missouri

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,166 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 19:55

Apparently the threat of a costly ticket isn't enough to slow down drivers passing through work zones on Missouri's highways, so the state is taking extreme measures to solve the dilemma. Missouri's Department of Transportation is preparing to deploy the LRAD sound cannon — a tool (some might say "weapon") that's been used to break up mass gatherings like Occupy Wall Street — to warn motorists that they're going too fast. The device emits a targeted, deafening siren that "easily penetrates the windshield and well-insulated cab of a car, even overriding the vehicle’s engine sounds and a radio turned up loud enough to jam to tunes at highway speeds."

The state has already conducted tests with LRAD (embedded below), loading it onto the back of a truck and sending out verbal "slow vehicles ahead" warnings to nearby vehicles. But now Missouri has committed to the technology by purchasing two of the pricey devices. Transportation officials claim that they provide an unmistakable alert about slower roadwork vehicles up ahead, and insist LRAD will only be directed at speeding drivers that haven't yet moved out of work lanes. Still, critics maintain that the ear-piercing nature of the alerts presents a clear danger in and of itself.

More...

http://www.theverge....k-zone-speeding

#2 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,509 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 14 April 2014 - 20:09

I would think blasting an oncoming car with extremely loud, out-of-nowhere noise would spook the driver to the point of causing an accident. That doesn't seem any safer to me. Also, won't this potentially cause hearing damage to the people in the car?

#3 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,976 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 14 April 2014 - 20:15

"Deafening siren"

Yeah I can see lawsuits a plenty. I certainly would if had my hearing damaged. And yes suddenly spooking drivers with a "deafening" noise is ludicrous. Whoever thought up this project, and whoever approved it need to have their heads examined.

#4 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• 420 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 14 April 2014 - 20:27

LRAD's can be insanely loud. I would be really ticked off if they tried to use those in my state.

#5 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• 7,633 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 20:32

Missouri's DOT reportedly insists the tool will only being used at safe levels

How can it easily pierce the sound isulation of the car, override all noise including loud radio, and be at a "safe" level? How will it not accidentally catch other vehicles in the way of the sound beam?

Just plant a guy there with a radar, problem solved.

#6 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,166 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 20:36

Funny they need a sound cannon when it was recently reported as mall town uses a mocked up crown vic and a dummy officer sitting on the side of the road to slow down speeders.  And this method works.

#7 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• 6,293 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 21:59

don't let them tell you the budget is tight and the state is too broke to help the poor. theres always money to give to buy toys for law enforcement but never any to help the citizens 

#8 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,716 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 14 April 2014 - 22:09

Funny they need a sound cannon when it was recently reported as mall town uses a mocked up crown vic and a dummy officer sitting on the side of the road to slow down speeders.  And this method works.

And it's probably a lot cheaper too.

The LRAD method will kill people...who on earth thought directing a loud noise to someone while they're driving would be a good idea?

#9 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,166 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 22:11

who on earth thought directing a loud noise to someone while they're driving would be a good idea?

I think it will be announced soon that Missouri is the 3rd state to legalize marijuana.

#10 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,976 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 23:46

How can it easily pierce the sound isulation of the car, override all noise including loud radio, and be at a "safe" level? How will it not accidentally catch other vehicles in the way of the sound beam?

Just plant a guy there with a radar, problem solved.

And different cars will be insulated than others, older ones will probably let noise through easily. There's too many variables. A modern car might be well insulated that you don't know if they're blasting music inside. I doubt they're going to guess the noise level and will blast the same volume at cars. There are going to be accidents.

#11 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,903 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 23:51

i wonder this devices usages would increases the like-hood of follow-up accident instead?

#12 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,147 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 23:55

What about people with sensitive hearing??

#13 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 23:56

I would think blasting an oncoming car with extremely loud, out-of-nowhere noise would spook the driver to the point of causing an accident. That doesn't seem any safer to me. Also, won't this potentially cause hearing damage to the people in the car?

Drive the speed limit and you won't need to worry.

What they really need is a device to send a signal to the car computer and cap the speed the car could go.

So deaf drivers are deterred how,again?

#14 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,976 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:00

Drive the speed limit and you won't need to worry.

Until someone else who is speeding gets blasted with the damned thing, swerves and takes you out. 

#15 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,236 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:09

What they really need is a device to send a signal to the car computer and cap the speed the car could go. 

That would be great for trolling BMWs. I would build a transmitter to hack and cap them at school zone speeds.