• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,127 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:31

Sony took to their PlayStation blog yesterday to congratulate Sucker Punch for Infamous: Second Son racking up a million copies sold just nine days after launch. While it’s no earth-shattering COD or GTA total, those numbers are quite good, and definitely the best in the series’ history.

The news got me thinking about the fate of the other big next-gen launch title released within the past month, Titanfall. How has the game sold since its much-anticipated launch?

Finding information about sales of the game isn’t easy, and is generally a lot of speculation and incomplete data. You won’t find Microsoft or EA blog posts boasting about sales milestones for Titanfall. Rather, you’ll see a loose collection of blogs content to guess at totals, and then VGChartz saying the game has sold 1.45M copies worldwide…as of two weeks ago…in retail stores, which is the only thing they can track.

titan.jpg

It seems odd that given Titanfall’s high profile, more information hasn't been released about sales of the game.

For example Infamous on the PS4 seems to be a case of a less-hyped game beating expectations both in terms of quality, fan engagement and sales. The game well-received among critics and PS4 owners, and sold better than past games. Though the game looked good, it really wasn't heavily advertised, and yet, sales and praise was huge with over 1 million copies sold within 9 days.

Titanfall is proving to be a somewhat stranger case. It rolled in with a huge head of steam, and the review scores to match. But very shortly after release, the buzz seemed to fade abnormally quickly. Players tore through the game’s limited modes, wanted more, and there really wasn’t much else to do. The game is going to be patched and updated with much more content in the future, but so far, it doesn’t feel like the game has capitalized on the goodwill it had ahead of, and even during launch,, but the fact that neither Microsoft, EA or Respawn seems to want to talk sales at all says that it may not have been the unequivocal home run they were hoping for. Perhaps they've found themselves in a Tomb Raider sold-millions-but-still-not-a-success trap which is an unfortunate byproduct of the massively expensive AAA game era.

Titanfall sold in a bundle pack which was cheaper than the RRP of the Standalone Xbox One in some places, it had a huge advertising campaign, huge hype behind it and has only sold 1.25 million copies globally according to VGChartz which is only 250k more than Infamous. EA have said Microsoft didnt secure the sequel as an exclusive and originally I thought it was because they'd make more money if they made it multiplatform but I'm starting to think Microsoft didn't pick it up because it was a failure for a AAA title.

Sources: 

#2 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• 9,672 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:35

We'll find out thursday when npd's come out. Will at least be for the xbone version.  VGchartz is known for coming up with numbers out of their arse.

#3 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,150 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:37

I think someone's projecting in this case, everything I've seens from reputable sources show that it will be a good game that will sell well, it's the game that we've been waiting for before spending any money on a One 

#4 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,127 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:43

I think someone's projecting in this case, everything I've seens from reputable sources show that it will be a good game that will sell well, it's the game that we've been waiting for before spending any money on a One 

Its also available on PC and coming out on the X360.

PC sales are much worse, hopefully it does well on the X360 or it may actually cost EA and Microsoft rather than turn a profit.

#5 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• 1,637 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:52

This is a bit skewed... First, there aren't as many X1's I homes as the PS4's.
The 360 is still Microsoft's Home Run Hitter, and TitanFall is just now releasing on the console.

Does VGChartz take digital titles into consideration. I didn't feel like going to the store to buy the physical copy of TF (or inFamous for that matter), so I just woke up and clicked the button and went to work.

#6 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,127 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:08

This is a bit skewed... First, there aren't as many X1's I homes as the PS4's.
The 360 is still Microsoft's Home Run Hitter, and TitanFall is just now releasing on the console.

Does VGChartz take digital titles into consideration. I didn't feel like going to the store to buy the physical copy of TF (or inFamous for that matter), so I just woke up and clicked the button and went to work.

Nope, VGChartz only takes physical sales into account.

I guess majority of Titanfall sales could have been digital copies but to me it just seems odd that Microsoft, EA nor Respawn have shared sales figures yet which are the only people who would have digital sales figures.

Microsoft has sold over 4 million Xbox One's while the PS4 has almost 7 million sales which does justify why such a hugely hyped game hasn't sold as well as it probably should have compared to a game on a more popular system but does that make it a failure? and is that the only reason why sales weren't so great?

#7 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,577 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:12

Does VGChartz take digital titles into consideration. 

I'm not sure they even take reality in to consideration.

#8 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,292 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:16

I think the original would be correct, the game would of sold big, but interest would of died down tremendously if reports that the game is completed in a few days. 
It was like me and Infamous, I brought it, played it, finished it. Now I have no reason to keep playing it.
I see the same scenario happening here, people have maxed out their characters, and their mechs, and finding little else to do in the game, so they are simply not playing it until new DLC arrives.

#9 webdev511

webdev511

Neowinian

• 212 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:20

The Xbox 360 version just released and there will be no digital download version of it, so we'll see that count as 100% physical. When it comes to replay value, it's no different than any other game, but since play is 100% online, you've got to believe that Respawn is watching the player numbers and will announce a DLC release when they start to see a drop off in the number of players.

#10 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 35,838 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:25

Its not going to be the COD killer yet, maybe come sequels, but to call it a failure is harsh.

Pretty sure sequels will end up being MP.

#11 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:28

Titanfall is blowing the doors off, literally and figuratively.

http://venturebeat.c...on-4-interview/

#12 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,706 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:29

No custom titles for news posts please

OP updated too.

#13 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,127 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:34

This was a week after the release, no sales figures given. We are now in week 5 and still nothing.

Side note: The 1.45 million figure given in the news post from VGChartz is incorrect, VGChartz indicates 1.25 million.

#14 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,762 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:38

:laugh: The idea that Titanfall is a failure is laughable, especially when their best guess at physical sales is 1.45 million.  Wish I could fail and make that much money and be so popular among gamers.

#15 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,901 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:40

Its not going to be the COD killer yet, maybe come sequels, but to call it a failure is harsh.
Pretty sure sequels will end up being MP.

I don't think cod will be killed. Titanfall doesn't need to though, both can coexist.

Once 360 versions launches it'll help I'm sure, but I'm guessing Titanfall sold relatively well, especially for a brand new IP.

Infamous was helped by it being a recognised brand. Both games will have sold well I'm sure, I mean both games caused a spike in sales for their respective consoles.

Looks like VGChartz will start becoming irrellevent to look at game sales if they only do physical sales, I'm betting most of titanfalls PC sales were done digitally. My 2 friends at work who own PS4's bought digital copies of second son.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!