Do Multivitamins work?

Do Multivitamins work?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do Multivitamins work?

Do multivitamins work?

Personally I don't think so. Never noticed any difference and it's not just one time observation. I went on and off for months, perhaps years; like 6 months on and 6 off, 3 on and 3 off, 1 on and off and so on. I have tried all major brands available in any US, NY supplement store; GNC, Vitamin shoppe, Target, Walmart etc.

What do you guys think? Cast your vote and let us know. After voting, explain why do you think so?

Depending on quality of the vitamins and your body's need, yes they can work to supplement your diet.  They aren't like magic pills though, you most likely won't "feel" a difference.

Unless you have a specific deficit of a certain vitamin that you cannot fix using proper nutrition, there is no point in taking them.

• Like 2

i take a multivitamin every morning, but i'm fully aware that im probably leaking out 90% of the vitamins anyway. call it habit, idk.

Unless you have a specific deficit of a certain vitamin that you cannot fix using proper nutrition, there is no point in taking them.

The usefulness comes into play from the fact that most people don't get proper nutrition in their diets.  If people would correct their diets to include a full spectrum of nutrition that the body needs, then you are correct, there is no point in taking them.

Everyone should be taking D3

As most of the population has a  Vitamin D deficiency

• Like 2

i take a whole food vitamin every day, because i figure if i eat right, i don't need them.  but on the days when i eat poorly, the vitamin might fill in some gaps in vitamins and minerals that i might need.

Well every day that you're not sick, get cancer, die, etc is a pretty good sign that the vitamins are doing something.

I don't believe that vitamins cure things; they prevent things.

Do multivitamins work?

Personally I don't think so. Never noticed any difference and it's not just one time observation. I went on and off for months, perhaps years; like 6 months on and 6 off, 3 on and 3 off, 1 on and off and so on. I have tried all major brands available in any US, NY supplement store; GNC, Vitamin shoppe, Target, Walmart etc.

What do you guys think? Cast your vote and let us know. After voting, explain why do you think so?

You do pass a significant amount of the vitamins in the urine however, the only way to "see" if they "work" is to have blood tests for each vitamin before for a control and then a month or so after. For instance, bloodwork showed my D and B, B12 was very low. My Doctor started me on prescrition D supplements and I took a multi with a high B content. I went back 3 weeks later and reviewed the second blood test both were well on their way up to normal levels. 3 weeks later staying on the supplements and another blood test showed my levels on both to be slightly above medically considered normal.

Also, I have taken 2 generic multivitamins before going to sleep after a  night of drinking and my hangover is not as severe as when I "forgot" to take them. 

Depending on quality of the vitamins and your body's need, yes they can work to supplement your diet.  They aren't like magic pills though, you most likely won't "feel" a difference.

Exactly right! :)

Everyone should be taking D3

As most of the population has a  Vitamin D deficiency

Sure. I know a ton of ladies who seem to lack it.

:shifty:

That must be a U.S thing since where I'm from people don't get Vitamin D deficiency due to our dietary staples.

Depends on what kind of vitamins you take, pills, soft liquid based or intravenous. There are people wich won't retain the vitamins from food or pills and usually pills are like salty water.

One pill or two is more like Placebo and won't make a difference due to small dose.

The only vitamins I heard were effective - intravenous B bags (different name in USA perhaps) wich are given to rickety pacients in hospitals. The pills you find in stores/markets are pure **** like I said above, small, uneffective doses.

Also it is NOT recommended to take vitamins (not even vitamin C) if your body doesn't need it. Eating fresh and healthy,sleeping, sports and again eating equals to 5 boxes/500 store vit pills.

Its all about genes lads.

most multivitamins are of poor quality

that being said. 

every study shows you're not gaining any health benefits supplementing your diet with vitamins. really only take them if you don't get the stuff from your diet or are noticing symptoms of a deficiency 

That must be a U.S thing since where I'm from people don't get Vitamin D deficiency due to our dietary staples.

I can't speak for other countries, but it appears that in the US, an alarming amount suffer from Hypovitaminosis D. Roughly 75% of teens and adults suffer from it and it is, at least in part, attributed to an in-door lifestyle and poor diet. Americans do love their fast food. I can't blast anyone for that, I love it too.

Anyway, I take a vitamin supplement with an extra dosage of Vitamin D (700IU) because I am not an outdoor person. I like going outside when it is cloudy, especially when it is raining. So I don't get a lot of sun.

I took them on and off for a couple of years and didn't really notice any difference to my life - not feeling like I have more energy so didn't buy them any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Beliefs. ;)

Beliefs don't dictate efficacy. 

Multivitamins work insofar as they have in them what they say they don, they're not homeopathic crap which is essentially water. Whether you need them or not you'd only know if you went to your Dr. and did testing to determine whether you have a deficiency or not