Jump to content



Photo

Browser / e-mail problem

firefox

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 12 April 2014 - 21:55

My Firefox browser has been acting up for a week or so.  (not responding)

 

That seems to have stopped.

 

But now I can't check on my one e-mail account.

 

I can log-in, I can see the list of e-mails. New mail shows up.

 

But I can not read any e-mails, I can not delete anything, I can't read other folders.

 

Also the side ads do not appear.

 

The log-out does not appear.

 

If I use IE 10, everything is normal.

 

 

I have tried clearing cache, reinstalling Firefox, scanning for malware, updating Flash.

 

Any thoughts .... ?

 

Thanks.




#2 Riva

Riva

    Neowinian Senior

  • Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Joined: 11-February 07

Posted 12 April 2014 - 22:11

Are you using any tracking protection add-ons? they sometimes block web services which are essential for some sites.



#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

    Neowinian Senior

  • Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Joined: 20-February 11
  • OS: Windows 7/8.1, BSD Unix, Arch Linux
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 12 April 2014 - 22:12

Uninstalling/reinstalling still leaves your profile data behind I think.  Temporarily make a new profile (run "firefox -p") and see if it still acts wonky or not. 



#4 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 12 April 2014 - 22:12

No add-ons.

 

The only things I have changed in the last month, besides Flash, is not using a Proxy in the settings.

 

I see the JAVA add-on is out of date.

 

Updating now ...



#5 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 12 April 2014 - 22:40

Java exploit removed.

 

Old Java version removed.

 

Latest Java installed.

 

Still not fixed.



#6 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 12 April 2014 - 23:24

Resolved !

 

I went to the extreme of totally uninstalling Firefox, and downloading a version higher.

 

I completely ripped out all Firefox/Mozilla folders and files.

 

I cleaned out the Registry.

 

I then Installed the newer version of Firefox.

 

I'm guessing the Java exploit damaged something or other in the Firefox files.

 

My e-mail account works normally again. :happy: