Woman sues over rejected '8THEIST' license plate

8th-eist.

Now it sounds like Atheist. She is suing for a valid reason. You can't sue somebody for literally nothing. Your "comparison" makes no sense.

I'm not allowed to get the personalized plate that says CRACKER or LUCIFER, should I sue?

I'm not allowed to get the personalized plate that says CRACKER or LUCIFER, should I sue?

Cracker is a racial slur so no. And she stated 8theist got banned, but "Baptist" was allowed. So it's clear the system has picking and choosing what religious plates are permitted. So yes it's a ground to sue.

Your comparison makes just as much sense as before. 

Had this been the other way around the conservatives would be loudly whining oppression to anybody prepared to listen. About time they realised freedom of speech applies to people who aren't bible thumpers as well.

This is a ######ing joke. I hope. Every Goddamn time I turn on the TV, radio ect, there is a left, liberal, non Christian, atheist, bitching about something. I could fill up the Neowin servers posting sources. Then there are the idiots at Westboro Baptist Church...  :huh:  :crazy:

Personalized license plates are pointless and a waste of money anyways.

:blush:

This is a ####ing joke. I hope. Every Goddamn time I turn on the TV, radio ect, there is a left, liberal, non Christian, atheist, bitching about something. I could fill up the Neowin servers posting sources. Then there are the idiots at Westboro Baptist Church...  :huh:  :crazy:

Because right-wing, conservative, Christian, theists never bitch and moan? It's much worse when they do it because they usually do it from a position of privilege and majority. War on Christmas? War on Christians? War on religion? War on Easter? Any of that ###### ring a bell?

Because right-wing, conservative, Christian, theists never bitch and moan? It's much worse when they do it because they usually do it from a position of privilege and majority. War on Christmas? War on Christians? War on religion? War on Easter? Any of that #### ring a bell?

I didn't say they never bitched or moaned. Please re-read my post and re-read the post I replied to.

This is a ####ing joke. I hope. Every time I turn on the TV, radio ect, there is a left, liberal, non Christian, atheist, bitching about something. I could fill up the Neowin servers posting sources. Then there are the idiots at Westboro Baptist Church...  :huh:  :crazy:

I sort of agree.  If someone does not believe in a Supreme Being, why not just keep it to themselves and ignore people who do.

Live your life as you will.

You don't need a special license plate.

I didn't say they never bitched or moaned. Please re-read my post and re-read the post I replied to.

I did. Javik is right: if a religious-based plate (say LVJESUS) had been rejected it would have been on FOX news and Bill O'reilly would have been using it as an example of those poor Christians being persecuted for their faith.

It seems if you are a Christian and stick up for your rights, you are a true hero. Worthy of praise. If you are not and you stick up for yourself, you are an ungrateful trouble maker who should just shut up and go away.

I sort of agree.  If someone does not believe in a Supreme Being, why not just keep it to themselves and ignore people who do.

Live your life as you will.

You don't need a special license plate.

I am sure you also think people shouldn't plaster their bumpers with "Jesus Saves", "God Lives" and Ichthus fish, right? They should keep that to themselves, too?

I did. Javik is right: if a religious-based plate (say LVJESUS) had been rejected it would have been on FOX news and Bill O'reilly would have been using it as an example of those poor Christians being persecuted for their faith.

It seems if you are a Christian and stick up for your rights, you are a true hero. Worthy of praise. If you are not and you stick up for yourself, you are an ungrateful trouble maker who should just shut up and go away.

I did not say Javik wasn't correct. I was expressing my views on his statement. His statement implies that the left never bitches. I was like man, you gotta be kidding me. To clarify, everyday there are "left" leaning folks bitching as much as "right" leaning folks bitching. It's not one sided, ever. 

Cracker is a racial slur so no. And she stated 8theist got banned, but "Baptist" was allowed. So it's clear the system has picking and choosing what religious plates are permitted. So yes it's a ground to sue.

Your comparison makes just as much sense as before. 

It's not a racial slur, I like to eat one cracker a day, with my soup.

It's not a racial slur, I like to eat one cracker a day, with my soup.

It depends on the context of the word. It is a cracker yes, but it is also a derogatory word used against White People. 

It depends on the context of the word. It is a cracker yes, but it is also a derogatory word used against White People. 

