Impression: Kinect Sports Rivals

kinect sports rivals rare microsoft studios xbox one kinect

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:33

Larry, did you play the previous two games? If so, how does this compare to those?

Kinect has been a complete disaster on Xbox One in terms of motion controls thus far. Almost no games have any motion controls (even fewer are designed specifically for motion controls), they're useless for navigating, and there's no indication it's going to get any better. I'm fine with Microsoft bundling Kinect if they have a clear strategy for it, but if all it's going to do is serve as an IR blaster and voice controller, then they made a colossal mistake.

#17 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:31

Larry, did you play the previous two games? If so, how does this compare to those?

Kinect has been a complete disaster on Xbox One in terms of motion controls thus far. Almost no games have any motion controls (even fewer are designed specifically for motion controls), they're useless for navigating, and there's no indication it's going to get any better. I'm fine with Microsoft bundling Kinect if they have a clear strategy for it, but if all it's going to do is serve as an IR blaster and voice controller, then they made a colossal mistake.

Honestly as someone who has both and only played simple games like Kinect I see no massive performance gains over the last one. Nearly identical with gameplay.. 

#18 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:07

Honestly as someone who has both and only played simple games like Kinect I see no massive performance gains over the last one. Nearly identical with gameplay.. 

Well, I thought the last two were very fun, with only small motion control issues. What would you say if I liked the last outing?

#19 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:30

I did not play the first two games as I actually could not play them even if I wanted to.

To get specific, I actually did pick up Kinect 1.0 when it was released only to discover it did not work in my environment (same exact one that is pictured in the OP) as Kinect 1.0 required more room, I think it was the depth specifically, in order to function properly. So I returned Kinect 1.0 the same day I picked it up after spending about 4 hours trying to get it to work. Luckily the kid working at GameStop was on my side and I had zero issues returning it.

That is one of the main reasons I was interested in seeing how Rivals played, as it has been pretty well publicized by MS that Kinect 2.0 requires less room.

#20 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 April 2014 - 13:12

I think the Kinect controls are vastly improved. In the beginning of the game it takes a scan of your face for your game character which is pretty cool. Not an exact picture of course but in the art of the game and it for sure looks like me. As much as I enjoy it I sometimes have trouble betting the jet ski to move. All you're supposed to do is close your hands and it goes and open your right hand to slow down. I've had both hands closed and opened and closed them and the ski wouldn't go. Maybe it does in fact need some fixes or maybe the April update fixed it.

#21 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 18 April 2014 - 13:16

Was tempted to buy this game, but really put off by it being full price. It's supposed to be a killer app to show the Kinect2 was worth having.

They should've reduced it's price or even given it away

#22 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 18 April 2014 - 13:35

Love the honest reviews DirtyLarry, keep them coming. :)

#23 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 18 April 2014 - 13:39

Well, I thought the last two were very fun, with only small motion control issues. What would you say if I liked the last outing?

If you enjoyed the last lot, you'll love this one. It is a vast improvement over the others and imo a lot more fun. By no means flawless though.