strategy games, recommendations?

I loved Age of Empires in the old days, for some reason I'm not feeling the same for Civilization IV, any other recommendations? Should I give civilization another shot?

The Civ series is a turn-based strategy while Age of Empires is a Real-time Strategy title, the difference in gameplay is very massive and may be what has put you off Civ. The closest you'll get to AoE is Age of Mythology (updated version is being released on Steam shortly) as that is pretty damn close to what AoE had going for it. I'd also highly recommend Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, and Red Alert 2.

Topic moved

Command and Conquer series

Company of Heroes

Dawn of War series

Total War series

XCOM EU/EW

Civ can be quite daunting at first but once you learn the ropes it's addicitng as hell.

Real full-blown active cognitive strategy game for most part, I think it's in Guild Wars 2.  There are puzzles.  There are strategies.  There are tactics.  There are alternatives routes to achieving same goal.  It's like real life strategy in every turn.  You get to choose what you want to do.  The options or alternatives are not programmed in the game.  You actually have to be very creative to even come up with your own way of playing the game.

Those games listed above are all very limited on strategies.  Extremely limited.