I didn't realize white people got offended by that word. I'm white, I don't get offended.

I didn't realize white people got offended by that word. I'm white, I don't get offended.

So thats makes racist words fine? I could find 1 black person who isn't offended by the N word but it's still a horrible word.

So thats makes racist words fine? I could find 1 black person who isn't offended by the N word but it's still a horrible word.

Of course their not offended by the N word if they call themselves that after every other sentence.

Of course their not offended by the N word if they call themselves that after every other sentence.

I'm Black and i'm offended by the word, so your argument is moot.

Also they're are two N words with two different meanings.

I don't see anything wrong with a license plate proclaiming your atheism...  That's not offensive.  I would personally think it's stupid, but that's me. 

Personalized license plates are pointless and a waste of money anyways.

Some can spend a lot of money buying 2 Titans to put in SLI. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and have my own custom plate.

I can't wait until Quebec's law to change over here because we're probably the last place in north America not to have custom plates. Yes! we're that far behind.

OMG ...everyone get off the Religion/NON-Religion Band Wagon......

ISN"T IT THAT OBVIOUS

=   THINK NON-religious objections....

The 8THIEST is too close to the ATHIEST already released under the objection of  readability.   the letters A and 8 in my state are considered SIMILAR looking at a distance and therefore if a plate is already issued  with a one letter change the one off is then  rejected.  The requirement in my state is that there must be at least 2 letter change variants between plates.  So if they have similar rules, then because the guy already owns _theist Then if she resubmits with a change of the I to a 1 then the system may actually let her have it.

This if people would consider they guy in FLA 

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/odd-news/driver-given-red-light-camera-ticket-for-car-he-doesn%E2%80%99t-own--has-never-driven--from-a-city-he%E2%80%99s-never-visited-202848382.html

Though that does not make for good news ....The objection may be that it is too similar to another tag that has been issued.  We have already assumed that the reason is religious when the DMV has not replied as to the reason why.

And the reason I know this is because my father tried to get two tags with similar names but with one off... The first was accepted and the one off was rejected with OBJECTIONABLE as the reason. Then when he added an S to it then it allowed it.

the letters that are considered distance similar are  A,8,D,B,0,O (just to name a few)

so the system may have flagged it for those reasons

The argument is pretty silly, they allowed Athiest so there prob is another reason besides religion why 8thiest isn't allowed like what redvamp is talking about.

This is a ####ing joke. I hope. Every Goddamn time I turn on the TV, radio ect, there is a left, liberal, non Christian, atheist, bitching about something. I could fill up the Neowin servers posting sources. Then there are the idiots at Westboro Baptist Church...  :huh:  :crazy:

If she was allowed to have it, then you would have never heard of this situation. 

OMG ...everyone get off the Religion/NON-Religion Band Wagon......

ISN"T IT THAT OBVIOUS

=   THINK NON-religious objections....

The 8THIEST is too close to the ATHIEST already released under the objection of  readability.   the letters A and 8 in my state are considered SIMILAR looking at a distance and therefore if a plate is already issued  with a one letter change the one off is then  rejected.  The requirement in my state is that there must be at least 2 letter change variants between plates.  So if they have similar rules, then because the guy already owns _theist Then if she resubmits with a change of the I to a 1 then the system may actually let her have it.

This if people would consider they guy in FLA 

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/odd-news/driver-given-red-light-camera-ticket-for-car-he-doesn%E2%80%99t-own--has-never-driven--from-a-city-he%E2%80%99s-never-visited-202848382.html

Though that does not make for good news ....The objection may be that it is too similar to another tag that has been issued.  We have already assumed that the reason is religious when the DMV has not replied as to the reason why.

And the reason I know this is because my father tried to get two tags with similar names but with one off... The first was accepted and the one off was rejected with OBJECTIONABLE as the reason. Then when he added an S to it then it allowed it.

the letters that are considered distance similar are  A,8,D,B,0,O (just to name a few)

so the system may have flagged it for those reasons

In both Missouri and Illinois I was denied plates both similar because they were taken. I tried to get "GREEDY" and "GR33DY" and both were taken. Let's not forget that the NJ DMV denied at first the plate that said "ATHE1ST" then accepted it after it was challenged. That would suggest the word was on the blacklist at some point. NJ might be different and not allow something so similar but I have yet to see anything to suggest that they block similar plates.