Photo

Before everyone loved XP, they hated it.

winxp

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#121 sinetheo

sinetheo

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:39

XP is not Windows 8. Do not try to make it sound the same.

XP was extremely popular and caught on fast unlike Windows 8 after over a year and a half is barely catching on. Yes I remember there were the Windows 98 die hards and some businesses who prefered to lose more money being hacked and downtime sticking with Windows 98SE than to use XP because the cost accountants didn't want to pay for software upgrades. 

However today 90% of all corporations are refusing to leave XP behind until last year or two unlike XP. The companies that held onto Windows 98 for life in 2004 were in the tiny 15% range. Not the 90% who are kicking and screaming leaving Windows 7.

Where I work we are making people local admins and hacking and disabling security to make XP only apps run in Windows 7 rather than pay for an upgrade. But we waited until the last minute because XP was such an awesome OS and the best ever written according to the staff. If XP were supported for 10 more years they would keep running it until 2024.

Almost everyone loved XP. Yes I had Windows 2000 too back in the early XP era and used it for many years too. However it did not have universal plug and play nor a firewall. Want to do a .torrent? Manually do an exception UGH. IE was stuck at IE 6. DirectX stagnated etc. 

#122 xdot.tk

xdot.tk

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:24

I agree greatly with your observation about the bloat.  However, someone made a wonderful utility called XPLite, which you could use to strip all the unnecessary ######## out of XP.  It's really hard not to like XP, because it was in no way worse than 2000 and it was much better in many ways, not the least of which was speed.  Switch to the classic theme, strip out the ######## with XPLite, and essentially you have a version of Windows 2000 that boots faster, is better for gaming, is just as stable, and probably takes up less disk space.  Don't get me wrong, I adored Windows 2000, too, it just made no sense to hate XP.  By the time Vista came out I was grateful there was finally an update, though; XP was definitely getting dated.

I bought XP Lite...

XPLite.png

I used to strip the hell out of Windows. This was my 2K project which I did manually after reading a lot of stuff on MSFN.org....

C-Drive.jpg

I don't remove anything these days. I mean I turn the silly themes off and use Windows Classic other unnecessary processes but that's about it.

I need to have stock system to help peeps on forums. I can quickly see if a file they're talking about comes stock on XP this way.

#123 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:10

XP is not Windows 8. Do not try to make it sound the same.

XP was extremely popular and caught on fast unlike Windows 8 after over a year and a half is barely catching on. Yes I remember there were the Windows 98 die hards and some businesses who prefered to lose more money being hacked and downtime sticking with Windows 98SE than to use XP because the cost accountants didn't want to pay for software upgrades. 

However today 90% of all corporations are refusing to leave XP behind until last year or two unlike XP. The companies that held onto Windows 98 for life in 2004 were in the tiny 15% range. Not the 90% who are kicking and screaming leaving Windows 7.

Where I work we are making people local admins and hacking and disabling security to make XP only apps run in Windows 7 rather than pay for an upgrade. But we waited until the last minute because XP was such an awesome OS and the best ever written according to the staff. If XP were supported for 10 more years they would keep running it until 2024.

Almost everyone loved XP. Yes I had Windows 2000 too back in the early XP era and used it for many years too. However it did not have universal plug and play nor a firewall. Want to do a .torrent? Manually do an exception UGH. IE was stuck at IE 6. DirectX stagnated etc. 

XP didn't catch on fast. XP didn't enjoy success until after SP2, which was delivered nearly *three* years after RTM.

Also, I'd like a source for "90% of corporations..." The majority of companies have upgraded at this point, and enjoy a healthy Windows 7 network. If you're "hacking" Windows 7, you're doing things wrong. Your applications will fail sooner, rather than later - And that isn't going to be anyone's fault but your own.

#124 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:18

The majority of companies have upgraded at this point, and enjoy a healthy Windows 7 network.

Source?

#125 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:24

Source?

Marketshare and common sense.

#126 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:28

You do realize this was the first version of NT designed for the average user, and the average user is an IDIOT. But guess what they did? They gave you the option to TURN THE DOG OFF!

I liked Merlin the Wizard. He was the best

#127 tuckeratlarge

tuckeratlarge

You can't polish a turd

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:31

I upgraded from 98SE on the day of release and have used, enjoyed, and liked XP from the get go. I still use it today at work as the craft terminal we use only works on XP.

I never once had a problem with it that, I or a crappy program, didn't cause.

Most people, that are not tech savvy, don't care. Most of the haters just jump on the bandwagon slagging it off as it's the cool thing to do. Same with Windows 8.

#128 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:36

Marketshare and common sense.

So, none then, got it.

