Florida Woman on Crack Gives Birth in Motel, Bites off Umbilical Cord

A pregnant Florida woman delivered her baby in a motel bathtub, and that's the least bizarre thing about the circumstances of the child's entry into this mad, mad, mad, mad world.

Chrystal Hassell, 37, had checked into an Ocala, Fla., motel room with her boyfriend and her 11-month-old child, and proceeded to smoke crack for an entire day. Although she was only 7 months pregnant, she started going into labor.

Hassell's boyfriend, Vincent Terry, had left the motel to run an errand, so she delivered the baby herself in the motel bathtub, chewing through the umbilical cord with her teeth.

Afterward, she called Terry and asked him to come back, but he was pulled over for speeding on the way. An officer might have been understanding under the circumstances, but Terry was wanted for attempted murder in Colorado, News 13 reported.

Hassell waited an hour before calling 911, giving the baby breaths to keep it alive, investigators say. She's being charged with child neglect.

The unfortunate baby was airlifted to a Gainesville hospital in critical condition, and the 11-month-old has been placed in foster care. Both parents are now in jail in Marion County.

http://gawker.com/florida-woman-on-crack-gives-birth-in-motel-bites-off-1564228700

• Like 2

The GIF is very disrespectful. Not everyone from Florida is like these two.

No, but Florida certainly has more than its fair share of mentally unstable individuals.

Here's another classic:

A pregnant Florida woman delivered her baby in a motel bathtub, and that's the least bizarre thing about the circumstances of the child's entry into this mad, mad, mad, mad world.

Chrystal Hassell, 37, had checked into an Ocala, Fla., motel room with her boyfriend and her 11-month-old child, and proceeded to smoke crack for an entire day. Although she was only 7 months pregnant, she started going into labor.

Hassell's boyfriend, Vincent Terry, had left the motel to run an errand, so she delivered the baby herself in the motel bathtub, chewing through the umbilical cord with her teeth.

Afterward, she called Terry and asked him to come back, but he was pulled over for speeding on the way. An officer might have been understanding under the circumstances, but Terry was wanted for attempted murder in Colorado, News 13 reported.

Hassell waited an hour before calling 911, giving the baby breaths to keep it alive, investigators say. She's being charged with child neglect.

The unfortunate baby was airlifted to a Gainesville hospital in critical condition, and the 11-month-old has been placed in foster care. Both parents are now in jail in Marion County.

http://gawker.com/florida-woman-on-crack-gives-birth-in-motel-bites-off-1564228700

I love the bugs bunny gif but ----> Terry was wanted for attempted murder in Colorado cough cough  :shifty:  :D 

WTF. Keeping it alive yet charged for neglect to care?

Biting through the tube. How else do you think we are designed to give born, NATURALLY, no tools no scissors. Look at other animals giving birth, some even eat the placenta after giving birth.

Biting through the tube. How else do you think we are designed to give born, NATURALLY, no tools no scissors. Look at other animals giving birth, some even eat the placenta after giving birth.

smoking crack made her go into early labor, smoking cracking with 11 month old in room, waited an hour before calling for medical care for the new born that clearly had problems breathing,   

they could of threw the book at her for 2 counts of endangering for drug use around kid's and the 1 count of neglect for failure to get medical care , if the kid was born addicted that could be an added count also of neglect

No, but Florida certainly has more than its fair share of mentally unstable individuals.

Here's another classic:

Yup, but its a offensive stereotype.

Mexico has the world's largest obesity problem yet everyone blames the US where again not everyone is obese.

Also, if you are going to post a video, please at least get it right: The video says the flight was TO Tampa , not FROM Tampa.

Anyways, Im getting the thread offtopic, sorry about that.

It blows my mind that someone would even question the charges. A pregnant woman smoking crack NEGLECTING the welfare of that child's health, ends up being charged with neglect.

Mexico has the world's largest obesity problem yet everyone blames the US where again not everyone is obese.

Mexico only recently overtook the US when it comes to obesity and that doesn't mean that the US suddenly doesn't have a problem - two-thirds of the population are overweight, of which half are obese. I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

Also, if you are going to post a video, please at least get it right: The video says the flight was TO Tampa , not FROM Tampa.

The flight was from Miami to Tampa.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, except women dying through pregnancy complications were very common until we invented treatments and interventions to reduce the number of women dying during labor.

NATURAL, as you put it, isn't automatically best. When you consider the 'design' of human reproduction & all of the complications it can lead to, it isn't all that well 'designed' by nature at all.

As far as the story goes it is just another day in a miserable society which turns a blind eye to the issues of addiction and desperation.

Mexico only recently overtook the US when it comes to obesity and that doesn't mean that the US suddenly doesn't have a problem - two-thirds of the population are overweight, of which half are obese. I fail to see the point you're trying to make.

Recently? What is "recently"?

The flight was from Miami to Tampa.  :rolleyes:

That was the reason I mentioned the video; I did not look up the actual clip and/or story. After looking it up now, I only see a few sources saying where the flight was from and of course, this is all supposing that she is FROM that state.

I just am mentioning that dont throw everyone in the same sack as it is offensive to those from that state who have NOTHING to do with the insane state of this woman.

Recently? What is "recently"?

Last year, which given the amount of time needed to collect data and analyse it is extremely recent.

That was the reason I mentioned the video; I did not look up the actual clip and/or story. After looking it up now, I only see a few sources saying where the flight was from and of course, this is all supposing that she is FROM that state.

I made no such supposition. We have no way of ascertaining her place of residence, nor do we of the woman in question here. The point is that we see this sort of crazy behaviour occurring more in Florida than in other places.

I'm really not surprised by what happens in Florida any more.