For one day, Google will let anyone in the US buy Glass

Google is about to make its biggest push yet to get Glass in the hands of as many people as possible. The Verge has obtained documents indicating that the company will open up its "Explorer Program" and make Glass available to anyone who wants to purchase a pair, possibly as soon as next week. It?ll be a limited-time offer, only available for about a day, and only US residents will be eligible to purchase the $1,500 device. Google will also include a free sunglass shade or one of its newly-introduced prescription glasses frames along with any purchase. An internal Google slide shows that the promotion may be announced on April 15th, though all the details of this program have yet to be finalized.

Glass_Slide_560.png

While this program will make Glass available to anyone in the US who wants to buy it, Google makes it clear on the leaked slide that this is an expansion of its existing Explorer program, not a full consumer release (still expected for later in 2014). It sounds like Google simply wants to get the device in the hands of as many people as possible for testing and development purposes ahead of that launch. Alternately, it could be Google's way of clearing out Explorer edition stock ahead of the full consumer launch.

More....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/10/5601464/for-one-day-google-will-let-anyone-in-the-us-buy-glass

no thanks

i still think glass looks tacky and i can't think of any good use for it atm. i'll stick with my pebble watch for now

• Like 2

Sounds great... Excuse me while I sell a kidney to purchase this contraption... :-p

Seriously, no.  I'm not willing to spend that much on ANY techno gadget. 

I just wonder how much it will cost, and how quickly it will sell out. :laugh:

I got into the explorers program and was shocked when I saw the price of them. I never bought them as they are WAY to expensive.

i don't get it folks; this is NEW tech, prototype type not consumer grade. Of course it's expensive, bulky and not optimized! But then it's the price you pay for having access to one of the most hottest items of the last years that, if done properly, will change the way we perceive and use gadgets. i was lucky enough to use a Samsung prototype smartphone back in 2005 (prototype for camera and 3G) and not only i used that phone into death but it changed the perception of the people around me about small cameras and phones. Today is common to see somebody takes pictures and film with such a small camera, but in 2005 it wasn't.

having said that i wish i had the money to buy, use and abuse this device because this is a new dawn of electronics.

i don't get it folks; this is NEW tech, prototype type not consumer grade. Of course it's expensive, bulky and not optimized! But then it's the price you pay for having access to one of the most hottest items of the last years that, if done properly, will change the way we perceive and use gadgets.

In other words, Google has convinced people to hand over $1500 so we can beta-test their new product. Why should we pay to provide a service to them?

They get extra cash by selling an unfinished device and feedback on the device, and then get to sell the corrected version, possibly to the same people.

Will the beta testers at least get a discount on the finished product?

• Like 1

In other words, Google has convinced people to hand over $1500 so we can beta-test their new product. Why should we pay to provide a service to them?

They get extra cash by selling an unfinished device and feedback on the device, and then get to sell the corrected version, possibly to the same people.

Will the beta testers at least get a discount on the finished product?

Like what was mentioned by someone else, the price is most likely used to filter out those who are serious about testing the device and providing valid feed back to Google.

Like what was mentioned by someone else, the price is most likely used to filter out those who are serious about testing the device and providing valid feed back to Google.

Valid point, but it still feels like Google is "double-dipping" here. People pay for the beta version, and then have to hope that the test version still works with the services when the final is released? Or would there be an exchange program? At least a discount on the final version?

It seems like a lot of money for something that might not work properly with the final release.

It seems like a lot of money for something that might not work properly with the final release.

when iphone was released it lacked many things that other phones had; now it's a huge success.

who knew?

when iphone was released it lacked many things that other phones had; now it's a huge success.

who knew?

I'm not talking about whether it's successful or not; in fact I'm assuming it may well be. I'm concerned about the product changing between beta and final, and these people ending up with an unsupported version. That's why I wouldn't fgo for it even if I had the money to spare.

I'm not talking about whether it's successful or not; in fact I'm assuming it may well be. I'm concerned about the product changing between beta and final, and these people ending up with an unsupported version. That's why I wouldn't fgo for it even if I had the money to spare.

i don't get what's so difficult to understand what this product; of course it isn't the final, commercial viable version. It isn't industrially made as well so it gets expensive. Have you tried make an prototype? It's expensive (never mind the R&D of it) and only if it's made in the millions then the price goes down enough for the average joe can buy.

It's the same for other products, say Occulos Rift. The buyer can not expect this to be the final, optimized version: what they are buying is the change of owning a piece of a technologically advanced product that may or may not shape the future. This may became another flop but nevertheless it's a great step into the future of handheld mobile technology.

You can build your own Google Glass at home.

Just write "Punch Here" on a Post-It note and slap it on your forehead.

:rolleyes:

Pass. Wait till it comes down to $19.95 at Walmart. Ridiculous....................................

This isn't the consumer version, it's primarily for people who want to develop applications to work with the product. Essentially, it's the equivalent of a games console devkit. They  just made it available to anyone for a limited time.

This isn't the consumer version, it's primarily for people who want to develop applications to work with the product. Essentially, it's the equivalent of a games console devkit. They  just made it available to anyone for a limited time.

Developers usually pay less to get access to the hardware...

Either way, this isn't the right time to be buying this if you're not in a very niche position (either a developer or extreme outdoors person or something). Otherwise, you're overpaying for something that will not be compatible with whatever is released as an actual product for cheaper and with a more diverse feature set. Ideally, Google will let people cross over for free, but who knows?

I can get a lot of electronics for $1500.

Developers usually pay less to get access to the hardware...

Either way, this isn't the right time to be buying this if you're not in a very niche position (either a developer or extreme outdoors person or something). Otherwise, you're overpaying for something that will not be compatible with whatever is released as an actual product for cheaper and with a more diverse feature set. Ideally, Google will let people cross over for free, but who knows?

I can get a lot of electronics for $1500.

Precisely the point I've been trying to make. I don't mind being an early adopter, but I'd like to be sure that my purchase will still work or can be traded in once the beta ends.