Windows Phone 8.1 battery drain

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 plasmarox

plasmarox

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2014 - 21:36

Evening folks

I performed the update yesterday on my Lumia 925, and now the battery drain is much faster - was previously only 2-3% per hour, on standy (5.6 average)m but is now 10% per hour. Anybody else experiencing this?

#2 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 April 2014 - 21:58

Yup... My 1520 usually end the day in around 62%, now after the upgrade it end in the 40's

#3 ZeroHour

ZeroHour

Neowinian

Posted 15 April 2014 - 22:15

Are you guys using Cortana or location services?

#4 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 April 2014 - 22:24

Are you guys using Cortana or location services?

Yup... Does that drain the battery?

#5 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 April 2014 - 22:46

Went to bed last night with 100% battery, woke with 92% (8 hour sleep). Cortana was only activated today so I'll report back with any differences.

#6 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

Posted 16 April 2014 - 00:42

Im using a 920 and have noticed increased battery drain also. I suspect that it is due to the fact I am now using facebooks Messenger app, rather than the more lightweight/efficient Messenging app when it still supported fb chat. Generally badly made/intensive apps are pretty obvious to me because my phone gets very hot to the touch. While the Messenger app doesn't get hot, it does get a very obvious level of warm.

#7 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 April 2014 - 00:45

You can use battery sense to figure out what's draining your battery. For me it seems to be Facebook, which I now don't allow in the background, and IE.

#8 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 April 2014 - 00:48

Im using a 920 and have noticed increased battery drain also. I suspect that it is due to the fact I am now using facebooks Messenger app, rather than the more lightweight/efficient Messenging app when it still supported fb chat. Generally badly made/intensive apps are pretty obvious to me because my phone gets very hot to the touch. While the Messenger app doesn't get hot, it does get a very obvious level of warm.

The messenger app gets hot? ummmm ;)

#9 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:56

The added battery drain, depending on how much it is, could be a mix of the fact that with 8.1 more things can happen/run in the background now and also that we don't have any firmware updates yet so still optimizations with drivers and so on that should put it all back to normal.

Battery sense will show you what's using the most, btw,  for you guys who have said that facebook uses a lot, did you update to the newer 8.1.4.4 version that's just for 8.1 or are you using the older 5.x version from 8.0?

#10 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:40

I have definitely noticed it on my 920 as well. battery sense shows Music and Podcasts as the culprits and I am not surprised - both are really slow and buggy.

#11 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:17

I have definitely noticed it on my 920 as well. battery sense shows Music and Podcasts as the culprits and I am not surprised - both are really slow and buggy.

The Music app is actually an old beta version,  I'm surprised It hasn't been updated though I have a feeling they're working on a new version for many apps that are specific for 8.1 and had to wait for the OS to be more final first.   It shouldn't be long till we see those though, not with new phones coming in May.

#12 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:19

The other way round for me, my battery drain has improved a lot.

#13 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:19

The Music app is actually an old beta version,  I'm surprised It hasn't been updated though I have a feeling they're working on a new version for many apps that are specific for 8.1 and had to wait for the OS to be more final first.   It shouldn't be long till we see those though, not with new phones coming in May.

WMPowerUser claim that an update to the Music app is on its way.

#14 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:21

WMPowerUser claim that an update to the Music app is on its way.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, I'm just shocked that they decided to drop in an old beta of it with 8.1 preview.   I also expect the update to be more of a universal app type deal and to get a update for Windows 8.1 devices to.

#15 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:16

Wouldn't surprise me at all, I'm just shocked that they decided to drop in an old beta of it with 8.1 preview.   I also expect the update to be more of a universal app type deal and to get a update for Windows 8.1 devices to.

I don't think the OS team is responsible for these apps anymore since now core apps are seperate from the OS to ensure faster updates and bug fixes. The Skype team develops the Skype app, the Office team Office and the Xbox team writes the Music, Videos and Games app. They all have their own priorities and aren't on the same schedule as the WP team.