I work at a large financial company and my machine in the last month finally got upgraded to Win 7. I asked the local IT guy how far along our site was to upgrading and he seemed to hint around 10-20%. I'm confident to say that will accelerate with XP receiving no more patches but to claim that the majority of companies have already upgraded to Win 7 is unfounded with no source.

#129 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:05

So, none then, got it.

I work at a large financial company and my machine in the last month finally got upgraded to Win 7. I asked the local IT guy how far along our site was to upgrading and he seemed to hint around 10-20%. I'm confident to say that will accelerate with XP receiving no more patches but to claim that the majority of companies have already upgraded to Win 7 is unfounded with no source.

Think about it. I doubt there is one business entity today that hasn't completed or started their Windows 7 upgrades. Marketshare for Windows 7 supports this claim. If they haven't like Sintheo appears to claim, then 1) shame on them, and 2) they're literally up the creek right now. I would hate to be that IT director who has to tell management that their network is flapping in the wind.

#130 sinetheo

sinetheo

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:09

Yep, and everyone keeps repeating XP was good by SP 2 then everyone upgraded! No basis on this.

Really. I was around back then and I remember people upgrading left and right. I think it is just a myth. XP was a great OS and windows 8 is not hte same with nearly the same hate and disdain with Windows 8.

Only one employer last decade stayed with Windows 2000 until 2004 when they switched to XP Sp 2. Everyone upgraded except for the few die hards who like today whine about change and how fast their 128 meg pentium II's were with Windows 98. But XP die hards outnumber them today 10 - 1!

XP is different than Windows 98/Windows ME. Windows ME was barely 2 years old and Windows 98SE was just 3?! XP is 12 years! So likewise it has 400% more marketshare assuming people bought the same amount of pcs back then as today which also is untrue.

The Chinese were too poor to buy computers then so we had 400% longer OS support + asia buying computers + people seeing no need to upgrade anymore + bad economy in the west + Hate on Windows 8 more more than luna = a perfect firestorm of strong XP support and those not willing to leave the platform kicking and screaming.

So, none then, got it.

#131 sinetheo

sinetheo

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:17

Think about it. I doubt there is one business entity today that hasn't completed or started their Windows 7 upgrades. Marketshare for Windows 7 supports this claim. If they haven't like Sintheo appears to claim, then 1) shame on them, and 2) they're literally up the creek right now. I would hate to be that IT director who has to tell management that their network is flapping in the wind.

Go google internet marketshare and look at the results or Google businesses staying with XP. 

Zdnet.com has articles on this. My statement was 90% didn't start until the last year or two. Most are still in process like my own and have security disabled and local admins on which will raise support costs but the accountants do not want to update our software. Support or not we are hacking Windows to run our XP non supported apps. When you have a license of $2,000 per pc and reports generated with the ancient tool that are so ingrainded in the business process that we will cease to exist without now, then what are you going to do?:

XP was around 400% longer than Windows 98  and China didn't  have computers back then. Most Chinese buyers still go to cyber cafes where owners never update them still. So longer percentage means app makers only certified their apps to run on XP. Nothing else as late as 2012 for business apps.

I never had issues with XP starting out. The only thing I had to do was upgrade ram and 384 megs were alot in 2001 but were needed to run it good. By 2004 512 megs of ram were the norm to comfortable run it. 

Compared to Windows 98SE the stability and corporate features and yes even security compelled many cheap corporations to upgrade as you could easily make a ROI case for accounting. With Windows 7 that is more difficult and accountants today are more stringent and anti technology compared to 2004

#132 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:19

Source?

lol use the same logic 

#133 DoctorD

DoctorD

Neowinian

Posted 20 April 2014 - 16:32

I work for a school district in NY that is part of a 10-15 district purchasing program. Literally thousands of systems across these districts still using Windows XP....sp2. They refuse to upgrade the systems and the fruitball CIO is trying to convince them they can't upgrade the core 2 duo machines each has 2 gigs of ram and have to purchase new machines. I watched them spend $40,000 on 1 system that has 4 pci slots for their outdated security system on 1 building alone 3 months ago.

#134 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

Posted 20 April 2014 - 17:33

There was never hate but always love!

Windows Whilster was a good and stable replacement throughout its builds.

PS.. during those days Neowin was like the wild wild west :D

Edited by FunkyMike, 20 April 2014 - 17:34.

#135 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 April 2014 - 17:50

In all honesty I never found it any more unstable than 98 was

Seriously?    Strange, yuou must have not installed many programs or hardware.    Win98SE was solid for me, and after upgrading to WinME I managed to see so many crashes and slowdowns, that I had to remove it, I just could not keep using it.

Maybe you were luckier with the hardware...