Building HTPC w/ gaming capabilities part time

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP MistaT40

MistaT40

Neowinian

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z1/BB Q10

Posted 21 April 2014 - 23:43

You could get the Gigabyte Z87N Mini-ITX motherboard. The only real complaint I've seen about it is the lack of space around the CPU, but if you're using the stock Intel cooler that shouldn't affect you.

Never had a Gigabyte MB - only had Asus and ASROCK........how does Gigabyte compare reliability and qualitywise?  I plan to keep this computer for at least 5-6 years...

#17 blerk

blerk

Banned User

Posted 22 April 2014 - 00:30

Consider the newly released Silverstone Raven Z for an even smaller PC. I have a very similar case to that GD06 in my living room and have grown annoyed at its size, I wish I had gone for something smaller now.

I'm just curious - why did the size annoy you considering it's an HTPC that I assume was tucked away somewhere in a cabinet?

#18 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:25

Never had a Gigabyte MB - only had Asus and ASROCK........how does Gigabyte compare reliability and qualitywise?  I plan to keep this computer for at least 5-6 years...

It would be very hard to quantify the long-term reliability of any motherboard manufacturer and no one has done that scientifically, so I can only give an uninformed opinion. The board has been out for several months now so it has a mature BIOS, and the satisfaction rate on newegg is what you would expect. 100% of its capacitors are solid-state and it has received very good reviews. Therefore I think it's a good choice and that there's little risk of it failing. Of course that could happen, but it could happen with any motherboard.

FWIW, I use a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H in my main PC and I'm very happy with it.

#19 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:30

I'm just curious - why did the size annoy you considering it's an HTPC that I assume was tucked away somewhere in a cabinet?

It's not tucked away, it's sitting on the floor. There's no room for it in the very small table where my TV sits. The shape of the case means that it can't stand vertically. Two things I wish I had thought of before buying that case. :rolleyes:

#20 OP MistaT40

MistaT40

Neowinian

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z1/BB Q10

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:33

It would be very hard to quantify the long-term reliability of any motherboard manufacturer and no one has done that scientifically, so I can only give an uninformed opinion. The board has been out for several months now so it has a mature BIOS, and the satisfaction rate on newegg is what you would expect. 100% of its capacitors are solid-state and it has received very good reviews. Therefore I think it's a good choice and that there's little risk of it failing. Of course that could happen, but it could happen with any motherboard.

Ok - only thing is now........with the Raven Z case, I'm having a tough time finding a optical disc for it...apparently it only takes slot optical disc players, not even slim ones.  That means I can only use Silverstone when I wanted it to be able to do BluRay as well.

Are you still saying you would choose the Raven Z over the GD06 if you could do it again?

#21 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:51

Ok - only thing is now........with the Raven Z case, I'm having a tough time finding a optical disc for it...apparently it only takes slot optical disc players, not even slim ones.  That means I can only use Silverstone when I wanted it to be able to do BluRay as well.

Are you still saying you would choose the Raven Z over the GD06 if you could do it again?

I don't know, might wanna ask at http://www.overclock...-factor-systems , lots of Raven Z owners there. I just threw that out there but maybe there are better choices for you in that form factor. Personally I wish my HTPC could stand vertically and was a lot smaller because it's sitting on the floor, but if you have a neat space for it the GD06-style form factor could work for you.

#22 GUNNER

GUNNER

Now What???

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:03

I love my Silverstone HTPC case. My setup is in my sig.