Photo

Modern video player with closed captions/srt support?

win8 video subtitles

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:14

Hi all,

Is there a Modern Video player in the Store that supports closed captions ans SRT files?

I ripped my DVD collections a while ago, with the closed captions wher available on disk.

On my regular Win8 pc I can use Media Player Clalssic or VLC to watch the video and turn on closed captions. Or add the srt file when available.

On my Surface 2, I have the XBoxVvideo player and Multimedia8 installed.

With neither one I can show and/or select my embedded captions in the video.

All the helppages on this only mention an XBOX, and somehow the UI options are different and missing on RT.

I have no captions options when using the settings charm, or see a closed captions option when pres&hold a playing video.

Neither is there anything on captions in the "playback options" menu, just "repeat off".

So if someone got this working, or has a videoplayer installed that actually supports embedded closed captions, please let me know. :)

It makes my life a lot easier when streaming a movie from my home server.

cheers all,

rob

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:36

From a brief look it seems that VLC is available for WinRT. Would that work?

#3 OP Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:48

It seems it's not through 'customs' yet......

If I find the VLC player in the Store, I get an error when trying to install it on my Surface 2.

But I find it odd that no video player in the Store supports this basic feature.

Not all video files are pirated, so that argument would be silly. I ripped my DVD collection so it's more portable.

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:54

You could try PressPlay Video which apparently supports subtitles.

#5 OP Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:32

Nope.

I've tested multiple videos, but it seems every is talking about -external- subtitles files like .srt's

I have ripped my DVD's with the subtitles embedded, and it seem none of the Modern apps can access these. :-\

Or it's a winRT limitation, that would even be more silly.

#6 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:39

It seems it's not through 'customs' yet......

If I find the VLC player in the Store, I get an error when trying to install it on my Surface 2.

But I find it odd that no video player in the Store supports this basic feature.

Not all video files are pirated, so that argument would be silly. I ripped my DVD collection so it's more portable.

Unfortunately it only works on x86/64 machines right now, They're still working on the ARM version that the Surface 2 needs.

It's also quite buggy. I have it on my laptop, but I haven't successfully played any videos with it yet! Keeps kicking me to Start every time I try,

#7 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:40

Maybe not what you're after, but..
Plex app + Plex media server on your PC.
It'll provide a nice interface and transcode the DVD rips with subtitles. You'll be able to get the plex app for your other mobile devices too.

The only draw back is you need a network connection to your plex media server, be it local network/Ethernet/wifi or internet connection .. unless you're willing to pay for premium that allows sync'd content.

#8 OP Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:18

Have looked at Plex, but too limited/complex when on the road.

I just want to dump a bunch of movies in the Video folder, start one and pick my captions for subs.

Silly enough that's not possible yet :s

#9 OP Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 14 April 2014 - 16:25

Just received some replies from the creator of PressPlay.

VobSub isn't supported yet, just text based subs.

Hopefully it will show up at some point.

I can only assume that the more complex task of adding VobSub to an app, is one of the reasons that Video apps don't have this yet....

#10 Punk 32

Punk 32

Neowinian

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:40

VLC for windows 8 is still in development stage and the beta version is available to the store (Version 0.005). So it would be good if you wait.

BTW there is an app named Multimedia 8 in the store Which supports .srt subtitles, but you have to import the subtitles every time you play a video.

#11 OP Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 03 May 2014 - 15:09

I know, but I want to have a video app that supports -both-  closed captions and srt's.

But closed captions are first on the list, as I converted all my DVD's to harddisk, with subtitles as closed captions.

And VLC isn't out for ARM CPU's yet.