Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, ready to colonize this fall

by Alexander Sliwinski on Apr 12th 2014 11:45AM

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth was just announced at developer Firaxis' panel at PAX East. It's not a sequel to Alpha Centauri (those rights are owned by EA), but 2K Games is finally giving fans the spiritual successor to the sci-fi strategy game they've been constantly nagging Firaxis about for over 10 years.

The elephant in the room has been tackled right up front at the PAX East panel happening right now. Firaxis' Will Miller, who is lead designer on the Beyond Earth project, said, "The heart and soul [of Alpha Centauri] lives at Firaxis. For all the fans of Alpha Centauri, this is the game we've made for you."

Civ_BE_box-art.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-announced-ready-to-colonize-this-fal/

-----

Sid Meier?s Civilization: Beyond Earth announced as spiritual successor to Alpha Centuari

Saturday, 12th April 2014 16:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sid Meier?s Civilization: Beyond Earth was announced as the latest triple-A title from Firaxis Games today during a PAX East 2014 panel.

The game is said to be the spiritual successor to 1999?s Alpha Centuari, which should make fans of the lauded sci-fi turn-based strategy game extremely happy.

Details on the game slipped out ahead of time, due to an early button push by French site JeuxVideoPC, and NeoGAF was able grab the meaty bits from it before the article was pulled.

Here?s a list of featured mentioned in the article:

• Players will go beyond earth as with Alpha Centauri.
  • The game starts on an alien world.
  • Lush, Airy and Fungal are the three world types.
  • Cities built can be expanded to other planets which will include outposts.
  • The player can be the first human to explore a new planet and they may encounter neutral creatures and races.
  • Relics are in the game.
  • Diplomacy can be used with other players from the beginning of the game.
  • Fog of War is still present.
  • Orbital units can be commanded like satellites.
The game is slated for release in the fall on PC and we?ll update this post as more information becomes available.

Civilization-Beyond-Earth-2-156x91.jpgCivilization-Beyond-Earth-4-156x91.jpgCivilization-Beyond-Earth-3-156x91.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/12/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth-announced-as-spiritual-successor-to-alpha-centuari/

:woot:

• Like 2

Huge posts at GI & PCG with details

Civilization: Beyond Earth
Civilization: Beyond Earth Announced - Here's Everything You Want To Know

by Mike Futter on April 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM

CivBE03-610.jpg

My first reaction when I heard that the next Civilization game takes players to an alien world is probably not so different than other strategy fans. "Why not just call it Alpha Centauri?" I muttered to myself. It was also the first question I asked co-lead designer Dave McDonough (who is teamed up with Will Miller) and lead producer Lena Brenk.

"There is a lot of inspiration from Alpha Centauri in this game," McDonough says. "We even have a couple of people who worked on that game still on the team and helping us make the game. It's not Alpha Centauri 2. It's not a sequel. It's a whole new imagining of what civilization in the future, civilization in space could be. There are many homages and nods and winks to Alpha Centauri. And there's a huge creative and spiritual debt we owe to the groundwork that game laid, but this is a whole new idea." It also helps to now that the Alpha Centauri property is still owned by EA. "The heart of Alpha Centauri lives at Firaxis, though," Miller says.

Beyond Earth presents an opportunity for Firaxis to throw off the shackles of human history and give players the chance to sculpt their own destinies. Civilization games typically have a set endpoint at humanities modern age, but Beyond Earth has given Firaxis the opportunity and the challenge of creating a greater sense of freedom.

"There's no modern age arrival point at which time you can crown a winner, so we could decide what it means to win," McDonough says. "We decided to make it the next great leap, the next great turning point in the story of the human race. You get to decide what that is."

The five different victory conditions that represent that next major event in human history are tied to the new technology web. At the start of the game, players will choose leaders and factions (no longer bundled with one another) and choose colonists and equipment to settle the land. Once descending from orbit, the technology web allows players to move in a number of directions.

Continues...

-----

Civilization: Beyond Earth interview - everything you need to know about the new factions, aliens, technology and more

Tom Senior at

17:01 on 12 April 2014

Civilization: Beyond Earth interview - everything you need to know about the new factions, aliens, technology and more

Civilization-Beyond-Earth-610x346.jpg

Civilization: Beyond Earth has been announced. We're the first in the world outside of Firaxis to play it, and you'll be able to read my hands-on impressions in the next issue of PC Gamer UK. While I was at Firaxis, I had the chance to sit down with the two lead designers, Will Miller and David McDonough for a comprehensive hour-long chat about every aspect of Beyond Earth. Read on for details on Beyond Earth's affinities, its dramatic sci-fi tech research web, orbital gun platforms, alien Siege Worms, new high-concept win conditions and loads, loads more.

It's a great big interview, so we've split it into chunks. Here's what you'll find on each page, if you want to skip straight to a bit that interestes you.

Page 2: On building your own faction, merging narrative with game systems, and the three affinities that your civ can pursue.

Page 3: On the planet itself, what the different biomes will be like, alien life, the extreme technologies you can research on the new tech web and the new victory conditions.

Page 4: On AI, diplomacy, extreme espionage, the best units you can research and launching satellites that can shoot lasers.

Page 5: On Beyond Earth's science fiction influences, the design process and the legacy of Civilization.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-interview-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/

As well it SHOULD be the "spiritual successor" to Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire - while EA got those rights by acquiring the publisher (at that time, franchise rights typically belonged to the publisher), Firaxis was the developer of record, and none of the AC/ACX development team went anywhere.

What I like so far are some features that were NOT present in AC/ACX - which was limited to a single non-Earth planet by design - multiple planets FTW.  Diplomacy could be used in AC/ACX from the beginning as well - in fact, you could win a Diplomacy victory.  If anything, this can be seen as somewhat a "prequel" or "reboot" of AC/ACX - mainly because of things that can be done that couldn't be when AC/ACX originally launched.

I'll be watching with bated breath.

WOW WOW, why is this not available NOW? Looks amazing, spectacular and touching trailer. So true. Maybe this will help a little to make people realize we need to put more effort into off world exploration and settlement. As Carl said, the eventual choice of every civilization is spaceflight or extinction.

Aside from the rather unlikley eventuality of launching large payloads from right next to big cities the trailer was breathtaking - loved the combination of advancement/optimism and urgency/pessimism, loved the pyramids surrounded by water, loved Fifth Avenue overcrowded with Blade Runner-esque immigrants...didn't love the use of "mankind", should be humanity :rolleyes:

But yeah, if i'm still alive then day one purchase, too bad it's not out right now heh heh

The player can be the first human to explore a new planet and they may encounter neutral creatures and races.

Firaxis...... aliens creatures......Sectoids please!

Firaxis...... aliens creatures......Sectoids please!

Quite likely the XCOM universe will have a few shout outs included in this one!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's just the screenshots being compressed or something, but those graphics looks like absolute garbage.  Starcraft looks about twice as detailed as that, and it's not exactly a beautiful game by any means.

Gief game plox! Nao!!

(Oh dear, I'm so excited I've slipping into some kind of baby leet speak!)

Geidi Prime as your first settlement?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...