Glow-in-the-dark roads make debut in Netherlands

Im sold, looks amazing!

When can we have some please, there is a nice section of the M4 that could do with some of this.

Yeah, but those are the same sections of the M4 that need dynamiting... :p

Yeah, but those are the same sections of the M4 that need dynamiting... :p

I vote for M25 first... once that is "fixed" then we can move on to the M4

This kind of paint has been around for a while, surprised its taken so long to start using it. At least here in Georgia, they use reflectors on every few lines. I still would prefer this paint idea, but am curious how long the paint lasts on the road

Can't use the reflectors anywhere that it snows often. Plows destroy them.

Unsafe. It won't make accidents where vehicle lights are KO'ed or road obstacles visible like street lights do.

What... These lines do everything normal ones do, only they glow in the dark to. And you can't have street lights everywhere, it's stupid and a waste. Heck the new main roads they're building in Norway now don't have street lights, instead they have rows of small little poles in the middle between the directions with a little dot of light on. And for the ramps on and off they lights will be green on one side and red on the other, so if you drive the wrong directions onto a highway you're driving against a lot of red dots.

I don't see how that is any better than the normal reflective paint we've already had for decades. I also don't understand how this has anything to do with street lights; this paint is not going to light up objects on the road. I'm having trouble seeing the point of this. It sounds like it is just a "Look at this neat thing we did" project that has no actual benefit other than looking cool; aka a waste of tax money.

Here we're installing solar-LED street lights even into the suburbs.

Solar_Street_Lights.jpg

At only the cost of several thousand times of this paint. Also far more annoying for those who live there who have to have these lights on all the time outside and adding more light pollution. And I live in a small town of 6000 in the area. I live 20km outside the actual town, seems unrealistic and plain stupid to put up these along this whole road. Even if it has relatively high traffic to and from Sweden.

I don't see how that is any better than the reflective paint we've already had for decades. This certainly doesn't have anything to do with street lights, this paint isn't going to light up anything on the road. I'm having trouble seeing the point of this.

Reflective point often has problem actually reflecting since it's so low and has to much of an angle back to the lights it also doesn't work at all when the road gets wet.

Lights serve more purposes than guidance. They're also public safety devices, both for drivers who have had a problem (a flat etc) and they deny miscreants the cover of darkness. Studies show they lower crime rates significantly.

the pics with the roads painted with that glowing paint reminds of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragoon... :woot: :rofl:

Lights serve more purposes than guidance. They're also public safety devices, both for drivers who have had a problem (a flat etc) and they deny miscreants the cover of darkness. Studies show they lower crime rates significantly.

i think this paint isn't a lights replacement since both of them serve different purposes. having said that i wonder how's that project i've read some years ago about the intelligent road (made of a material similar to glass, that used solar panels to gather energy so it could heat it, draw the road marks, etc.)...

Do a whole city's streets like that.. bet that would make for a wicked view via Google Earth.

It would also make a wicked tax assessment.  I'm sure that paint probably runs 10 times the cost.

Unsafe. It won't make accidents where vehicle lights are KO'ed or road obstacles visible like street lights do.

I agree it seems dangerous to completely replace streetlights with this. I'd prefer they get used on all roads, most roads in my county Lincolnshire aren't lit by street lights at all and this would make a world of difference. So many windy country roads with blind bends that aren't marked at all. Only when these roads run through villages and towns do they get lit.

Our existing streetlamps are in the process of being phased out with white LED streetlights that are a hundred times better than the murky yellow/orange bulbs they previously used, and are a tonne more efficient energy wise. 

i think this paint isn't a lights replacement since both of them serve different purposes. having said that i wonder how's that project i've read some years ago about the intelligent road (made of a material similar to glass, that used solar panels to gather energy so it could heat it, draw the road marks, etc.)...

He's saying that because in this trial, it completely replaced streetlights on that stretch of road

He's saying that because in this trial, it completely replaced streetlights on that stretch of road

yes but the trial is just for a half kilometer.

Having said that in my area we have solar powered LED lights that are very powerfull (it's like day) and energy efficient, when compared to traditional bulbs. And some parts of the highways don't have any illumination at all, so this paint could help but it doesn't help to see road hazards.

I'd like to see a real world dash video of someone at night driving with these to see how well they look under normal headlights as they would probably be washed out a little bit.

Our existing streetlamps are in the process of being phased out with white LED streetlights that are a hundred times better than the murky yellow/orange bulbs they previously used, and are a tonne more efficient energy wise. 

Orange light is actually a better streetlight than white/cold white. 

if you compare two streetlights of the same strength, a white and a yellow. the yellow will actually have a bigger area of light where the light actually shows you details and they're a lot better on the eyes. White light appears at first glance better since it "appears" brighter". But it also ruins your night vision and has a faster falloff(accented by the fact that LED light has a faster falloff to begin with).

This kind of paint has been around for a while, surprised its taken so long to start using it. At least here in Georgia, they use reflectors on every few lines. I still would prefer this paint idea, but am curious how long the paint lasts on the road

The question I have is how long will the paint actually stay illuminated for? Hours after sunset? The whole night? I presume a lot longer than the paint on the hands of many clocks.

The question I have is how long will the paint actually stay illuminated for? Hours after sunset? The whole night? I presume a lot longer than the paint on the hands of many clocks.

probably similar, BUT most clocks only have a limited time for "charge" during the day. this will in in light if not direct sunlight all during the day. 

I mean up here it might be an issue when we have a handfull of hours of light a day and the rest is dark. I don't think 5 hours between sunrise and sunset will do. much less the 0 hours further north :p