35 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 16 April 2014 - 22:43

PS4 global sales have passed 7 million units

Wednesday, 16th April 2014 23:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation 4 has passed another significant sales milestone, Sony has announced.

playstation_ps4.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment today announced cumulative global PS4 sell-through figures of over 7 million as of April 6.

PS4 software sales has passed 20.5 million, the company said, across both retail and digital.

More than 135 million shares have been made via the Dual Shock 4′s dedicated button, and there have been over 4.9 million gameplay broadcasts via Twitch and Ustream, attracting over 90 million viewing sessions.

“The response from the global gaming community for PS4 has been overwhelming and we are truly humbled that gamers are selecting PS4 as their next generation console of choice,” SCE president and group CEO Andrew House said.

“The PS4 journey has just begun, and although we are still facing difficulties keeping up with the strong demand worldwide, we remain steadfast in our commitment to meet the needs of our customers, and surpassing the wildest expectations of gamers by delivering new user experiences that inspire and engage. We look forward to unveiling many of these experiences to our fans in the coming months.”

Sony expects to reach a total of 120 PS4 games released in 2014, and highlighted upcoming releases Destiny, The Elder Scrolls Online, Alien: Isolation, NBA 2K15, Watch Dogs, Driveclub and The Order 1886, as well as indies N++, GALAK-Z: The Dimensional, Transistor, Secret Ponchos, The Witness, Octodad: Dadliest Catch and Daylight.

The PS4 is currently available in 72 countries and regions worldwide.

http://www.vg247.com...-million-units/

#2 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:06

Chad_daddy.jpg

For reference

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million
1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 20.13 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million

#3 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:13

Impressive. 

I'll get one as soon as it's got some games on it that I'm interested in, that aren't also available for the PC (because if it's available on that, that's where I'm getting them).

#4 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:17

Somehow it keeps rising despite the current drought of big exclusives to justify a purchase.

#5 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:19

Nice numbers.

Definitely shows a fairly healthy console market so far.

#6 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:21

What if I told you I pre-ordered the ps4 in June last year and I still haven't owned a single game for it....

#7 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:24

Picked this up from the blog

On that note, we’ll have some great new details to share with you regarding our upcoming PS4 system software update very soon. Stay tuned!

http://blog.us.plays...ally/#sf2613495

About time

#8 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:43

What if I told you I pre-ordered the ps4 in June last year and I still haven't owned a single game for it....

I'd wonder why you took the plunge on such an expensive gadget seemingly without researching what games were coming out when.

#9 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:27

What is this 2007? "Has no games"? Between the PS4, X1, and PC, i can't even decide what to play when i sit down with some free time. There's tons of stuff on PS4, and more coming. Just in May we have Watch Dogs (getting that on X1 though), The Show, Wolfenstein, and Transistor. And Child of Light by the end of this month. If none of that interests you nor ANY of the games that came out since Nov, then you are clearly not into gaming, so why did you spend so much money on a gaming device?

#10 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:19

What is this 2007? "Has no games"? Between the PS4, X1, and PC, i can't even decide what to play when i sit down with some free time. There's tons of stuff on PS4, and more coming. Just in May we have Watch Dogs (getting that on X1 though), The Show, Wolfenstein, and Transistor. And Child of Light by the end of this month. If none of that interests you nor ANY of the games that came out since Nov, then you are clearly not into gaming, so why did you spend so much money on a gaming device?

I'm just curious why you would buy a multiplatform game for the X1 if you also own the PS4?

Watchdogs on PS4 is going to run at 1080p while on the Xbox it will most likely be sub-1080p, going off every other multiplatform game released on both consoles and also from the developers themselves saying it will run at 1080p on PS4 and not confirming the resolution for the X1.

-Back on topic, impressive numbers for the PS4. Selling 7 million in the time it took for the Wii to sell almost 6 million which was the biggest seller last-gen console.

Also the X1 hasn't sold much more than the Wii U at 4 months and the Wii U is the current flop of current-gen consoles.

#11 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:52

I'm just curious why you would buy a multiplatform game for the X1 if you also own the PS4?

