Do I have a virus?

I did a reformat and reinstall of Windows 8 recently because Windows were moving really slowly and everything I typed was really slow. So, I bought Bit Befender and re-installed. BD began findings dozens of viruses having to do with "cookie". I reformatted last week because if was findind dozens of them and I think it was because I visted a torrent site (which I will NEVER do again). However, I am on a totally clean install now with the bare essentials and BD is finding viruses daily. Today it found 3 called "Cookie.BS.Serving-Sys", "Cookie.DoubleClick", and CookieMediaplex. This was after scanning my whole computer and it only finds these viruses in the appdata\local\microsoft\windows\netcookes\low directory. Are these real viruses or false detections by Bit Defender? I always though MSE was enough but apparently not.

Those are all just Cookie files, BitDefender is obviously stupid about cookies and shouldn't be marking them as viruses, maybe it is just saying they are a privacy concern. But there's nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

Check any external devices you are using on your system to make sure they are clean as well.

Torrent sites are pretty safe depending on the site and what you are downloading.  I never got any malware thru one.  Now, P2P programs...sure but I have not used those in a looooooong time.

Check any external devices you are using on your system to make sure they are clean as well.

Torrent sites are pretty safe depending on the site and what you are downloading.  I never got any malware thru one.  Now, P2P programs...sure but I have not used those in a looooooong time.

I do use a USB 3 external drive for backups, I'll scan that thanks.

And then is xebdrome, I thought to but on the other hand I thought maybe something was nfs ting me over and over again.

Well, I scanned the external drive that just has Acronis backups on it and it went amazingly fast but found no viruses. I guess I won't worry.

Those are all just Cookie files, BitDefender is obviously stupid about cookies and shouldn't be marking them as viruses, maybe it is just saying they are a privacy concern. But there's nothing to worry about.

It does flag them as privacy issues not viruses. I use Bitdefender btw.

Not a virus just tracking cookies. I really wish AV companies would stop showing you cookies in it's scan results. They are harmless. SuperAntispyware does the same thing.

With your hardware, things should not be that slow. Burn this to a CD, boot from it, update the definitions and scan all of your drives with it. This includes flash drives, external drives, etc. It takes a while, so let it run over night. 

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/rescuedisk#downloads

Make sure you are installing Windows from a legit ISO. A friend of mine had a pirate copy of a "Permanently Pre-cracked" Windows 8 he torrented that was slip streamed with trojans, keyloggers, and bitcoin mining software. If you want a legit, legal ISO directly from Microsoft, please go here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

If you do go the wipe and reinstall route, you may want to download Samsung's software to restore your SSD to factory defaults. That will eliminate any possible rootkits you may have and get rid of some junk that hasn't been deleted by TRIM.

Good Luck!