sworph

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2014 - 21:12

I

would

get

a

Roku.

Can a Roku play media from your NAS? I thought it was just for streaming internet media?

#17 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 11 April 2014 - 21:18

I have a WDTV Live Hub and I absolutely love the thing, it plays anything I throw at it, besides its internal 1TB HDD you can attach external storage to it via its back USB ports, the Hub will also scan for any network shares and also make them streamable throughout the house, if you don't want to spend the money for the Hub they also have a high end version without the built in hard drive, my advice to you, get one from the store and try it out, you can always return it, I have had this product for three years and I would buy it again anytime, I also have a Roku and it doesn't compare, only advantage is that Roku has a lot of apps. which the WDTV Live Hub is honestly lacking, but that's about its only downside.

Apps i am not bothered about i can do without any of them being honest

its more the plugging in USB devices and streaming from shares

Its the WDTV Live i am looking at which is basically the hub without the HDD in it :)

#18 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:22

Apps i am not bothered about i can do without any of them being honest

its more the plugging in USB devices and streaming from shares

Its the WDTV Live i am looking at which is basically the hub without the HDD in it :)

Be aware there are several versions of the WDTV Live. The newest model and the one I recommend is the WDTV Live Streaming.

This page lists all the different models and their capabilities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV

#19 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:25

this is the one i am looking at :)

http://www.pixmania....11270&nopopup=1

#20 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:33

this is the one i am looking at :)

http://www.pixmania....11270&nopopup=1

That's the one. (Y)

Seems a bit expensive on that site though, new ones on eBay often sell around $65 (£38.82). I would shop around some. :)

#21 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:41

yeah was just an example :)

#22 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:50

You probably have to set windows 8(goes for 7 to) to manage access based on user account, and you have to turn on password protected sharing(the name is a bit misleading). otherwise it uses the homegroup thing to manage access. 

I have password protected sharing on to, what/where is the manage access based on user account setting you're talking about?  The problem here is that the network shares don't show up at all on the WDTV so it's like my PC isn't showing up at all/not connected.

*edit*  I found it, set it to user accounts instead of the auto homegroup setting, going to see if that changed anything later tonight because it says I have to sign out and back in which I can't do right now.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:53

advanced sharing settings-> Private - > check the "use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" not the homegroup one.