Windows isn't activated

So today I turned on my Desktop computer, and it says windows is not activated.

Running on WIndows 8 Pro Build 9200

When I go into "Windows Activation" and click on Activate it says please wait then error comes up "Windows couldn't be activated"

Error code: 0x8007232B

Error Description: DNS name does not exist.

I am sure my windows is genuine I have the package and the product key.

Any advise please?

Call up Microsoft and explain to them your situation. Im sure they will be more than glad to help you.

Have on hand all your information about your Windows 8 license.

The wording of the error message makes me think there are problems with your Internet connection.

But this is a major annoyance I have with Windows 8. I placed an Intel NUC in my living room as a HTPC. I put Windows 8 on it and successfully activated Windows 8 + Windows 8 Media Center Pack. Two days later it was no longer activated and complained that the key was in use... Yes, in use on the same device! The only solution I could see online was to call MS and spend 40+ minutes getting it sorted out via a call center. I just wiped it and put Windows 7 on it. Too much of my time would be wasted when Windows 8 offers nothing really new for a HTPC anyway.

From what I understand you can force a phone login prompt doing the following (in the Run prompt or an Elevated Command Prompt):

slui.exe 4

The wording of the error message makes me think there are problems with your Internet connection.

But this is a major annoyance I have with Windows 8. I placed an Intel NUC in my living room as a HTPC. I put Windows 8 on it and successfully activated Windows 8 + Windows 8 Media Center Pack. Two days later it was no longer activated and complained that the key was in use... Yes, in use on the same device! The only solution I could see online was to call MS and spend 40+ minutes getting it sorted out via a call center. I just wiped it and put Windows 7 on it. Too much of my time would be wasted when Windows 8 offers nothing really new for a HTPC anyway.

From what I understand you can force a phone login prompt doing the following (in the Run prompt or an Elevated Command Prompt):

slui.exe 4

:laugh: :rofl: Man that was a good joke as a solution to this problem.

Anyways, call up Microsoft and explain to them your situation. Im sure they will be more than glad to help you.

Have on hand all your information about your Windows 8 license.

Yup, basically same thing I said.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

BTW, I may be wrong to suppose but you can surf the internet and resolve domains right?

try this Win+R and type in slui 3..put in your key.

This worked for me, I would like to thank all for the advice :)

Win+R > type in slui 3 > put in your key.

or

Open cmd with administrator > type in slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx > slmgr.vbs /ato

This worked for me, I would like to thank all for the advice :)

If I remember correctly, Windows 8.x checks activation every x time. If he has a issue with DNS, it will try to activate again and fail activation. Thats why I (can't speak for LogicalApex) think that it might be better to contact Microsoft directly and explain your situation.

Im glad you fixed it and I hope what Im saying doesnt happen to you.

But I do wonder what caused this error to occur.

Sounds like what LogicalApex says: You have a problem with your internet connection and DNS. It tried to verify activation, failed because it couldnt resolve, and deactivated.

Lets see if it happens again.