Watchdogs on PS4 is going to run at 1080p while on the Xbox it will most likely be sub-1080p, going off every other multiplatform game released on both consoles and also from the developers themselves saying it will run at 1080p on PS4 and not confirming the resolution for the X1.

-Back on topic, impressive numbers for the PS4. Selling 7 million in the time it took for the Wii to sell almost 6 million which was the biggest seller last-gen console.

Also the X1 hasn't sold much more than the Wii U at 4 months and the Wii U is the current flop of current-gen consoles.

Thanks for noticing and for asking. Well aware of the graphics issue, if that was the main consideration probably the PC would be the logical platform to get the game on. Personally i really enjoy this time, having so much choice, and would like to support all as much as i can afford. Plenty of games to get on PS4 in May, and for myself i enjoy the X1 very much. Not sure why she's become the whipping boy of this generation. Anyway, decided to get Watch Dogs on X1. Feels right!

And while i do believe PS4 is selling more, i know for a fact X1 sales are understated and many go unreported - especially in non supported regions.

But however you look at it, seven million devices in six months is quite a feat!

#12 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:02

Fair play to them the PS4 is a beast and represents great value.

In the intrests of fairness I owned a Xbox 1 for a weekend before it annoyed me so much it got returned to Amazon.  I am disappointed my brief ownerhsip contributes +1 to their sales figures for that unfinished heap of.. :(

#13 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:44

Thanks for noticing and for asking. Well aware of the graphics issue, if that was the main consideration probably the PC would be the logical platform to get the game on. Personally i really enjoy this time, having so much choice, and would like to support all as much as i can afford. Plenty of games to get on PS4 in May, and for myself i enjoy the X1 very much. Not sure why she's become the whipping boy of this generation. Anyway, decided to get Watch Dogs on X1. Feels right!

And while i do believe PS4 is selling more, i know for a fact X1 sales are understated and many go unreported - especially in non supported regions.

But however you look at it, seven million devices in six months is quite a feat!

PS4 - 4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million. (Not 6 months)

Feels right? I don't really get it, It sounds like your limiting yourself to support the X1 over the PS4 by buying a slightly inferior gaming experience due to graphics.

If I owned both I would buy all multiplatform games on the PS4 except the motion/kinect type games which the X1 does better. X1 would be kinect type games & Xbox exclusives, PS4 would be multiplatform games and Sony exclusives.

#14 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:59

PS4 - 4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million. (Not 6 months)

Feels right? I don't really get it, It sounds like your limiting yourself to support the X1 over the PS4 by buying a slightly inferior gaming experience due to graphics.

If I owned both I would buy all multiplatform games on the PS4 except the motion/kinect type games which the X1 does better. X1 would be kinect type games & Xbox exclusives, PS4 would be multiplatform games and Sony exclusives.

How am i limiting myself if it's by choice? Just something i prefer. Actually the more people bash it, the more i want to support X1. Just decided to get Child of Light on it as well.

And to be honest man i find your highlighting of 4 months and 23 days a little...disconcerting. You're not about to start counting the minutes, are you? :rofl:

I totally get that the PS4 has an edge in visuals. It's apparent right from the UI, as i said before. But it's not a big deal to me. The big deal to me is gaming, a hobby that has literally kept me alive on more occasions than i care to note. There's no room for hating or even looking down at this device or that platform when your mindset is like that. If i had enough money i'd go out and get a Wii U right now. Probably an Ouya, too (likely wouldn't choose the Ouya version of Watch Dogs even if one existed, not that utopian/crazy :D )

EDIT: for the record i support Sony equally - how many bought Pure Chess on launch day? Come on!

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 April 2014 - 14:35

Which means....wait for it....the X1 is also the flop of current gen consoles! :laugh: Its a tie.

Fair play to them the PS4 is a beast and represents great value.

In the intrests of fairness I owned a Xbox 1 for a weekend before it annoyed me so much it got returned to Amazon.  I am disappointed my brief ownerhsip contributes +1 to their sales figures for that unfinished heap of.. :(

Well its actually improved a lot since that weekend, but its probably still an unfinished heap of...