This Is the End of FB We Know It

By Ryan Tate 04.11.14 4:28 pm

Facebook, the company that makes billions from connecting people to each other, is about to make it harder to have a conversation. In the coming weeks, Facebook?s mobile app will be losing its chat feature, a move that will no doubt annoy many regular users. But the gutting likely won?t end there. According to many Facebook watchers, the end of chat is just the first cut in what could eventually lead to the end of Facebook as a single, unified app altogether.

The move is a crystal clear indication that Facebook is truly serious about splitting its service out into a constellation of mobile apps

Facebook notified users and confirmed to the press yesterday that instant messaging functionality will be disappearing from its iOS and Android apps in the coming weeks. If users want to keep chatting, they?ll have to download Facebook?s separate Messenger app. It?s one thing to roll out specialized apps like Messenger, Paper, and Camera as optional alternatives for using Facebook, but quite another to force the issue and risk a real sacrifice in user engagement. Some people will upgrade to the Messenger app right away; many others will not. The net result, at least in the short-term, will be fewer people to chat with. Why would Facebook make that kind of sacrifice?

Source

That doesn't sound too bad. I already have the messenger app for instant messaging. Maybe this will mean a more streamlined Facebook app, removing the features and saying, "if you want them, download the independent app"?

They probably want to eventually replace your phone apps with their own versions, instead of being constrained in a single monolithic app that's specifically Facebook oriented.

That is, replace your camera app with the Facebook camera, your IM app with Facebook's messenger... all of which would be tied to Facebook but also work as more general purpose applications.

They might even eventually merge Facebook messenger and Whatsapp, there's no point in keeping them separated.

They probably want to eventually replace your phone apps with their own versions, instead of being constrained in a single monolithic app that's specifically Facebook oriented.

That is, replace your camera app with the Facebook camera, your IM app with Facebook's messenger... all of which would be tied to Facebook but also work as more general purpose applications.

They might even eventually merge Facebook messenger and Whatsapp, there's no point in keeping them separated.

That sounds reasonable and the next step would be to simply release a FB phone.

Just like any regular IM, everybody I know that uses FB has chat disabled anyway.

I never really have figured out why so many people have some sort of chat/IM app installed on a computer or their phone, and then ALWAYS have them either disabled or are invisible to other users? Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I've been using the messenger app for ages now, I prefer it being separate, more features and easier to see which notification are for what.

(used to be terrible) when if you got a message both messenger and fb would notify you...but ever since they fixed that messenger has been great...

I also don't see them splitting out other parts...what else can be split...what a separate app for just photos or something?...not likley.

Messenger has existed for a few years now, its just they're finally cutting it out of the main app...probably because their usage stats show most people use the messenger app...I don't know anyone who doesn't.

Doesn't mean they'll split everything.

I prefer the Messenger app itself, I don't need my iPhone's battery being drained by notifications of so-and-so commented on a picture I posted last week or X sent you a friend request. There really is no reason to have the Facebook app installed on a cell phone.

Lame, in my opinion. I use FB on my phone occasionally, and it's a lot more convenient to have just one app to occasionally message people or check statuses/post updates, than it is to have individual apps for everything.

I am not amused. Here's hoping this harm's Facebook's obscene financial status.

:whistle: It's the end of Facebook as we know it .. It's the end of Facebook as we know it .. And I feel fiiiiiiiine  :whistle:

:p

this doesn't change anything. I've alrdy using Messenger and i would rather skip 1 step to open FB app and go to chat screen where I can just go to chat directly from Messenger.