Anyone with Driver Genius?

Some good healthy discussion going on here. I thought we wanted the latest because we are geeks. I guess some people let that get away from them. Think latest Windows Betas/Leaks. 

I'm enough of a geek to know that I don't want the latest if the one I have works and the new drivers doesn't offer something I need to have or something else of benefit. 

I'm enough of a geek to know that I don't want the latest if the one I have works and the new drivers doesn't offer something I need to have or something else of benefit. 

Performance, New Features? ....

Because firstly it didn't come with the PC and secondly they didn't have drivers for it, and thirdly Toshiba never, never has and never will support more than one OS on their computers unless it's a business model. 

oh i didn't know about that, i only deal with Toshiba Business models and there's always drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8 (both 32 and 64 bits); having said that i once saw a HP laptop that only had drivers from Vista upwards, but the client wanted XP on it...he still went away and installed, even that his camera, usb 3 and many features simply didn't work at all.

Some people never learn.

warwagon posted some time ago some utility he used that was pretty good (in his words). I am right now grey about it being for software or/and drivers.

Im gonna have to semidisagree with HawkMan on this; Its better to keep all your drivers up to date. I mean, if you have no problems and just look for upgrading drivers for the hell of it, its pointless but you should always keep all your drivers up to date.

With the exception of updating graphics card drivers i personally think your wasting your time worrying about having the latest driver for everything.

Unless you have some specific issue with a piece of hardware i've never found the need to update most drivers.

Windows Update will usually update drivers anyway i've found. Sure drivers on Windows Update are not always the latest, however I have always found them to be rock solid which is what i look for.

It's like having the latest nighties of a web browser, i guess I'm not a big enough geek to care. I would sooner have a stable system.

Performance, New Features? ....

Performance would be one of the few things that would warrant an update, but outside of graphics drivers, you rarely see performance updates from drivers. new features, only if you need those features. 

warwagon posted some time ago some utility he used that was pretty good (in his words). I am right now grey about it being for software or/and drivers.

Im gonna have to semidisagree with HawkMan on this; Its better to keep all your drivers up to date. I mean, if you have no problems and just look for upgrading drivers for the hell of it, its pointless but you should always keep all your drivers up to date.

new drivers frequently cause stability issues

new drivers frequently cause stability issues

They also frequently fix unstable issues.

Like I said, its better to have the latest drivers but you shouldn't go looking for them unless you have a issue.

They also frequently fix unstable issues.

Like I said, its better to have the latest drivers but you shouldn't go looking for them unless you have a issue.

And that's hy we'v been saying, only upgrade IF there is an issue. if your system is stable don't do it, it's kind of in my first post ;)