk.