Metroidvania-Style Game "Heart Forth, Alicia" Looks Great, Seeks Funds

It's not too often that a game hits Kickstarter and immediately grabs hold of your imagination. Heart Forth, Alicia is one such game, modeled after examples of the "Metroidvania" style of side-scrolling action with RPG elements. The Kickstarter is live, and the trailer below offers a nice sample of what to expect.  

The synopsis:

There?s an island in the sky named Auster, and on it, there?s a small wizard village with the name of Brenia. Centuries ago, a great star struck the Earth: the mountains crumbled, and land and sea poured into a great Void that now lies hidden beneath the clouds. This island and its sister, Quilth, are the last surviving remnants of the Old World.

Half a century ago, the wizards took the power of the Island for themselves. And so, Elth?lian, the Spirit of Light, cursed them never to have children again. 

Today begins the Trial of the last two wizards of the bloodline: Alicia and H?stra.

They are taken to the Hillside to reach the Clearing on their own. But their ceremony to come of age is stopped. One of the wizards has been killed by Elth?lian. That night, the children run away in search for help, but H?stra becomes entranced by the Spirit, and he throws Alicia off the edge of the island.

Alicia awakens in a strange land beneath the clouds: all along, the Old World has remained here, concealed beneath the clouds. Fearing for the safety of her homeland, and for her friend H?stra, Alicia sets off to find a way back and stop the Spirit.

The good news is that Heart Forth, Alicia has already been in development for years, and is seeking its $60k Kickstarter goal in order to bring additional people in to help the game's lone developer, Alonso Martin, finish things up in a timely manner. 

It's already at well over half its goal, and will probably clear it by the time the day is over. Starbound publisher Chucklefish will be publishing Heart Forth, Alicia once it's ready.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/04/16/metroidvania-style-game-heart-forth-alicia-looks-great-seeks-funds

Official Site

Actually looks pretty cool. It's already reached about 53k on Kickstarter with 28 days remaining so I don't think raising funds will be an issue for it.

modeled after examples of the "Metroidvania" style of side-scrolling action with RPG elements

Like there weren't any side-scrolling action games with RPG elements before "Metroid" & "Castlevania", give me a break!

This is the problem with crowd funding games.

you're paying for a game, based n early screenshots and short clips with some fancy description(lets trust the word of a developer on how awesome the game will be... huh Peter Molyneux), You certainly don't know if it will have a good story...

Like there weren't any side-scrolling action games with RPG elements before "Metroid" & "Castlevania", give me a break!

Where does it assert that?

lol the narrator sounds like the South Park commentator guy.  Sound a bit fishy to me.  Game is not fully immersed in 3D aspect.  RPG these days has to be fully 3D world or it is back in the 80s.

lol the narrator sounds like the South Park commentator guy.  Sound a bit fishy to me.  Game is not fully immersed in 3D aspect.  RPG these days has to be fully 3D world or it is back in the 80s.

What... Why? Though I do question the choice of side scroller over something like isometric 2D. BUt it seems like every indie game has to be a side scroller nowadays, preferably with so called "retro" pixelation...

$110,000 - The PS4 Port 

The big one. We know that tons of you have been dying for any news on ports, so we?re incredibly excited to confirm that Heart Forth, Alicia is coming to the PS4! We?re working on implementing the PS4 port into our tiers, so keep an eye out for more news soon. 

If we manage to break through this set of stretch goals, we?ll definitely do our best to be much more punctual with our next set. What will they be? You?ll have to wait and see :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184202489/heart-forth-alicia/posts/814265