Runaway Teen boy survives flight from CA to Hawaii

HONOLULU ?  A 16-year-old boy stowed away in the wheel well of a flight from California to Hawaii on Sunday, surviving the trip halfway across the Pacific Ocean unharmed despite frigid temperatures at 38,000 feet and a lack of oxygen, FBI and airline officials said.

FBI spokesman Tom Simon in Honolulu told The Associated Press on Sunday night that the boy was questioned by the FBI after being discovered on the tarmac at the Maui airport with no identification.

"Kid's lucky to be alive," Simon said.

Simon said security footage from the San Jose airport verified that the boy from Santa Clara, Calif., hopped a fence to get to Hawaiian Airlines Flight 45 on Sunday morning. The child had run away from his family after an argument, Simon said. Simon said when the flight landed in Maui, the boy hopped down from the wheel well and started wandering around the airport grounds.

"He was unconscious for the lion's share of the flight," Simon said. The flight lasted about 5 1/2  hours.

Hawaiian Airlines spokeswoman Alison Croyle said airline personnel noticed the boy on the ramp after the flight arrived and immediately notified airport security.

"Our primary concern now is for the well-being of the boy, who is exceptionally lucky to have survived," Croyle said.

Simon said the boy was medically screened and found to be unharmed.

more

16 != child. I do wish they'd stop doing that.  Sure he's not an adult, but he's no child either.

Also, what a moron.

Well in the eyes of the law, it's either one or the other. 

Most people who do this are desperate. He, however, had only had an argument with his family. I wonder how much he knew of the risks involved. He is extremely lucky to be alive. It wouldn't surprise me if he has suffered permanent brain damage from the hypoxia.

all i could think of when i read this was from the Fifth Element when the priest stows away in the plane electrical system even though he went in through the wheels.