How many?

i just read an article today, some like to install and run kwin on xfce based distributions. others use compiz or used emerald in the past.

what i ask myself is if you take all of the most well known linux distributions (the ubuntu derivates, mints, fedoras, debians, etc.) and count every possibility of switching between gnome/unity/mate/cinnamon/xfce/lxde and also the possibility of switching the window manager only, how many unique linuxes would you get?

100? more? any ideas?

100 ? Good grief -- how many versions of Linux do you need ? :wacko:

Been asking myself that ever since I started playing with Linux years ago!

i just read an article today, some like to install and run kwin on xfce based distributions. others use compiz or used emerald in the past.

what i ask myself is if you take all of the most well known linux distributions (the ubuntu derivates, mints, fedoras, debians, etc.) and count every possibility of switching between gnome/unity/mate/cinnamon/xfce/lxde and also the possibility of switching the window manager only, how many unique linuxes would you get?

100? more? any ideas?

There are over a hundred distributions, let alone window managers and desktop environments.  There are a half dozen or so very popular distributions (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Arch, Slackware, etc.) but there's tons of little no name projects or specific purpose distributions that you don't really hear a whole lot about.

Here's just the ones listed for download at Linuxquestions.org

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/search.php?what=distros&orderby=distro_name

There are over a hundred distributions, let alone window managers and desktop environments.  There are a half dozen or so very popular distributions (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Arch, Slackware, etc.) but there's tons of little no name projects or specific purpose distributions that you don't really hear a whole lot about.

To add to that, look on distrowatch.com, their search function is great, based off who, what main WM is, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

:woot:  :woot: