Photo

Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

Poll: WP 8.1 Survey

Are you satisfied overall with the update?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Will this update make you share Windows Phone more?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Windows 8.1 August Update (RT/Standard/Pro), OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (DEV) "Lumia Black" Firmware

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:33

So, if you didn't hear the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview is out today.

http://www.neowin.ne...s-now-available

1. Just register a developer app studio account

2. Download the Preview for Developers app

3. Check for updates

4.Install

I have installed it on my Lumia 521 today, and it just took around 25 minutes. I am excited to play around with Cortana

How have you been liking the update? What are your favorite features?

Start_5F00_ShadowBox_5F00_03_5F00_1080p_

#2 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:39

There's a few things not in this preview that will be in the final version next month or whenever it goes out through carriers etc.  One of them is the new lock screen styles/themes that they showed off at build.  I don't know what else could change by then to but for now I'm liking it, also has anyone changed their region to US so they could try out Cortana?  I'm thinking about doing it but I think you also lose access to the store and so on, it sucks if you have to switch back and forth when you want to get a new app.

#3 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:52

got the update installed. at first i was excited about more tiles on the home screen but i had to revert it back after a few minutes because the data on the large live tiles was just too small to read and it made it pointless for me.

On a side note VPN for me was a HUGE feature that they were adding to the phone however they only support IKEv2 there isnt any IPSEC for the VPN so I cannot use that either :(

#4 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:05

Geoffrey B., on 14 Apr 2014 - 10:52, said:

got the update installed. at first i was excited about more tiles on the home screen but i had to revert it back after a few minutes because the data on the large live tiles was just too small to read and it made it pointless for me.

On a side note VPN for me was a HUGE feature that they were adding to the phone however they only support IKEv2 there isnt any IPSEC for the VPN so I cannot use that either :(

how about PPTP?

#5 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:17

it does support IPsec, but IKEv2 only for keys.

how about PPTP?

no PPTP

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:22

There's a few things not in this preview that will be in the final version next month or whenever it goes out through carriers etc.  One of them is the new lock screen styles/themes that they showed off at build.  I don't know what else could change by then to but for now I'm liking it, also has anyone changed their region to US so they could try out Cortana?  I'm thinking about doing it but I think you also lose access to the store and so on, it sucks if you have to switch back and forth when you want to get a new app.

You can get custom lock screen themes already. The support is there you just need apps to do them. Facebook on 8.1 allows you custom lock screens, though not as fancy as the ones shown of earlier.

#7 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:23

Nope Just IKEv2

Here is a screen capture of the VPN types expanded.

wp_ss_20140414_0001.jpg

it does support IPsec, but IKEv2 only for keys.

no PPTP

How do i get IPSEC to work on it?

#8 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:24

Strangely they seem to have removed the option to view contacts photos via the people hub. Even though the 'what's new' feed shows thumbnail images still. What's more is that if you click on the thumbnails in the 'what's new' feed, you're taken to the Facebook app on the Windows Phone's store.

Not a great update. Prefer it the other way. May as well remove the Facebook integration now, at the top of the 'What's new' feed there is an advert telling me to download the facebook app.

#9 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:32

Strangely they seem to have removed the option to view contacts photos via the people hub. Even though the 'what's new' feed shows thumbnail images still. What's more is that if you click on the thumbnails in the 'what's new' feed, you're taken to the Facebook app on the Windows Phone's store.

Not a great update. Prefer it the other way. May as well remove the Facebook integration now, at the top of the 'What's new' feed there is an advert telling me to download the facebook app.

Click the top, you can select what contacts you want to be shown in there now.

Loving this update! My phone feels a lot more mature. I can see what apps are killing my battery, nice individual volume selectors and I like the notification center. I can't grasp how it only received .1 because this for me sees more feature updates than major iOS versions I've gone through in the past.

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:37

I believe one of the changes was that instead of the hubs handling other services itself, other services/apps will plug into the hubs so that any service can be used in the hub, not just the ones they add support for.

#11 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:41

How do i get IPSEC to work on it?

IKEv1 and IKEv2 are the key exchange protocols used in IPsec. If whatever you're connecting to doesn't support IKEv2,then it wont work,because the wp 8.1 client only supports IKEv2.

#12 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:49

Fail :(  I hope for SSTP support before the release as IPsec is a major pita to setup and use (for a remote a fess vpn) compared to SSTP which is after all a Microsoft technology but with it so close to release and this being the windows phone team I doubt it.

So much for enterprise support then. Fail;

#13 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:51

I can't grasp how it only received .1 because this for me sees more feature updates than major iOS versions I've gone through in the past.

i'm not completely certain but i'm pretty sure it was to unify the version numbers with WP & Windows

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:51

Oh hey, I can set different tones for my 3 mail accounts now.

But where do I set the do not disturb times ?

#15 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:55

Guessing I won't be able to install on my Ascend W1