Windows Phone 8.1 Preview coming next week!?

got an update, it says its an update to allow for 8.1 to install - its very small.

ah I see my updates added to my first post, I thought it wasn't adding them - hence multiples

took screenshots, will post when phone update is complete.

Got it too. Not much to screenshot though, just maintenance for 8.1 as you said.

Its already downloading a new one though!

I just checked as well and downloaded the small update, I'll see what comes after.

*Edit*

Migrating data, this could take a while.  :P

Same here, initially I was surprised how fast the download was. Rushed to turn off the data connection, but apparently this isn't 8.1 :laugh:

It's a 6 step process, step 3 is the data migration, don't know if 4-6 take long as well, still not done with step 3, at 60%.

It's a 6 step process, step 3 is the data migration, don't know if 4-6 take long as well, still not done with step 3, at 60%.

The last steps don't take much time. Step 3 is really the only one that takes time. Depends on how many files you have.

Gears are turning on my screen now with a very slow moving progress bar seems to be at 1-2% :p

For me it jumps from there to 100 with nothing in between.

4-6 are quick.  But I just got to migration for 8.1 and there's 19 steps. Says "We're getting there...and it'll be worth the wait" :p

The actual install for 8.1 (the gears screen) took like 15-20 minutes alone.

4-6 are quick. But I just got to migration for 8.1 and there's 19 steps. Says "We're getting there...and it'll be worth the wait" :p

Yeah it jumped to nearly 100 shortly after.

Of course after it finished all the other stuff and data migration, I found out this was just to prepare for 8.1 and no I could check for 8.1...

So.. Downloading again, and preparing to install again :)

Bah, trying to get a virtual wi-fi running on the laptop through PowerShell at the moment. :shiftyninja: Update is too big, going to eat all my data and I don't have a router for wireless right now. Going to have to wait for a bit more.

4-6 are quick.  But I just got to migration for 8.1 and there's 19 steps. Says "We're getting there...and it'll be worth the wait" :p

You're right, 8.1 is a 19step process, I'm doing it right now, at step 13 of 19 and going.

8.1 installed and ready to go, I had to login to my email accounts again though, no problem. 

I'm in the preview and I'm getting and update which "makes it easier to install windows phone 8.1". Did anyone go through the same process to update the phone to 8.1?

I'm in the preview and I'm getting and update which "makes it easier to install windows phone 8.1". Did anyone go through the same process to update the phone to 8.1?

yes,everyone did.

Yes, it's a small update to 8.0, the end build number should be 166.  After that update is done and you restart back into the phone it'll check again for another update and this time give you 8.1.

Yes, it's a small update to 8.0, the end build number should be 166.  After that update is done and you restart back into the phone it'll check again for another update and this time give you 8.1.

yes,everyone did.

Thanks guys, got a bit sad when I saw it wasn't the 8.1 update.... Now while typing, my phones kicked into the 8.1 update process. Hurrah. 

Anyone outside the US try changing their locale to US to get Cortana yet?  I wonder what the downsides are, I think you lose access to the store and xbox live if your phones region doesn't match your accounts region.