new jersey motor vehicle commission first amendment offensive

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 22:18

NEWARK, NJ –  A New Jersey woman claims she was denied a license plate proclaiming herself to be an atheist because it might be considered offensive.

Shannon Morgan said in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that the Motor Vehicle Commission violated her First Amendment rights when its website rejected the plate reading "8THEIST."

The Maurice River Township woman says she also asked for a plate reading "BAPTIST" as a test. The website accepted it.

Messages and emails left for the Motor Vehicle Commission were not immediately returned. A recorded message said the offices were closed because of Good Friday.

New Jersey previously, after a brief flap, approved a request from an atheist group's president for a license plate with the word "atheist." His plate had the number one in place of the letter "i."

source

#2 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 22:28

Had this been the other way around the conservatives would be loudly whining oppression to anybody prepared to listen. About time they realised freedom of speech applies to people who aren't bible thumpers as well.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 22:31

I wonder if JESUS or ALLAH would be OK.

#4 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,751 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 22:46

Personalized license plates are pointless and a waste of money anyways.

#5 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,609 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 22:47

you are also not allowed any swear word, 69 or 420, kind of silly really

#6 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• 2,984 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 18 April 2014 - 22:57

Had this been the other way around the conservatives would be loudly whining oppression to anybody prepared to listen. About time they realised freedom of speech applies to people who aren't bible thumpers as well.

Are you suggesting she's not? She filed a lawsuit for crying out loud. Anyway, I don't see why NJ cares what her license plate says.

#7 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,290 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 23:04

She's doing it wrong. Doesn't she know you are not suppose to use license plates that are easy to read. You are suppose to research it and create a letter number combination which is heard for the brain to remember.

#8 Lachlan

Lachlan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,065 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 23:07

Are you suggesting she's not? She filed a lawsuit for crying out loud. Anyway, I don't see why NJ cares what her license plate says.

other way around, conservative groups would be doing the lawsuits not the individual. 

http://www.wausaudai...t-license-plate

this happened pretty close as well

#9 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,983 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 18 April 2014 - 23:10

She's doing it wrong. Doesn't she know you are not suppose to use license plates that are easy to read. You are suppose to research it and create a letter number combination which is heard for the brain to remember.

coolpl8z_Picture2.jpg

#10 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,290 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 23:11

coolpl8z_Picture2.jpg

AMAZING!!! I LOVE IT! I want it!!! Can I double like your post? :laugh:

Although instead of a 8 at the end they should really make it a B, just in case they remember the pattern. They should also use the Microsoft Product key font. That will make it even harder to tell the 8's and the B's apart.

#11 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 23:33

She wouldn't need to if Christian zealots hadn't tried to suppress her free speech and freedom of religion.

#12 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,147 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 18 April 2014 - 23:50

She should win. After all atheism is only offense to highly religious nuts

#13 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

• 3,089 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 00:10

She wouldn't need to if Christian zealots hadn't tried to suppress her free speech and freedom of religion.

I don't see Christians mentioned anywhere in this article.  She says the website rejected it, not some human being sitting at a desk.  We have no idea if the software they used was programmed by the original company to reject that word based on parameters set by the DMV or if somebody added it on their own.  We also don't know if the primary persons involved aren't Muslim, Hindu, or any of the other major religions that might take offense to somebody proclaiming they are atheist.

That said I may shock you but as a Christian I don't care what her license plate says.  There's no justifiable reason why she should have been rejected.  Many personalized tags have the potential to be offensive.  If they truly wanted to avoid this issue they would be better off not allowing the use of any personalized tags but of course they won't do that because of the money they make.

#14 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,342 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 April 2014 - 00:21

I don't see Christians mentioned anywhere in this article.  She says the website rejected it, not some human being sitting at a desk.  We have no idea if the software they used was programmed by the original company to reject that word based on parameters set by the DMV or if somebody added it on their own.

Somewhere along the line there was a human who determined it was inappropriate. Whether it was because of religious convictions or to avoid potential offence isn't clear but certainly disallowing it has caused offence.

#15 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,983 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 April 2014 - 00:25

Should have tried 4THEIST :)