netherlands prank ip adress twitter apologetic

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,580 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:00

14 is old enough to know whats wrong.  She wanted attention, so give her some, the legal kind.

Not really. A 14 years old can't vote, can't drive, can't buy alcohol and can't have legal sex in lot of places. You can't have a double standard. If they are not old and mature enough to vote, drive, drink and **** then they are not old and mature enough to grasp the gravity of what they are doing.

It's okay for the police to investigate but it should not go further if there's no proof she was going to act. At the very worst put her on some sort of check list at air ports.

Also i hope they did not get her ip from Twitter. It's police job to get such information and if Twitter handled them the info without a proper warrant this is not right at all and this is morally as worse as what she as done.

#32 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,388 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 16:40

Not here it isn't.

Anywhere there are Arab or Jewish folks, you'll find plenty of Ibrahim's.  Abraham is actually a westernised corruption of the middle eastern original.

If you were as well educated as this Dutch girl, you'd know that. ;)   (Sorry, totally couldn't resist that!)

#33 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,970 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 16:58

Not really. A 14 years old can't vote, can't drive, can't buy alcohol and can't have legal sex in lot of places. You can't have a double standard.
>
It's okay for the police to investigate but it should not go further....

In most all of the US the juvenile court judge assigned to the case can cede jurisdiction and allow a minor to be charged as adult.

The lower age limit varies by state but in quite a few this can be done down to ages below 10. In Michigan there is no lower age limit, but the commonly observed limit is 8.

The youngest minor convicted of murder here was 10 when charged, 11 when sentenced.

#34 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,388 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:04

In most all of the US the juvenile court judge assigned to the case can cede jurisdiction and allow a minor to be charged as adult.

The lower age limit varies by state but in quite a few this can be done down to ages below 10. In Michigan there is no lower age limit, but the commonly observed limit is 8.

The youngest minor convicted of murder here was 10 when charged, 11 when sentenced.

Interesting, but also irrelevant really considering this is in Holland. :p

#35 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,970 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:07

Just making the point she's old enough to take FULL legal responsibility so long as the legal system doesn't wimp out.

#36 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,388 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:14

Just making the point she's old enough to take FULL legal responsibility so long as the legal system doesn't wimp out.

Old enough in the USA.

#37 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,396 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:15

Also i hope they did not get her ip from Twitter. It's police job to get such information and if Twitter handled them the info without a proper warrant this is not right at all and this is morally as worse as what she as done.

Twitter is free to do whatever they want if they feel the situation warrants it. however it's very unlikely anyone but the police can identify anyone by IP anyway. 

Old enough in the USA.

Luckily the rest of the world doesn't use the US "justice" system as a point of reference... well not as a point of reference to imitate anyway. 

#38 perochan

perochan

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 4,507 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:21

just a teen doing stupid stuff.

#39 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,580 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:56

Twitter is free to do whatever they want if they feel the situation warrants it.

Where did i say it was illegal ? I said it was not right and morally wrong.

Twitter should give info to the police only.

#40 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,605 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:21

Just posted something on TFP.....

Anyway, hope they dont screw the girls life because of this really really stupid misake.  She is 14 and kids are dumber than ever.  Teach her a lesson and all, but be smart about it.

Yup, a severe ticking off and send her home with her tail between her legs.

#41 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,396 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:32

Where did i say it was illegal ? I said it was not right and morally wrong.

Twitter should give info to the police only.

How is it morally wrong? Someone gave a bomb threat, the threatened company asked for an id and got it(hypothetically, most likely all this was done through the police anyway), it would be more morally questionable if they didn't.

#42 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,895 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:34

Not in agreement at all with the people saying she should be treated lightly as she is only a kid.

The sooner she learns the valuable life lesson that actions have consequences, the better.

I am also not a proponent of the fact that somehow the internet allows one to do things they normally would never do otherwise.

It is time everyone starts to accept the fact the internet is absolutely a facet of everyday life. What one does on it can and should affect ones life outside of it.

I think once everyone comes to terms with this reality, things will become slightly better.

They will always be awful as humans are the base of it at the end of the day, and internet or not, we keep proving our stupidity, however a screen name and a device does not automatically mean all morals cease to exist and there is no such thing as consequences for ones actions.

#43 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,396 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:47

There's a difference between not punishing something, and throwing them in jail for 5 years and 14 years old.

#44 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,049 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:51

There's a difference between not punishing something, and throwing them in jail for 5 years and 14 years old.

I agree.  Too harsh of a legal punishment on a child can have long lasting consequences that really ends up hurting society.  At minimum, we want competent people who obey laws, carry jobs, and ultimately pay their taxes.  Need to be careful when it comes to kids breaking the law not to derail them from that path.  Less they become a burden on society.

It sounds like they have already detained her and are aggressively investigating her.  I'm pretty sure she feels the gravity of the situation now and has probably learned her lesson.  No reason to send her to con-college (jail) so that she can come out worse than ever.

#45 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,871 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:56

Not in agreement at all with the people saying she should be treated lightly as she is only a kid.

The sooner she learns the valuable life lesson that actions have consequences, the better.

I am also not a proponent of the fact that somehow the internet allows one to do things they normally would never do otherwise.

It is time everyone starts to accept the fact the internet is absolutely a facet of everyday life. What one does on it can and should affect ones life outside of it.

I think once everyone comes to terms with this reality, things will become slightly better.

They will always be awful as humans are the base of it at the end of the day, and internet or not, we keep proving our stupidity, however a screen name and a device does not automatically mean all morals cease to exist and there is no such thing as consequences for ones actions.

a community service type thing would be good, but nothing that would result in a criminal tag on her file.

The rest, the copy cats, should be treated harsher. 

Plus to be fair she BLOCKED the FBI !!!!!