Photo

Before everyone loved XP, they hated it.

winxp

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#16 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:24

XP was awesome for me back in the day. Never disliked anything, except the lousy Luna theme. Always used em3's theme and Konfabulator to dress it up. I miss the days when you could easily customize Windows. Admittedly, I'd probably not bother now, beyond wallpaper.

#17 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:24

I installed XP as soon as betas were available (to replace 2000, which was already a pretty drastic improvement over NT4), changed the theme to Windows Classic, and liked it just fine from there on.

#18 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:34

I miss the days when you could easily customize Windows. Admittedly, I'd probably not bother now, beyond wallpaper.

Me too, but I too, have reached the point where I need my OS to "just work." Admittedly, I just don't have the time anymore to invest in customizing as I once had.  

#19 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:35

I remember talking to a friend of mine that got an early XP computer that had 1Gb of ram and 32Mb graphics card on it and he kept telling me how the computer was blazing fast but he could not use any of his accessories because they were not supported on the new "Xtreamly Poor" version of Windows. and that he didnt have as much customizability with the OS than the previous versions.

and to this day he is still using XP because he does not want to upgrade to the newer versions because they take up too much system resources lol.

#20 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:39

I miss the days when you could easily customize Windows. Admittedly, I'd probably not bother now, beyond wallpaper.

You still can.. what can't be customized now? Still can change the visual style, icons, sounds, cursors, hell even the shell itself, add all sorts of fluff, just like before, no harder than it was in XP.

#21 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:45

I remember Loving it. I never hated XP. I also was able to sustain a 4 year old install.

#22 :B: Rex

:B: Rex

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:48

win xp always ran great for me, especially if you had a good amount of ram

but for me windows 7 actually crashes waaay more than xp ever did

i do miss many features xp has, windows 7 does slow down my work flow

#23 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2014 - 20:52

Hated it.  Didn't get passable till SP2, and still wasn't a fan of it's ability to cheese me off at every turn.  Especially liked how Explorer would randomly seize up or crash on a whim, even better when it left "trails" all over the screen.  Spent more time in BSD and Linux during those years, although they won me back bigtime with 7.

That is what a LOT of Windows 2000 Professional fanatics said about XP.  (I was a beta-tester of XP while using 2000 Professional at work.)  However, one thing XP Pro DID have was the "Classic Menu" option - other than the base Luna theme, it was identical to Windows 2000 Professional.  However, what horked off a lot of folks about XP was driver issues - especially with non-discrete GPUs (onboard video especially gave XP testers, and early users, fits).  I had pretty much stuck with discrete GPUs by then anyway - which was why I didn't have that issue with any Microsoft OS since Windows 3.x.

#24 selphj

selphj

Neowinian

Posted 10 April 2014 - 21:05

Yeah I remember those days.  Most people really liked Windows ME, despite how unstable it was.  Users didn't care for XP.  They didn't like the look of it.  "Who made this?  Fisher Price?"  Their devices didn't work right.  They couldn't print.  Etc. 

#25 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2014 - 21:10

It didn't help that XP (by default) had a child-like animated dog performing your searches...

xp_search_dog.jpg

#26 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 10 April 2014 - 21:16

It didn't help that XP (by default) had a child-like animated dog performing your searches...

xp_search_dog.jpg

It should have been a more sensible paper clip! th.jpg

#27 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2014 - 21:23

I miss Clippy! :(

#28 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

Posted 10 April 2014 - 21:24

Most people really liked Windows ME, despite how unstable it was.  

Hehe...what?

#29 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 10 April 2014 - 21:27

Many of those that I knew that went from 2000 to XP hated it because of the loss of stability and it's out of the box ugliness.

Many of those that I knew that went from 98SE/ME loved it because of the improved stability but hated it because of the increased hardware requirements.

I hated it for the most part, with the exception of the fact that you could theme it relatively easily and there were some exceptionally beautiful themes out there (and especially on here).  In my opinion it wasn't even a passable OS at all, but it was an important stepping stone to get to where we are today - boy what an improvement it is!

#30 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 10 April 2014 - 21:26

From what I can gather most of the initial hate for XP was aimed at the fact that they were upgrading Windows 98/ME era computers which meant driver support was a nightmare for the first couple of years after RTM (that and the fact that it was riddled with security flaws). Most of the usability changes to XP were visual, it wasn't as different from 2K/98/ME as 8 is from 7.