Windows XP Machines won't boot today with MSE from bad definition update

Place I work for had a bunch of computer get hit by this yesterday - to be fair most of our computers were updated to 7 but a company ours just aquired a few months ago stuck us with over 700 XP PC's to support till we can get them all replaced (on the few XP's my company (not counting the aquired company) still had running they run Sep so it didn't hit them anyway.

I doubt you're going to see much coverage of XP on the front page anymore. Especially when it concerned so few users.

Conspiracy theories?  :shiftyninja:

Especially when it concerned so few users.

I don't know about that. A lot of people here seem to think MSE is the best AV since sliced bread, so i'm sure a lot are running it. Even some of them might be running XP. Plus does it really have to concern a user for them to cover it?

How fast did they pull the bad defs? Hopefully pretty quickly or i may get a few calls this weekend and i`ll probably be :x

I just got a call from a customer today that had 2 XP machines get hit by it.

So that makes 4 machines that got hit that I know of. But there again it's mostly because I don't give people MSE.

I just got a call from a customer today that had 2 XP machines get hit by it.

So that makes 4 machines that got hit that I know of. But there again it's mostly because I don't give people MSE.

Me neither bud (been leaning towards Qihoo 360), but there`s allways the ones who heard about these great things on the interwebs so installed it when they allready have an AV running (though probably out of date ;)  )

Sounds like they didn`t pull it super sharpish, and i`m with you, i can`t believe they didn`t test it as it`s affecting Endpoint as well!

I suppose it`s a weekend for being `selective` if you get my drift :)

Cheers for the heads up (Y)

Hello,

For what it is worth, your "asstimate" is very accurate.  I work for a competitor and from the telemetry we see coming back (100M+ machines), about 30% are running a 32-bit version of Microsoft Windows XP.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

To be honest I just guessed and pulled 30% out my ass.

The guy at MS who let this happen must be laughing real hard xD

Why do I find this so amusing?

I don't think we have any XP machines in our company anymore. Even if we did, we use McAfee so we'd be unaffected by this. Now I just need to think of who I suggested MSE to and who is still using XP.