• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• 8,451 posts
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 21 April 2014 - 00:38

I figured, with so many people on here, there has to be a EMT. Or those with the know-how.

I have a medical bracelet from Key2Life, with a little USB flash disk.

Where EMT's can boot up the USB flash drive right inside the ambulance.

However, the software on it is borked, I can't remember the password, tried 100 different ways. Without the password, I can not edit it. I called up Key2Life, they said I have to buy a new bracelet. (unless I can somehow hack it) I don't want to spend another $50 on it.

Is there a certain format that you can also read? Like PDF, Docx, HTML? If I can come up with a layout, similar to the software, this would save me $50.

#2 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:29

I figured, with so many people on here, there has to be a EMT. Or those with the know-how.

I have a medical bracelet from Key2Life, with a little USB flash disk.

Where EMT's can boot up the USB flash drive right inside the ambulance.

However, the software on it is borked, I can't remember the password, tried 100 different ways. Without the password, I can not edit it. I called up Key2Life, they said I have to buy a new bracelet. (unless I can somehow hack it) I don't want to spend another $50 on it.

Is there a certain format that you can also read? Like PDF, Docx, HTML? If I can come up with a layout, similar to the software, this would save me $50.

This is tricky.  Does your local ambulance companies have a laptop?   We do, however the next ambulance over who would get dispatched in our place if we are out, does not have them.   I have never seen these before.   

What some people have given me before is a little card that's either just regular paper or typed that has Med lists, Allergies and Past Medical History.  Name, Address, DOB,  Telephone, Primary Care Doctor, last four of your social (We can get the rest of it from you).  However at the hospital if you would be unresponsive, at registration I can say your name, DOB, and they'll most likely have everything.  They then print me a demographic sheet that has everything on it with your SS number and insurance.  

If someone gave me a flash drive, I don't think I'd connect it to the laptop,  it's secure upfront.  There would be no way for me to print it off and give it to the hospital.  

Printing it out has to be cheaper and you can have multiple copies available.  If I'm given a copy, I make a copy for myself and the RN who takes the report, the PT get's it back.  

#3 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

• 4,553 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:35

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that they'd even try using it in the first place? I remember from reddit, where an EMT mentioned that if they say a bracelet with a website address to their information, they'd just ignore it since it's too much of a hassle.

#4 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 19:38

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that they'd even try using it in the first place? I remember from reddit, where an EMT mentioned that if they say a bracelet with a website address to their information, they'd just ignore it since it's too much of a hassle.

I check though.  Colors mean something here in my state.  Purple (DNR, NO CPR), Pink (Restricted extremity).   Metal ones if they're unresponsive it may say diabetes or something.    

Reddit.com/r/ems  is a good hangout and ask questions.   

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,376 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:09

Honestly an USB medical bracelet seems like an inefficient and bad way to do this. I can't imagine plugging in a USB drive is at the top or even on the EMT priority list. Maybe if they could make a system where there's a RFID bracelet, and all ambulances has a computer system in the back that automatically reads them shows the info on a big readable screen(at least the important stuff) and automatically prints info for the hospital.

Of course such a system doesn't exist yet. And there's some serious issues regarding security and privacy that would need to be covered.

#6 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• 8,451 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:25

Huh, interesting. I was going to use it as a backup. I already have a metal bracelet that I wear. Name, Address, Phone, DOB. Could just get a card and put it in my wallet, too.

#7 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:37

Huh, interesting. I was going to use it as a backup. I already have a metal bracelet that I wear. Name, Address, Phone, DOB. Could just get a card and put it in my wallet, too.

Card is easy. Although I don't dig through wallets.  If there becomes a point of missing money it's a "he was in my wallet..."  PD can do that for us. Paper though would save you instead of using that.  

#8 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• 8,451 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 20:51

Haha

So at most you would need my name, address, phone, and 4 numbers ss?

I had this thing for about 10 years. So a new one is needed. And my mom wouldn't understand this crap....

#9 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:06

Haha

So at most you would need my name, address, phone, and 4 numbers ss?

I had this thing for about 10 years. So a new one is needed. And my mom wouldn't understand this crap....

Bare minimum to register you would be.  Name,  Address,, DOB and full Social,  however if I only have the last four and say there are two people with the same name, they'd match the name and last four of the social and use that.  

We as providers need the Medication/allergies and past medical history list.  Past Medical History should only list important stuff.  "oh you had open heart surgery?" that's important.  Like Hypertension, Diabetes and so on.  

Wrist/hip surgery isn't as important.    

We use a program that is the record of the care/treatment and so on for the call.   The hospitals look at it, and now it's becoming part of your medical record here.  

#10 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• 8,451 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:15

Unless I gashed my head (again :p), nothing would be important to you, only to the hospital.

But, thanks, I'll keep this in "mind" :)

#11 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 21:31

Unless I gashed my head (again :p), nothing would be important to you, only to the hospital.

But, thanks, I'll keep this in "mind" :)

Everything is "technically" important.  Even more so now then it was years ago.  You want to have the correct information in there so if the hospital looks at it they'll match.   If something happens legal wise, you want that trip sheet to have all the medical related stuff that was given to you.  Medicare cares now because of fraud.  

I did a trip sheet last week,  was the longest ever.  Six pages,  normally it's about three.  That's just the narrative.   Page of medical history and meds, then the demographics.  

#12 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• 8,451 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 22:17

I hear ya. Everyone is having some health problems today. My sister-in-law has so many problem's I can never remember them all. She was in a car crash last year. Luckily, no surgery is needed, it all healed up on its own. There's a whole list on her injuries.

#13 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,690 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 23:09

I hear ya. Everyone is having some health problems today. My sister-in-law has so many problem's I can never remember them all. She was in a car crash last year. Luckily, no surgery is needed, it all healed up on its own. There's a whole list on her injuries.

That sucks a lot. 

Good luck to her!

#14 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• 8,451 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 23:16

OK, good, I found it. A whopper car accident. She's alright though. I'm sure she still gets pains, but she doesn't show it. :)

10247472_10203712675807068_2943436259953

#15 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,244 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 00:03

None of our EMT guys would even bother or have time with a USB drive if they are trying to treat you for any type of major symptoms. And most enterprise setups will lock down USB access on top of that.

You are better off having a simple medical bracelet with the info on it that they can quickly look at in 2 seconds. or have it say "See CARD in Wallet" and carry a larger laminated card in your wallet with full details and ICE info.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!